Scott Pilgrim Inspired By River City Ransom

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Scott Pilgrim Inspired By River City Ransom

If real life were merged with River City Ransom, you'd get Scott Pilgrim.

With the Scott Pilgrim [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101449-New-Scott-Pilgrim-vs-The-World-Trailer-Hits-the-Net] may have begun as a graphic novel, but its true beginnings start at the Nintendo Entertainment System.

O'Malley played NES games like Mega Man [http://www.amazon.com/MEGA-Online-Game-Code-Xbox-360/dp/B001LRQ91A/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281891717&sr=1-1] growing up, and though these titles were easy to distinguish from reality, he feels he became the character as he played. "I tried to literalize this sense of having spent time playing Mega Man, it's kind of like you were Mega Man for those hours of your life," he said.

Later on as games became more realistic, it became harder to distinguish what was real and what wasn't. O'Malley continued: "In my teens and university and stuff, video games became more realistic or they started to. Something like Resident Evil 2 [http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007KQC4/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1281891759&sr=1-1], when they started becoming 3-D and they had fog and stuff, then I would start confusing that with reality once in a while, when I was tired."

Scott Pilgrim appears to have come about by exchanging the experience of confusing realistic games with reality with the experience of confusing those that were unrealistic. "I extrapolated that back to the old Nintendo games," O'Malley reveals. "What if you played River City Ransom and you just remembered that as your high school experience. That was my inspiration for the book."

It's a simple concept but one of those things only the geniuses amongst us seem to be able to figure out. River City Ransom is an NES game similar to Double Dragon but with high school students that bash each other's heads in with sticks and chains while exclaiming: "Barf!" The NES classic was apparently also the inspiration for the Scott Pilgrim videogame, a side-scrolling beat-em-up featuring the amazing visuals of Paul Robertson.

Source: Capcom Unity [http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/blog/2010/08/13/scott_pilgrim_creator:_i_was_mega_man]

Bryan Jue

Mar 18, 2010
As soon as I saw the first teaser for the Scott Pilgrim game I immediately thought "River City Ransom!!" If I had a PS3 I'd get the Scott Pilgrim game immediately, sight unseen. RCR is probably my favorite NES game ever.

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Bryan Jue said:
As soon as I saw the first teaser for the Scott Pilgrim game I immediately thought "River City Ransom!!"
I did the same thing and I didnt even play River City that much.

Psychosocial said:
Well, it's not like the fact that the game is a shitty River City Ransom ripoff didn't give this sorta away already.
It may have been a ripoff but I thought it was a rather good and fun one.

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
If the movie is based on such a great game, why is the game based on the movie so bad? Shouldn't it just be an upgraded River City Ransom?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
That was pretty obvious, especially in the flashback scene (IIRC) in the beginning of the second book. I never played RCR and I immediately thought, 'Ha, he went to Ransom City High!'

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
A true NES classic. I can't wait until The Game hits Xbox Live. It'll probably be the first Live Arcade game I've purchased in very a long time.

PurpleSky

Apr 20, 2010
I dont care how good the comics are I never heard of this and yet everybody is talking about it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Heh, an intresting place to get his inspiration from, that much is for sure...I, never saw this coming

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
PurpleSky said:
I dont care how good the comics are I never heard of this and yet everybody is talking about it.
A trip to the library and/or the movie theater should rectify that issue.

OT: The game looks awesome. Shame it doesn't come for the PC.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
i would say this guy needs therapy and medications, i mean this interview could be and should be the poster child for the anti video game lobby and their half baked claims. I been playing video games from the nes up to crysis and have never had any trouble telling real life from video games. This guy is borderline crazy period. glad he could lest make some money off his near psychosis tho.

But really how many of you all out there have issue telling life from a video game, awake tired or whatever?

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
I'm just happy to see people talking about River City Ransom again. That fucking game is, and always will be, one of my favorite games of all time.

Chevy235

Jun 8, 2010
RIVER CITY RANSOM RULES!

O man, my cartridge burned out so long ago...it was the coolest game ever...

That and Flashback rocked my world. That seems a little weird now later in life, but I didn't have much else going on.