Scientists Levitate Baby Mice For Science

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
Kollega said:
Antigravity,huh? Would be cool to use it myself...

Hey,i have an idea! Let's pilfer superconductive magnets from the Large Hadron Collider!
I'd love to do that, just turn up and walk in, then be all like.
"Hey you guys using these?"
"Not for a couple of months"
"You mind if we borrow'em"
"Sure, mind me asking why"
"To make video's of kittens spining around in a gravity void environment"
"All right that makes sense, have fun"
"Cheers"

T'would be awesome.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
To everyone going on about gravity, this is all electromagnetism, it's just being used to keep an object in the middle of a sphere without touching the edges. That's not to say electromagnetism can't be used for transportation, it can, and I've been trying to think of a better way to do it for years.

5stringedbandit

Jun 6, 2009
Am I the only one that lol'd so hard when imgioning disorientated spinning levitating mice?

"It actually kicked around and started to spin, and without friction, it could spin faster and faster, and we think that made it even more disoriented," said researcher Yuanming Liu.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
The Great JT said:
SCIENCE, WHAT NEW SPORE OF MADNESS HAVE YOU SPAWNED?!

Seriously, levitating baby mice. That's pretty cool.
Don't remind me :(.

That game caused me to lose faith in Maxis and Will Wright at the same time. I never thought that would happen.

Now I know what it feels like when people realize their gods aren't real. Talk about soul crushing.

Robert632

May 11, 2009
this seems to be the direction science is going. giving us useless info/info a child who was mentally still a fetus would know. and that's why i love it all the more.

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
I really loved this part:

"It actually kicked around and started to spin, and without friction, it could spin faster and faster, and we think that made it even more disoriented,"
I don't know why, I could almost imagine a bunch of scientists bunched around a spinning mouse saying stuff like "wicked" or bumping fists and laughing madly.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I've read about scientists levitating frogs on a supermagnet in 1997...
So big deal with the mice.

Now if it was humansized I'd sign the heck up right now :)
"Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!"

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
Ninja_X said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Researchers at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, CA, working on behalf of NASA, used a superconducting magnet that generates a field powerful enough to levitate the water inside living animals to levitate a three-week old mouse and observe what happened.

"It actually kicked around and started to spin, and without friction, it could spin faster and faster, and we think that made it even more disoriented," said researcher Yuanming Liu.
Who is paying them to do this?

Actually, this looks like fun. How do I get into the field of small animal levitation? Is it like 2 or 4 years of collage?
I'm not artistically minded, but I don't think those have a lot to do with electromagnetism.

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
See this is how we should be spending our scientists time doing totally awesome things and hope they make a breakthrough

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
I did a report on the physical effects of being in space on astronaut bodies back in school. Go science! That said, every time I see news of a study like this, I want to be a researcher.

"Honey, what did you do at work today?"
"Put geckos in the wind tunnel, levitated a few mice, the usual."

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
damn if they get the tech any better im going to end up looking like Baron Vladimir Harkonnen from the dune books

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
paulgruberman said:
Last of the Chinchillas said:
Why waste precious NASA dollars that could be used to shoot monkeys into space on anti-gravity research when the average person has all they need for anti-gravity in their own household?
Sadly, further tests have disproven the antigravity cat theory.
actually, since the toast never hits the ground, how about a harness, containing the toast BsU, that is strapped on the cat and that is exactly the cat's legs length, so that the BsU toast hits the ground at the same time as the cat's paws?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Aptspire said:
paulgruberman said:
Last of the Chinchillas said:
Why waste precious NASA dollars that could be used to shoot monkeys into space on anti-gravity research when the average person has all they need for anti-gravity in their own household?
Sadly, further tests have disproven the antigravity cat theory.
actually, since the toast never hits the ground, how about a harness, containing the toast BsU, that is strapped on the cat and that is exactly the cat's legs length, so that the BsU toast hits the ground at the same time as the cat's paws?
Still doesn't work, see the resuts of t4. The toast undergoes what is likely to be a quantum state change, either at measurement/observation, or at the moment it comes to rest. You'd end up with a cat standing on the floor, with the harness pressing toast to the floor BsD.

You could attach the cat's paws to the buttered side of toast, and when it landed on its 'toasted' feet, you'd find the toast again BsD and the paws now touching the unbuttered side.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
I can honestly say if I was told that would cost one billion dollars and nothing could tangibly be produced from it I would still push the that button every chance I got. Flying baby mice? That would be the worlds best anti-depressant, it's just good stuff.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
paulgruberman said:
You could attach the cat's paws to the buttered side of toast, and when it landed on its 'toasted' feet, you'd find the toast again BsD and the paws now touching the unbuttered side.
That brings up an interesting question: would that leave the cat's paws buttered or unbuttered? Is it only the butter on the toast itself that is affected or does the quantum effect extend such that it was if the other side had always been the buttered one?