Scientists Successfully Harvest Energy from a Cockroach

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
This is great news! We may not be able to nuke the roaches out of existence but we're coming close to the day when an EMP could do the trick! I see what's going on here Science, you cleaver minx.

Fluse

Oct 26, 2009
Anyone who cant see the potential and/or usefullness of this technology have a realy poor imagination imho...

Sure, it might to be to usefull on a roach, but imagen if the technology can be adapted to work on humans.

Artificial limbs or organs all require an electrical power source.

BrotherSurplice

ENEMY MAN
Apr 17, 2011
Oh science, don't ever change.

CalPal said:
... Is anyone else thinking of the Mass Effect husks when they read this?
I cannot believe that I didn't think of that. Now all scientists have to do is make a big spike that does the whole biocell implanting process by itself and we'll be one step closer to being the reapers!

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
darthotaku said:
I just have to ask, can we moddify this for use on people?

imagine the possibilities. immagine if your smart phone was attached to you and never ran out of battery life. imagine you sat down at a computer to work, and it helped power the office building you were in.

This could be one of the most important technologies ever if we can harness it.
Kind of related to this news article which was posted here on the Escapist [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.318669-Scientists-Create-Deus-Ex-Style-Biofuel-Battery] october last year. It's a very viable possibility for the future.

The future will be awesome.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Jegsimmons said:
with the amount of resources used in this stupid ass reasearch....we could have been one step closer to going to mars, cureing AIDS, reducing Cancer, or finding a way to make michael moore stop being so fat......fuck you modern day scientist.
Not sure if serious.

In case you are:

Did you consider the possibilities for prosthetic limbs that don't need external power sources, but can be powered by the food you eat? What about bio-fueled eye implants to allow blind people to see again?

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Next step: find a gene that does this automatically and activate it. That would be cool. Maybe it could even work in humans D:

I can't wait until I can charge my phone by having it in my pocket, near the biofuel cell in my leg.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
oh my god.

let me crush that thing, frickin disgusting cockroach.
Aw, that was a bit harsh.

I know we tend to be disgusted by little critters. I know I used to crush cockroaches because I thought they were dirty little things that made us sick.

Then we got snakes and lizards and skinks and whatnot... and cockroaches turned out to be a prime food source. So we got started with breeding roaches.

Meanwhile, I couldn't imagine life without having some hundred cockroaches in their designated space. They eat all our refuse, such as potato skins, and turn them into non-smelly pebbles of dry fertilizer. They organize themselves in rather elaborate manners, and some species are actually giving birth to live little roaches. It still freaks people out, but it's actually rather cute. And as long as the critters are white, they're still soft and perfect food for just about any other animal.

Once you allow yourself to learn more about how roaches live and watch them do their thing all day or all night long, I can assure you you'll be amazed - they are special little critters that really serve more purpose than our beloved furry friends, be they cats or dogs, to be honest. And they even clean up after themselves, would you believe it. No shedded skin or unhatched egg goes to waste... they recycle everything. They are wonderful and amazing bugs, and you wouldn't believe how refined and strong the bigger ones amongst them can be.

If you want to learn about survival, the cockroach really turns out to be the perfect organism. Not that I would want to be a cockroach, mind you, but their resilience is mind-blowing.

<youtube=gwZD59Ic9T8>

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
Jegsimmons said:
with the amount of resources used in this stupid ass reasearch....we could have been one step closer to going to mars, cureing AIDS, reducing Cancer, or finding a way to make michael moore stop being so fat......fuck you modern day scientist.
Because every scientist works on the same things, amirite? It's not like "science" is a broad term for many different fields, including but not limited to physics, chemistry, biology, psychology, geology, astronomy... Nope. It's all just a bunch of guys in labcoats all huddled around a cockroach. Yes. There aren't any other scientists doing other experiments, any other studies. If you have a fucking labcoat, you were in on this experiment. And finding a new energy source can't possibly have any positive outcome. Figuring out how to most efficiently harvest and utilize this new energy won't at all inspire innovation from anyone.

Sep 14, 2009
Headdrivehardscrew said:
gmaverick019 said:
oh my god.

let me crush that thing, frickin disgusting cockroach.
Aw, that was a bit harsh.

I know we tend to be disgusted by little critters. I know I used to crush cockroaches because I thought they were dirty little things that made us sick.

Then we got snakes and lizards and skinks and whatnot... and cockroaches turned out to be a prime food source. So we got started with breeding roaches.

Meanwhile, I couldn't imagine life without having some hundred cockroaches in their designated space. They eat all our refuse, such as potato skins, and turn them into non-smelly pebbles of dry fertilizer. They organize themselves in rather elaborate manners, and some species are actually giving birth to live little roaches. It still freaks people out, but it's actually rather cute. And as long as the critters are white, they're still soft and perfect food for just about any other animal.

Once you allow yourself to learn more about how roaches live and watch them do their thing all day or all night long, I can assure you you'll be amazed - they are special little critters that really serve more purpose than our beloved furry friends, be they cats or dogs, to be honest. And they even clean up after themselves, would you believe it. No shedded skin or unhatched egg goes to waste... they recycle everything. They are wonderful and amazing bugs, and you wouldn't believe how refined and strong the bigger ones amongst them can be.

If you want to learn about survival, the cockroach really turns out to be the perfect organism. Not that I would want to be a cockroach, mind you, but their resilience is mind-blowing.

<youtube=gwZD59Ic9T8>

oh i agree and understand what you mean, roaches are frickin insane when it comes to surviving

HOWEVER

doesn't change the fact that they are so disgustingly crunchy and have the nastiest feeling when touching one, or the fact that they ooze nasty smelling ooziness when i do step on them. therefore, in conclusion, i obliterate every cockroach i see, with my big ass shoe.

DarkSoldier84

Jul 8, 2010
Rheinmetall said:
Poor cockroaches...Leave them alone! How sick the human mind can be?!
I found the reactionary animal rights post later than I thought I would.

Don't feel sorry for this thing, it's not like it's an endangered species. It's a cockroach. A scavenger. They follow us around because we leave food waste everywhere we go. If you see one in your apartment, you smash it with your shoe.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Please tell me that one day, this will be possible with humans.

I want to be able to charge up my electrical devices with my body.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Bloodstain said:
Please tell me that one day, this will be possible with humans.

I want to be able to charge up my electrical devices with my body.
Oh I thought it was because you wanted to be part of the matrix.