Scott Pilgrim VS the world XBLA review

Neko Pounce

WARGARBLE
Nov 15, 2010
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game

Price: on the XBLA is 800 MSP. That's about $10 or £7 to you or me.
Overview

The game is all in 16BIT graphics, and is based on the graphic novel, not the film.
There's not much of a story to it, it's what you expect for a game about something like this. You have 4 players to pick from, Scott, Kim Ramona and Stills, There's also Knives to unlock if you buy the overpriced DLC (400 points for one person is stupidly overpriced if you ask me).

Who you play the game as doesn't make a lot of odds to the game, you get a few different attacked with each person, but nothing game changing at all.

Story

There are 7 levels to the game, 1 for each of Ramona?s 7 evil ex?s. Well, that's a lie actually. There are 6 for the ex's since one of the levels is twice as long and you take to of them out, but that's just a technicality, not a big deal.
Other than that there isn't a lot to say, a arcade game only has so much room for a story, and this game just doesn't need to explain itself.

Gameplay

This game couldn't be more like those old 8BIT 2D fighters we all used to play, this may however be because it IS a 16BIT 2D fighter, only the soundtrack is better, the pace you can play at is so much faster then say, Streets of Rage.
After picking your player, you start the game, normally at level 1 with no XP. So you start the game slow, and weak. It's a challenge. This is a flaw in my eyes. Game's would normally get harder as you get to the later levels of the game, but if you level up enough, then the game becomes a cakewalk.

Normally fights are just mashing buttons, there are combo's you can use, but when you really play the game you realise that they are pretty useless overall.
Boss battles are all pretty well done. There one that starts with you in a guitar hero battle, to one against a ninja. It's very well made and the bosses change enough to keep you engrossed.

Levelling System

The levelling system in this game is pretty basic, you've got your stats, you've got your XP, and you've got your level. As these numbers get higher, so does the damage you deal, and the speed you move.
There's nothing intuitive about it, but it's perfect for this game.

Soundtrack

Hmm... The soundtrack for this? It's all 8BIT, but it's the funkiest 16BIT tunes you'll hear for a long while. The soundtrack kept me playing this game, even when the fighting got repetitive.
The background tunes really set the mood, and if I had to say one thing about this game, it's how amazing the soundtrack really is.

Longitivity

The game lasted me 5 hours the first time I played to the end; second time was 2 hours, third time, 1 hour. As I said before, the levelling system slowly causes the game to become a cakewalk, and it does lose its challenge and some of its appeal due to this. Still, for what's really the same at £7, who am I to complain?
Multiplayer

There's local multiplayer and co-op if you would like to play it with a close by friend, but the actually mode is pretty useless, Good overall, I did play a few games with a mate so that I could give my view of it, and the 2 competitive modes are pretty fun for a little while. Gave me an extra hour of entertainment, I would say.

Summery

Great game, good price. Can't really go wrong with this unless you just don't enjoy good old beat em' ups.
I highly recommend this game to you, and if it ever gets taken down to 400 points on the marketplace, I highly recommend you get it while you can!

4/5 starts. Not quite perfect, but great none the less.

Bluntman1138

Aug 12, 2011
Did you all just get his game released overseas or something? Because it came out over a year ago here in the States.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Some recommendations/comments:

1) So it's a 2D fighting game? Because I thought it was a beat 'em up. But from your review, I'm getting the impression that it's a fighter. (However then you mention Streets of Rage, which furthers this confusion.)
2) Proofread. A typo here or there isn't going to kill you, but there are quite a few in this review. Examples: "Combo's", "different attacked", "a arcade", "actually mode", etc.
3) Pictures are always beneficial.
4) The headers. I would make them stand out more. Bold them, italicize them, underline them, make them bigger, change their colour -- something! And if you need to have them right beside a line, make that line under, not over it. For example:

Instead of this:

Text
Header
(Space)
Text

Or, ideally, this:

Text
(Space)
Header
(Space)
Text

Make it like this: