Scientists: Time-Travelling Quantum Computer Will Have Been Solving Everything

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
Scientists: Time-Travelling Quantum Computer Will Have Been Solving Everything

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1023/1023525.jpg

Researchers from several countries have presented their theory on a quantum computer that uses time-travelling particles to perform intractable computations.

Take this news with a grain of salt, and then send that grain back in time to solve a hard computational problem in the present, because a group of scientists believe that time-travelling quantum computers are the future.

Let's get something out of the way first: in our normal, day-to-day lives, time travel remains an impossibility. At the level of quantum physics, however? Well, let's just say it's a definite maybe. The theory of general relativity allows for time-travel to exist, through warps in spacetime we call wormholes. Most of these wormholes are probably just the right size for quantum particle to travel through.

It's under the assumption that it can happen, however, that an international group of physicists are proposing their revolutionary idea: that taking one half of a pair of entangled, quantum particles, then sending it back in time on a theoretically pre-existing time loop could create tremendous computational power. Talk about over-clocked, right? Right? Sorry.

First, you should understand what it means to have entangled particles. Entanglement is the phenomena whereby two or more entities are connected over vast distances (or times), in such a way that to observe one is to simultaneously observe the other. Fans of Mass Effect 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/mass%20effect%203?os=mass+effect+3] encountered the technology whenever Admiral Hackett wanted to congratulate Shepard on not ruining the galaxy yet, and the idea has come up in sci-fi a lot since and before then.

The theoretical time-travelling particle would be locked, in that it could not interact with the past while it was back there, evading the "but I murdered my ancestor!"-type problems. "We avoid 'classical' paradoxes, like the grandfathers paradox, but you still get all these weird results," says Miles Gu [http://phys.org/news/2015-12-computing-with-time-travel.html], is at the Centre for Quantum Technologies in Singapore and Beijing.

Jayne Thompson, a co-author of the study, adds, "Whenever we present the idea, people say no way can this have an effect... the reason there is an effect is because some information is stored in the entangling correlations: this is what we're harnessing."

I'm going to assume this will work exactly like the climax of the Day of the Doctor [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128859-See-Whos-50-Years-Unfold-In-Day-Of-The-Doctor-Trailer] episode of Doctor Who.

I won't pretend to know any more than what I've already written - nor will I assume any of my simplified explanations are correct. This is a hard problem. What I do know is that someday I may finally have a computer that can play Crysis!

That joke travelled here all the way from 2008. If only I could harness its power...

Source: Phys.org [http://phys.org/news/2015-12-computing-with-time-travel.html]

McGuinty1

Oct 30, 2010
Not to harp on you or claim any greater knowledge than you attest to having in the article, but the correct term is entanglement. I have never heard it called entangling.

Stupidity

Sep 21, 2013
PatrickJS said:
Talk about over-clocked, right? Right? Sorry.
That was bad and you should feel bad...

As for the article, this seems exactly like the sort of thing that will come to nothing. Except we will learn more about the universe in failing to exploit what seems like a loophole.

Reminds me of the the whole CERN 'Controversy'.
"Science just to see if we can get Dr Who to show up to stop us."

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
McGuinty1 said:
Not to harp on you or claim any greater knowledge than you attest to having in the article, but the correct term is entanglement. I have never heard it called entangling.
Me neither, but one of the scientists quoted refers to it as such, so I just assumed she was correct.

Stupidity said:
That was bad and you should feel bad...
Oh, I do...

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Where is it, where is it...

Ah here it is!

http://www.atomic-robo.com/atomicrobo/v3ch5-page-3

See, even Atomic Robo knows a bad idea when he sees it.

enginieri

Apr 1, 2015
Wake me up when the part about sending quantum particles back in time into a closed pre-existing time-loop is invented (please, somebody knows the phone number of the T-800 that goes by "Pop's"? , he may have a clue or two)

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
LordLundar said:
Where is it, where is it...

Ah here it is!

http://www.atomic-robo.com/atomicrobo/v3ch5-page-3

See, even Atomic Robo knows a bad idea when he sees it.
Since we're on the topic of Atomic Robo and time travel:

http://www.atomic-robo.com/atomicrobo/v8ch5-page-1

Muckle damn scientists messin with muckle damn time!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
And thus Comstock was born. The moment this thing goes online we're going to get bombarded by a floating city and a fleet of...dirigibles...that apparently fighter jets will be absolutely useless against. :p

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Nice theories all around but until something like this is functional we are really talking fantasy land, even regular quantum computers are yet to be usable but you want to jump into something even more far fetched.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"That joke travelled here all the way from 2008. If only I could harness its power..."

If only you had listened to Yahtzee in his review you could've sold your soul back then and already had this computational marvel 8 years ago! The problem is; what would you then sell to play Crisis 2 and 3? I hope you had the foresight to ask for a computer that could play Crisis 7, when selling your soul! If not, stick a little note about this issue on a quantum particle and send it back in time...

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
PatrickJS said:
Fans of Mass Effect 3 encountered the technology whenever Admiral Hackett wanted to congratulate Shepard on not ruining the galaxy yet, and the idea has come up in sci-fi a lot since and before then.
Mass Effect 2 players saw it first each time Shepard talked with the Illusive Man.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
PatrickJS said:
I won't pretend to know any more than what I've already written - nor will I assume any of my simplified explanations are correct. This is a hard problem. What I do know is that someday I may finally have a computer that can play Crysis!

That joke travelled here all the way from 2008. If only I could harness its power...
I see what you did, and I raise you one lie about a cake.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
yeah, i think you should start with something a bit simpler for quantum computer. though with time travel this essentially means that the computer has infinite time to do any calculation and as a result has infinite power. this could even solve the simulation taking as much space as real thing problem that would be needed for real (no approximation) simulation.

Kenjitsuka said:
"That joke travelled here all the way from 2008. If only I could harness its power..."

If only you had listened to Yahtzee in his review you could've sold your soul back then and already had this computational marvel 8 years ago! The problem is; what would you then sell to play Crisis 2 and 3? I hope you had the foresight to ask for a computer that could play Crisis 7, when selling your soul! If not, stick a little note about this issue on a quantum particle and send it back in time...
actually crysis 2 is less demanding than crysis 1. This is because crysis 2 suffered from "consolization" that resulted in a downgrade. This ended up with fans of the first one hating it and as a result barely anyone bought a great 3rd game, resulting in company getting close to bancrupcy (the failed Xbox One exclusive didnt help either). There is likely never going to be Crysis 4 unless CryTek thinks they can cash in on the name to keep themselves afloat.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
I had this idea a while back, and someone point out where I could be wrong, but, we have giant pools of water deep underground to capture neutrinos which apparently travel backwards in time. So, we can register them, right?

If I were to sit down and work out how to generate neutrinos, I could then send bursts akin to morse code back in time to be picked up by these pools and communicate to the past scientific achievements and warnings about global threats right?

The "working out how to send neutrinos" part would also be largely irrelevant, so long as it was built by someone at some point, we then just move it far enough away that the message arrives at the right time.

Now, grandfather paradox/closed loops - how is something invented yatta yatta I'm going to wash away with divergent timeline, whenever we send a message back, we've created a divergent timeline where all new possibilities exist and the whatever was invented by Dave in timeline a) and we're going to use it hundreds of years before Dave was born in timeline b) - almost multiverse-ish?