Scooby-Doo is Getting Official LEGO Sets This Summer

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Scooby-Doo is Getting Official LEGO Sets This Summer

No sign of Scrappy Doo yet...

Scooby dooby doo, where are you? Evidently, in the LEGO aisle of your local toy store. LEGO, via USA Today [http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2015/01/23/scooby-doo-lego-exclusive-first-look/22206189/], has just announced five upcoming LEGO sets, set in the long-running Scooby-Doo universe. We've only been given a glimpse at one of the sets so far (which you can see to the right), but I'm happy to report that there is no sign of Scrappy Doo, the puppy everyone loves to hate, as of yet.

What it does feature is the iconic Mystery Machine van, as well as Scooby, Shaggy and Fred mini-figures. There's also a "zombie" mini-figure, whose head will most likely pop off to reveal it was Mr. Jenkins from the museum the whole time!

"Fans always wonder which properties may come to life in LEGO form, and this year we are thrilled to bring all of the mystery, humor and hijinks of the Scooby-Doo universe to life in LEGO toys and animated content," said Jill Wilfert, vice president, licensing & entertainment at The LEGO Group.

As well as the Mystery Machine set, we know that three of the other four remaining sets will be the Mummy Museum Mystery, The Haunted Lighthouse and The Mystery Mansion, and that each set will retail between $14.99 to $89.99. We've been told that these sets will draw from Scooby-Doo lore that dates back to its conception in 1969, so hopefully, hopefully, they will continue to skim over addition of Scooby's annoying nephew.

The sets will be available in August, 2015.

Source: USA Today [http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2015/01/23/scooby-doo-lego-exclusive-first-look/22206189/]

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Well then, I guess 2016 will have LEGO Scooby Doo released on the consoles. It could work well if they make you solve mysteries with puzzles.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
"Mystery" seems to be used a lot here. You would think they could have swapped out mystery in one of the other sets. "The Spooky Mansion" "The Mansion of Riddles" "Mummy Museum Mania" (I even kept the alliteration there.) I know the Mystery Machine name can't really be touched (unless you renamed them the Groovy Gang and added an enraged Brock Samson figure into the set) and mystery is their schtick, but ease up on it.

Garlador

Mar 7, 2007
LazyAza said:
No daphne or velma? major oversight there lego.
Can I take a moment to admit that I always found Velma to be FAR sexier than Daphne? I mean, both were fine, but even the movies only bolstered my opinion.

Jinkies.

Though I imagine they'll look something like this in LEGO form:

BarelyAudible

Mar 1, 2013
LazyAza said:
No daphne or velma? major oversight there lego.
They seem to be exclusive to the $90 mansion, naturally.

Kind of like the Marvel side of Disney Infinity 2.0; You have to (at least) buy the Avengers & GotG playsets to get Black Widow and Gamora.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Shiftygiant said:
I refuse to buy a mystery machine missing two members.
They'll be in their own over-priced sets. Poor business to release all figures with one box

8BitArchitect

Sep 24, 2014
I'm not the only one that finds the word 'lore' being used in relation to Scooby Doo funny, right?

With all these new licensed sets, I imagine Lego as sort of the Disney of construction toys; They have their hands in a little bit of everything.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Garlador said:
Can I take a moment to admit that I always found Velma to be FAR sexier than Daphne? I mean, both were fine, but even the movies only bolstered my opinion.
Seconded. The whole Adorkable thing really works for me.

Shiftygiant said:
I refuse to buy a mystery machine missing two members.
Above anything else I completely agree with this. If I buy a mystery machine it should come with everyone, two of the figures shouldn't be held hostage in an attempt to make me buy the most expensive set.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
8BitArchitect said:
I'm not the only one that finds the word 'lore' being used in relation to Scooby Doo funny, right?

With all these new licensed sets, I imagine Lego as sort of the Disney of construction toys; They have their hands in a little bit of everything.
Someone point this guy to "Mystery, Inc." on Netflix, stat.

8BitArchitect

Sep 24, 2014
McMarbles said:
Someone point this guy to "Mystery, Inc." on Netflix, stat.
I think I've seen about 5 minutes of that show. I find Scooby Doo episodes older than me to be much better than those younger than me.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Never been that into scooby doo, but I do love lego...

It looks OK I guess. about what you'd expect...

And did someone seriously put up an 'ad' for fake id in thus thread? Wow... -_- That's a new one. Also the first blatant spam I've seen on the escapist.
(other than in the facebook feeds)

Still, what DO velma and Daphne look like as lego? It's got me wondering now...
(also regardless of if it includes all the figures or not, is the mystery machine even big enough to hold all 5 members of the team? Because that would annoy me if it wasn't...)