Scientists Monkey With Evolution, Produce "Snouted Chicken"

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
ChromaticWolfen said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
Does this mean we can make dinosaus? My inner child is squealing with joy right now...
You will be squealing with terror when they attempt to eat you. "Humans, Om Nom Nom". This is rather interesting though how long until we do this to humans? "Mammoths, Om Nom Nom"
Ah, right... that's something my younger self never thought of... when I was a kid I was really into dinosaurs y'see...

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
Abzhanov scanned signalling molecules in alligator and chick embryos and found that two of them -- known as sonic hedgehog and

Wait, what?

*facedesks SO HARD*

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Azuaron said:
Let's be abundantly clear about this:

He did not regress a chicken to an earlier evolutionary state. I know it's convenient to say that, but he didn't. He stopped the expression of signalling molecules in the center of the chicken's face, which caused the chicken to express features similar to a hypothesized earlier evolutionary state.

Just wanted to make sure we were all clear about that.
I was literally going to make the exact same point. My hat is off to you sir.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
orangeapples said:
So if they do successfully recreate dinosaurs, I only have 1 question, which is possibly the most important question of all: How will it taste?
It will taste like chicken,only more leathery,you know,because of the dino skin.

OT:There's about a million ways this can go horribly wrong,god help us if they revive Hitler and he finds those dinosaurs-Wait,that would be fucking awesome.(Dino D-Day was the best game I played for free on a free Steam Weekend)

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Calbeck said:
Abzhanov scanned signalling molecules in alligator and chick embryos and found that two of them -- known as sonic hedgehog and

Wait, what?

*facedesks SO HARD*
Yeah, that does raise a few eyebrows. Though I am willing to consider this article may be accurate. However, like a few others who have posted, I'm not sure I'd say this guy has actually used a chicken embryo to create a dinosaur. It sounds like he mutated a chicken embryo to look more like a reptile. I base this opinion on the fact that he introduced things into the embryo that weren't there before. It doesn't sound to me like he was re-arranging genetic materials that were already there, it sounded like he was introducing materials to create certain physical traits. But I admit my own knowledge of genetic science is very limited; it's probably been since high school since I did any serious reading about it.

Now, as to the ethics...I think most of the time, especially from the impressions I've gotten from a number of the posts here, when people hear the term "question the ethics" of the science, they immediately think of a bunch of Bible-thumpers who hate anything scientific because it's a challenge to their beliefs. I'm a devout Roman Catholic myself, and I can say that not everything scientific is an affront to Christianity. In fact I think if you did a poll, you'd find a lot of Christians do not find the theory of evolution to be offensive to their beliefs. Personally I just see evolution as another potential way to interpret how God made the life forms we know today. It could have also happened literally as the Bible said, who knows?

I think, however, when people question the ethics of scientific experiments, it's not from the standpoint of "omg, you're challenging my beliefs, you're evil!" I think the question is more about the morality of trying to take control of what has been a natural process, i.e. "in God's Domain," to date and act like man has the knowledge and wisdom to master it. Personally I think there's a pretty wide range of things that, yes, man has the right to put it to use for himself. The Bible does say that God put man's rule over everything on earth, if I remember correctly.

However, there are some abstract processes that exist that man is really too flawed to be able to use responsibly. A perfect example is the argument of cloning. Cloning sentient life forms would do two things; it would suggest that man has the right to create life at a whim through artificial means and it would cheapen the value of life by taking people, who were once valued as individuals who were unique and special, and turning them into things that could be churned out in bulk to be replaced by another, perfect replica whenever one of them dies. The individual person would become unimportant because he/she could always be replaced with a copy banged out by some mass-production machine while the previous "unit" was tossed away with all the care and dignity of a burned out light bulb. That isn't how God made intelligent life to be treated. It's not how any sane person would want to be treated.

That how I figure the whole "ethical science" argument really is. It's not a matter of people refusing to have their beliefs questioned, although I can say it rubs me the wrong way when non-religious people take a scientific development, shove it religious people's faces and go "HA HA HA! Where's your God now?!" I think the argument is more about realizing our own imperfect nature and admitting when the temptation to abuse something would be too great.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I actually saw a documentry were they tried to do this with the embryoes tail instead. It worked but again they couldnt hatch it. To be honest I think its crueler to not hatch the animal at all, as an animals base instinct is to survive and breed.

Also, DINOSAURS!!!
*warning, contains offensive language*

superdelux

Apr 29, 2011
Snouts=Pouts
Pouts=Sad
Sad=Angry
Angry=Revolution
Revolution=Evolution

That's why these Evolution experiments should stop in a nutshell.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
YOUM@D123 said:
it's like we're asking for someone to step up and become a super villain

am i the only one that see's a super intelligent evil dino-fend being made form all this?...i am? oh ok ... what about if he manages to create dinosaurs then gets mad with power and starts creating his own army of fore mentioned beasts
Then we'll all be able to have a grand uprising against our new overlord, just like in the movies! Why are people trying to poke holes in this?

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
Soooooo, manipulating the crap out of an embryos genes to create dinosaurs... Sounds like a nice idea. Too bad the creatures would likely suffer from horrifically debilitating genetic malfunctions.

Grospoliner

Feb 16, 2010
Jabberwock xeno said:
Wait, why is one of the genes named sonic hedgehog?

How is killing the eggs "ethical" but letting them hatch not? And compared to what we do to chickens daily...

Why aren't there any pictures?

So many questions...
It is less ethical to reintroduce an extinct species into an ecosystem. This species could be poorly adapted to the current ecosystem and die out all over again or it could actually damage the ecosystem depending on predation.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Dooooooo iiiiiiit. I hate Jeff Goldblum, and would love to see a super dino chicken step on his legs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ9dtZ8lYww

But then he'll be the star of the next one :/.

zingobingo4

Feb 2, 2011
Okay WHO WROTE THIS?! Earnest Cavalli likes Jeff Goldblum? (chambers round) Time to die, freak of nature!