Scientists Train Computer to Understand "That's What She Said" Jokes

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
Jonny49 said:
As long as I can keep making "that's what she said" jokes during the inevitable machine war, it's all cool.
Hell, if that's the case then we're all gonna be completely fine.

I mean, try to imagine a circumstance where it wouldn't fit.

Not where it SHOULDN'T fit, like a funeral or something.

I'll wait.

Give up?

X3N0N

Jan 3, 2011
THANK YOU SCIENCE!
We have needed this for years. I'm glad all this technology doesn't go to waste on things like medicines.

OniYouji

Jan 4, 2011
Psh, why spend money to create cool or helpful science and programs, when we could have a computer spout off the most annoying, unfunny form of humor made in the modern era?

gNetkamiko

Aug 25, 2010
I think I can see where this is going. Scientists at M.I.T. have created a computer that could compete with the 2 best Jeopardy players. Now, we have a computer with a teen's sense of humor (which will be improved upon, no doubt.) And after that will probably be one that could express basic emotions, and then later on, the more complex emotions. Combine the three into a fully functional cyber-brain and place it into a synthetic body (with fully functional parts, I might add), and we'll probably have a real life Data.

Either that, or we might have a sort of a "Ghost in the Shell" future, where we go through the final stage of the man-machine alliance.

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
This is good. When the machines eventually rise against us we can tell them bad jokes, and then strike while they groan/laugh.

KiraTaureLor

Mar 27, 2011
Oh the horror, oh the lack of Humanity!!!

I do not care what "good" will "eventually" come out of this, but it's WRONG, ALL WRONG!!!!

Soupy George

Ejerkashun Prufshnal
Jan 8, 2010
I'd say this was worthwhile research. An AI, or just a computer designed to interact with humans, would need to understand the subtleties of communication, including double meanings. A simple example would be if your spellchecker could spit correctly spilled wards that are incorrect in their sentence's context (see what I did there?).