Scientists Create Prosthetic Hand That Can Feel

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Scientists Create Prosthetic Hand That Can Feel

Researchers have created a prosthetic hand that stimulates nerves to help amputees feel their fingers again.

If the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131933-Captain-America-The-Winter-Soldier-Gets-Explosive-New-Trailer>recent trailer for Captain America: The Winter Soldier is to be believed, having a robotic limb is pretty cool. That being the case, occasionally real life manages to produce something even niftier than the fictional realm of comics. For instance, while super powered arms are likely still a ways off, prosthetic limbs that can feel are on their way to becoming a common reality.

Researchers working with amputee Dennis Aabo Sørensen, have developed a prosthetic hand that stimulates a person's nerves in such a way that it accurately simulates the sensation of touch that one might feel while using normal fingers. "I could feel things that I hadn't been able to feel in over nine years," said Sørensen, commenting on his experience with the mechanical hand.

The prosthetic is able to achieve this effect thanks to a series of electrodes embedded in Sørensen's arm that work in cooridination with touch sensors in the hand to stimulate his remaining nerves. The feeling produced by this process is so accurate that Sørensen was able to identify objects by touch alone. He was also able to control the strength of his grip and tell how hard or soft an object was without the aid of his sight or hearing. Sadly, this technology probably won't be available for wide scale use for several years. That said, the very fact that it exists is pretty freaking amazing.

Source: <a href=http://gizmodo.com/this-incredible-star-wars-style-bionic-hand-let-an-ampu-1516769341>Gizmodo

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
If this eventually were to see a full release I have a friend who could use something like this. She was born without her left forearm and hand, and the current prosthetic she has is very stiff and rigid. She hates it and generally tries to play games with one hand, she has modified controllers. Really this is an interesting prosthetic and I hope it can get find tuned and get a full release to those that need them.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Neronium said:
If this eventually were to see a full release I have a friend who could use something like this. She was born without her left forearm and hand, and the current prosthetic she has is very stiff and rigid. She hates it and generally tries to play games with one hand, she has modified controllers. Really this is an interesting prosthetic and I hope it can get find tuned and get a full release to those that need them.
Does she try to use the two handed controller, or is she playing with a specialized single handed design? Either way, here's hoping this kind of technology can be of help to her in future.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
StewShearer said:
Does she try to use the two handed controller, or is she playing with a specialized single handed design? Either way, here's hoping this kind of technology can be of help to her in future.
The controller was special made for her to be able to play with one hand. Basically the buttons have been moved to a one handed controller, although the controllers she has only goes to the 6th gen. She has used two handed controllers before, I've seen her use a GameCube controller and she uses her right hand for control stick movement and has a hard time pushing the buttons. It's why she got the one handed controllers after that.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Neronium said:
StewShearer said:
The controller was special made for her to be able to play with one hand. Basically the buttons have been moved to a one handed controller, although the controllers she has only goes to the 6th gen. She has used two handed controllers before, I've seen her use a GameCube controller and she uses her right hand for control stick movement and has a hard time pushing the buttons. It's why she got the one handed controllers after that.
That's what I was wondering. Some of the modified controllers out there are pretty impressive.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I can't help but wonder how long it will take until they develop a full body suit that can feel and begin to implant the brains of the very old and wealthy in them, thus granting indefinate life. And super strength.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
This is amzing. for a long time since i learn about robotic prosthetics i wanted the to create one that can send impulses to nerves to make it "Feel". looks like now thats a reality. Damn, reading escpist lately i feel more and more like we are living in the future.

Neronium said:
what does she think about PC gaming? there are plenty of games that can be controlled with mouse-only so if she likes these genres that would open a lot of games she could play.

Capcha: my spot
no, its not, go away.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Didn't we have a news topic similar to this a while back? I could swear... Well, nevermind. This is cool beans.

Toastngravy

Jan 19, 2009
*Edit. I changed my mind, and have nothing to add worth mentioning. Mods Delete if they happen to pass by. Thanks!*

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
This is cool in so many ways.

First the way science can help people, and the advancements in science / technology itself.

In maybe a decade this will help so many people!
Hopefully

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
LazyAza said:
Adam Jensen would approve of this news.
You speak the truth. I do approve. I approve it a lot.

It's not far fetched at all to believe that this tech will be as advanced as it is Deus Ex in 2027.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
Cool we have come to this great an understanding of the nervous system and anatomy. I really hope there is not some sort of painful malfunction that can happen to those ho have it.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Flutterguy said:
I really hope there is not some sort of painful malfunction that can happen to those ho have it.
I don't think that will be a problem. The thing about technology is that we can make it do what we need. Which means that whoever makes these will probably put some kind of limit to the amount of pain one can experience, or shut down pain receptors completely in certain cases.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Much as I understand the practical applications and how this is a wonderful, miraculous win for people without limbs, right now I'm getting the vision where a guy like the one in the video is just hanging out in a bar when someone picks a fight with him - the fighter grabs the guy's wrist, then jumps back when he realizes it's metal and the guy with the limb says something like "...wouldn't do that if I were you." We are living in an honest-to-god sci-fi movie and I couldn't be happier.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
When I read this article I began to think about this character:

VanQ said:
I can't help but wonder how long it will take until they develop a full body suit that can feel and begin to implant the brains of the very old and wealthy in them, thus granting indefinate life. And super strength.
And I for one welcome our new amputated overlords...

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
StewShearer said:
The prosthetic is able to achieve this effect thanks to a series of electrodes embedded in Sørensen's arm that work in cooridination with touch sensors in the hand to stimulate his remaining nerves.
How long before he's on Neuropozyne [http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Neuropozyne] shots?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
LazyAza said:
Adam Jensen would approve of this news.
You speak the truth. I do approve. I approve it a lot.

It's not far fetched at all to believe that this tech will be as advanced as it is Deus Ex in 2027.
But you still didn't ask for this.