Scientists Successfully Harvest Energy from a Cockroach

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Scientists Successfully Harvest Energy from a Cockroach

Scientists move us a little closer to the Matrix with electricity-generating cockroaches.

Someone warn Keanu Reeves! Scientists working at the Case Western Reserve University have managed to successfully generate electricity from chemicals found within a cockroach's stomach, using a hefty amount of science and a fancy biofuel implant straight out of Deus Ex.

The whole process is a little tricky to follow, but essentially what researchers have done is placed a biofuel cell in the cockroach's abdomen, and then used an enzyme to break down the complex sugars residing in the its digestive tract. The simpler sugars, called monosaccharides, are oxidized by another enzyme, causing it to release electrons, which in turn create electricity.

The total output of energy isn't very much, coming to a grand total of about 100 microwatts, meaning you'd need about 600,000 cockroach batteries to power up your average 60watt light bulb. The low-output hasn't stopped researchers from looking into shrinking the biofuel cell technology down so it can be fully implanted into an insect and coming with up with other kinds of implants like signal transmitters or measuring tools.

For those concerned for the cockroach's health throughout poking and prodding, researchers found that their multi-legged test subject "suffered no long-term damage, which bodes well for long-term use" in the event they're able to refine the biofuel cell technology any further.

"Insects have an open circulatory system so the blood is not under much pressure," explained Biology Professor Roy E. Ritzmann. "So, unlike say a vertebrate, where if you pushed a probe into a vein or worse an artery (which is very high pressure) blood does not come out at any pressure. So, basically, this is really pretty benign. In fact, it is not unusual for the insect to right itself and walk or run away afterward."

The full report can be found here [http://blog.case.edu/think/2012/01/09/implanted_biofuel_cell_converts_bugas_chemistry_into_electricity] for those wanting the whole grisly but educational details. Me, I'll be loading up on bug spray for the coming cyber-insect war.

Source: Dvice [http://www.ohgizmo.com/2012/02/02/we-are-now-able-to-harvest-electricity-from-cockroaches/#more-56971]

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Step 1: Build a massive building

Step 2: Fill it with Cockroaches and do this to them.

Step 3: ????

Step 4: Profit!

Seriously though, I kind of find this unsettling for some reason <.<

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
WMDogma said:
Someone warn Keanu Reeves!
Keanu Reeves is immortal [www.keanuisimmortal.com], so I'm sure he's seen far worse than this already.
It's a shame that even he will never live to see any sequels to The Matrix. Good thing too, I think - they'd only serve to tarnish a classic.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
WMDogma said:
For those concerned for the cockroach's health throughout poking and prodding, researchers found that their multi-legged test subject "suffered no long-term damage, which bodes well for long-term use" in the event they're able to refine the biofuel cell technology any further.
I found this amusing since cockroaches can survive without their head and really still be considered as suffering no long-term damage. Okay, they starve because they have no head, but still.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Sorry, but an iPhone or Blackberry powered on theese would be simply hilarious.

And i doubt cockroaches are suddenly going to become cyborg mega-bugs from something like that, on its own at least.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
the matrix, not concerned about

METROIDS, very concerned about o.o;;

first step toward floating, energy sucking, jelly fish, calling it now

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
WMDogma said:
The total output of energy isn't very much, coming to a grand total of about 100 microwatts, meaning you'd need about 600,000 cockroach batteries to power up your average 60watt light bulb.
Is that all? I'm pretty sure the city of New York can power the entire country, then.

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
I just have to ask, can we moddify this for use on people?

imagine the possibilities. immagine if your smart phone was attached to you and never ran out of battery life. imagine you sat down at a computer to work, and it helped power the office building you were in.

This could be one of the most important technologies ever if we can harness it.

CalPal

Apr 25, 2011
... Is anyone else thinking of the Mass Effect husks when they read this?

CalPal

Apr 25, 2011
Shawn MacDonald said:
It's weird to me that people think they are better than a cockroach. I think you have more in common with them than you realize. Scurry around all day contributing nothing to society and pooping and pissing everywhere. It's not easy to keep you alive because you desire to eat everyday and demand a place to live. I can't go anywhere without seeing your kind doing stuff all day that doesn't matter. So the next time you left up your fridge and cockroaches scatter everywhere, imagine it's people.
... I feel like I should critique this. Right, let's do this.

It's weird to me that people think they are better than a cockroach.
It's actually not that weird at all, actually. Cockroaches generally aren't liked by humans. They happen to be associated with eating our food and not being healthy for us when in close proximity.

I think you have more in common with them than you realize.
Aside from our biology, thinking capabilities, basic physical capabilities... but continue, please.

Scurry around all day contributing nothing to society and pooping and pissing everywhere.
... Don't look at me like that, I'm a University student! Besides, the toilets in my place broke down, so I basically have no other choice until they're fixed. On the bright side, I at least go to public bathrooms and not the 'everywhere' that you're imagining.

It's not easy to keep you alive because you desire to eat everyday and demand a place to live.
See: every other species on the planet.

I can't go anywhere without seeing your kind doing stuff all day that doesn't matter.
I - I can't really make a good argument with this one, I'll give you that.

So the next time you left up your fridge and cockroaches scatter everywhere, imagine it's people.
Because phoning up an exterminator will help soothe your conscious as you "imagine" all the people you're paying to kill. Nice one, jerk.

---

Okay, so I see you're trying to compare humans with cockroaches because you're displeased with how we conduct ourselves in society or the larger world somehow, I get that. You unfortunately happened to have chosen the wrong place to make an issue of this, that is, on a gaming news website.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Redlin5 said:

I guess Step 3 would logically be "Never pay for electricity ever again." Instead of wires and such running throughout the walls of the buildings we would just have billions and billions of cockroaches. Oh, the opportunities that would create for the clever/slightly evil business owner...

"Alright now, local high school cheerleading squad, welcome to Bio-Roach Inc."
"Ummm, yeah, like, why do you call it 'Bio-Roach'?"
"Well Tiffany, why don't you open up that hatch on the wall and find out..."

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
with the amount of resources used in this stupid ass reasearch....we could have been one step closer to going to mars, cureing AIDS, reducing Cancer, or finding a way to make michael moore stop being so fat......fuck you modern day scientist.

Yoshisummons

Aug 10, 2010
Not to be that guy but, in the matrix the robots used the body heat for power. Otherwise I don't see anything practical from this.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Jegsimmons said:
with the amount of resources used in this stupid ass reasearch....we could have been one step closer to going to mars, cureing AIDS, reducing Cancer, or finding a way to make michael moore stop being so fat......fuck you modern day scientist.

... are you a cockroach?

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Redlin5 said:

You mean besides the fact that if they worked together they could bring down our entire electrical system?
Jegsimmons said:
Pretty sure creating a biocell that you can implant into anything could factor into any number of uses.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
While any new energy sources are always a good thing I would still have to say that this well and truely proves that scientists have way too much free time on their hands.

Honestly, who wakes up one morning and thinks to themselves 'Today I think I'll stick power cables in a cockroach and see what happens'?

Shawn MacDonald said:
It's weird to me that people think they are better than a cockroach.
As a great man once said, 'show me a Cultural relativist at 50,000 feet and I'll show you a hypocrite'.

I don't think I need to go into detail about the ways a human being is obviously superior to a cockroach (the fact that we can have this discussion would be a good start).

I think you have more in common with them than you realize.
Oh yeah, such as...er...the fact that both are living things?

Scurry around all day contributing nothing to society and pooping and pissing everywhere.
In my experience it's most often those who complain about people leeching and not contributing to society who are themselves contributing the least to society.

As for the pooping and pissing I think you'll find most people are fully toilet trained at a fairly young age.

It's not easy to keep you alive because you desire to eat everyday and demand a place to live.
Tell that to the thousands of homeless people in the western world and those who live in constant fear of genocide and starvation in developing countries.

I can't go anywhere without seeing your kind doing stuff all day that doesn't matter.
I too am still haunted by memories of the Sudoku craze.

So the next time you left up your fridge and cockroaches scatter everywhere, imagine it's people.
Is it just me or can I picture someone saying that before committing a school shooting?