Scientists Create Technology To Guide Dogs By Remote

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Scientists Create Technology To Guide Dogs By Remote

How do you direct a dog from a distance, when you can't use voice commands? With a swanky science harness, of course.

Dogs are used by both law enforcement and military personnel for a multitude of functions, but their uses are sometimes limited because there hasn't been a reliable way to remotely guide them in high-risk situations. Now, a team of scientists at Auburn University has revealed that it has created a remote control system that allows them to guide dogs without any invasive technology.

The technology is actually built into a custom harness that is worn by a dog. Within this harness, there is a GPS unit, sensors, and a radio system that's controlled wirelessly from a computer. Vibrations on the left and right side of the harness, as well as different audio tones, are used to guide the dog.

The team at Auburn University has been testing the harness with a Labrador named Major "and he seems to be doing well when directed to set points that are hundreds of meters apart." Using a Labrador makes a lot of sense, since they're easy to train and are often used as Guide Dogs.

According to one of the scientists involved with the project, there's a lot of potential uses for this technology. Potential situations include using dogs to investigate potential drug dens more stealthily than a person could or delivering emergency supplies to people in a risky environment.

Source: Geek

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Right, because a dog with a satellite on his back is stealthy. Otherwise pretty awesome

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Sweet. So I only need to buy a bunch of dogs and this tech and my conquest for world domination can finlly begin i can start a training facility for them dogs.

>.>

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Now, if that was even remotely subtle, that'd be awesome. As it stands, it just has the potential to be awesome with a little work.

Tiagojdferreira

May 21, 2010
Like every technology they are just in a proof of concept stage, they just want to know that it works. Once it works they'll probably shrink it down to a "stealthy size".

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
[HEADING=2]I thought we already had the technology to stealthily guide dogs by remote...[/HEADING]

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
This would become several times more brilliant if it turned out the device was merely a high def stereo receiver that relayed sheepdog trials whilstles into carefully-inserted earbuds.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
Kalezian said:
lacktheknack said:
Sorry, but nothing about that harness is remotely "stealthy".
Fr said:
anc[is]Right, because a dog with a satellite on his back is stealthy. Otherwise pretty awesome
Cain_Zeros said:
Now, if that was even remotely subtle, that'd be awesome. As it stands, it just has the potential to be awesome with a little work.

now, to collectively burst ye bubbles.

even the grand canyon started out as a simple piss stream.

give it a few more generations of technology and it could be as bulky as a regular K-9 Bulletproof Vest.
Oh I'm sure in time it'll get more subtle, it'll just take that time and effort.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
now if they can only make a remote control cat