Scientists Unveil "World's Lightest Material"

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Anonymous Metagenics Dockworker said:
Optical computers, genetic catalogs, nanorepair modules--forget all of that. It's when you see a megaton of steel suspended over your head by a thread the thickness of a human hair that you really find God in technology.
Oh Alpha Centauri, once again your predictions are coming to fruition.

Excellent...

YawningAngel

Dec 22, 2010
The bit where I stopped caring was when it went from 1.0mg/cm3 to 0.9mg/cm^3 in density. That doesn't sound like it makes much of a difference to a real-world application. In any case, this record is about technological advancement and more about how much you can remove before something stops being a 'material' and starts being air with a few loose strands of fibre in it.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
behold the next new thing your government will waste literally trillions of dollars on.

That much multistage nano-fabrication is going to be ridiculously expensive.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
So its a little like carbon-fibre, but on steroids?
So I know what my new bike frame will be made out of!

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
tehroc said:
Even lighter then aerogel?
Looks like it's in the same range, and the lightest form of this that they've made may even be slightly lighter than the lightest aerogels. They have extremely different properties otherwise, though, so they'd have very different uses.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
shado_temple said:
BehattedWanderer said:
The material's architecture allows unprecedented mechanical behavior for a metal, including complete recovery from compression exceeding 50 percent strain and extraordinarily high energy absorption.
Wow. That is some nice recovery. Elastic deformation like that in a metal is pretty rare. So, awesome. And hooray for nanomaterials.
Yeah, I was pretty surprised by this. There's a video that shows just how well the material handles this much strain that's pretty crazy looking:

<youtube=GlGvL1CMl5E>
Whoa. 98% recovery to initial size? That's quite impressive. I wonder what kind of load they're applying.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
I wonder if I'll wake up next week and personal space ships will have been invented. Then maybe I could live out my wing commander fantasies. Or orbiter flight sim fantasies at least.

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
AWESOME! and they should call it Mithril. that would be fucking awesome!

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
So... much... science... I'm beginning to feel like the Professor:

As for a name, I agree that Mithril would be a kickass name indeed.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
So the worlds best chainmail armor will be made of tiny suits of chainmail armor connected by even tinier pieces of chainmail armor?

Wonder how well it handles a mace.....

Dott

Oct 27, 2009
EverythingIncredible said:
Any chance that I can get my bones made out of this stuff so that I can fly?
People have been using orbital drops in science fiction for ages.
Now we can just jump out of planes and glide merrily into the fray.

The Code

Mar 9, 2010
The Diabolical Biz said:
Inb4 'Mithril'.

Holy shit, I really am 'inb4' Mithril! Yeah, I thought Mithril.
I better not be the only one who thought of the line "light as a feather, hard as dragon scales" when I read that.

DO IT.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Two fun thoughts -

A) Someone's invented Sturginium.

B) FINALLY we have a lightweight and strong metal good enough for making Giant Robots out of X3

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
FOR SCIENCE!!!

(Yes, I did just finish Portal 2).

Seriously though, that's some pretty impressive metal, particularly its recovery rate.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I will be angry if they don't call this mithril. Let it be called mithril. For the love of god, name this marvel mithril.