Jun 9, 2010
Interesting development......

VERY interesting....

'laughs like a crazy person'

LegoDudeGuy

Young punks, get off my lawn.
Jun 9, 2010
omicron1 said:
I can see things getting a bit hairy with this method. But as long as their funds fon't get frozen, and they don't pack their trunks and hide, this will be a mammoth accomplishment.
Still, I'd like more sources. I don't like taking stories of this magnitude on earsay.
I see what you did their....

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Ha! I find the part where he implies that you can beat Skyrim in the time it take an elephant to go through a full birth cycle hilarious.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Sigmar ov The Hammer said:
Distorted Stu said:
One step closer to a real life Jurrasic Park...
Jurassic Park....... But with mammoths....

If they could bring back other beasts from that era, that'd be great.
I'm sure they can, they just need to find the right fossil, something of the dino encased in ice which would let scientists get a DNA sample . As far as my understanding goes, the Paleo-Eocene Thermal Maximum (the original Global Warming) pretty much melted all the ice on the surface of the Earth.
Keep you finger crossed, though.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
spartan231490 said:
Why? What purpose does this serve except our own twisted amusement. Let the past die, the world is no longer a place for mammoths. Fuck, we can barely take care of the species that are already on this planet, why are we trying to add more.
Wait...-whose- 'twisted amusement' exactly are you referring to? I don't see where the article mentions that this is case. But of course, I'm sure a bunch of scientists have nothing better to do with their time then resurrect dead mammals for fun. :/

If you can't see the value in that kind of research I don't really know what to say to you.

I guess, the gist of is is that it really isn't about the mammoths, it's simply that they're the most likely subject due to the aforementioned genetic material available that they don't have for other animals.

Mau95

Nov 11, 2011
AWESOME! Uh... I mean... Ahem... Thats sounds pretty cool, I guess. Might improve the elephant species as a whole. Or create a twoheaded telepathic war elephant (guess where thats from!). I heard they were trying to ressurect a T-Rex back in 2005, but nothing ever seems to have come from it.

IKSA

Jun 30, 2011
YogSothoth said:
HAH! Take that religion, we are going to bring back a species that "god" wanted dead.
They will probably call it abominiation and try to outlaw them because its against work of god etc. etc. you know the story.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
chaotician?
i think he means necromancer.

but i'd rather they did it with stegosaur(i? s? uses? oes?)
i want one as a pet.
i also want to see a bird give birth to one (birds are the closest living relatives to dinosaur(i? s? uses? oes?).

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Am i terrible person for hoping Mammoth hide cloaks become available? I would be like a brown, wooly batman!...in my own mind.

foreveralone.jpg

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Taking all bets - how long before some dumb religious group demands a ban on resurrection because it's unethical.

YES, LET'S NOT RECREATE AN ANIMAL WE DESTROYED WHILE WE WERE STILL TOO DUMB TO HAVE A SIGN LANGUAGE.

Instead, it's have another homophobic parade... that'll help the world.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
AugustFall said:
Can anyone help me find a source? I don't doubt this is true but I'd like to read the original. So far the Escapist's post links to another website who's sources are The Daily Mail, Fox News and Huffington Post.
I also would appreciate more sources on this matter. The way the stories are written, I don't think they really understand the magnitude of what this means. It's one thing to clone a house cat, but it's another thing altogether to do it with an animal that hasn't been around in 10,000 years. Also, this will only further the misconception of what genetics actually means, which annoys me a bit.

Versuvius

Apr 30, 2008
Baresark said:
AugustFall said:
Can anyone help me find a source? I don't doubt this is true but I'd like to read the original. So far the Escapist's post links to another website who's sources are The Daily Mail, Fox News and Huffington Post.
I also would appreciate more sources on this matter. The way the stories are written, I don't think they really understand the magnitude of what this means. It's one thing to clone a house cat, but it's another thing altogether to do it with an animal that hasn't been around in 10,000 years. Also, this will only further the misconception of what genetics actually means, which annoys me a bit.
The DNA of the mammoth is still in tact, they also reckon that the elephant is a close enough relative for it to potentially work. I got my sauce at The Register.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
How long until my fellow christians make us look like assholes and then attack these people?

This is a good thing to try and do! And I'm catholic.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Haha, after re-reading, the process is misrepresented. They are talking about Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer. Essentially, you don't take the nucleus from the somatic cell, you simply insert the somatic cell into the de-nucleated cell. Then you insert, fuse with electricity and when it forms a blastocyte, it is then implanted into the elephant.

Fascinating process really.

Edit: It's important to note that though this will be an exact genetic duplicate, it will look very different from it's donor animal.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
About time, took you some decent years after that incident at Jurrasic Park.

The question I really don't want to answer is:

WHY do japanese scientists have a 16-year old frozen mouse in their fridge???

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Next stop! Selective breeding until they reach the size of a German Sheperd.
Perfect for kids, strong enough to carry and small enough to fit in your car. Finally a pet with a practical use!