Scott Pilgrim = Watchmen ?

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
Just_A_Glitch said:
ANImaniac89 said:
it was at this moment that I hit him....... really hard.... in the head.
It was at this moment that, had that been me, I would never have spoken to you again. Seriously, punching someone "really hard" in the head over a different opinion? Some friend you are.

OT: Personally, Scott Pilgrim > Watchmen. I hated Watchmen. It just bored me to death... Scott Pilgrim though, is one of my favorite comic series, and the movie is my movie of the year, narrowly edging out Toy Story 3.
Violence between us is nothing new, one time I almost got stabbed when I beat him at Mortal Kombat (that asshole is quick with a butterfly knife)

Dr. Whiggs

Jan 12, 2008
Oh, goodie, more Watchmen circle-jerking.

Let me tell you something: Watchmen is nothing but a serviceable noir story completely failed by the most ludicrous, pie-eyed, moony ending in recent memory.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Impposter said:
I thought Watchmen did better than Scott Pilgrim, no?
I think Scott Pilgrim = The Spirit in terms of movie success.
Financially, maybe. But there's more to a movie's quality and worth than how many people the trailers can draw to the theater. From the perspective of a movie-lover, not a financial backer.

Let's face it: "Michael Cera doing a romcom the video game way" isn't a concept that's going to draw a lot of people into a theater.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Dr. Whiggs said:

Let me tell you something: Watchmen is nothing but a serviceable noir story completely failed by the most ludicrous, pie-eyed, moony ending in recent memory.
Are you referring to the 'giner-squid ending or the widespread nukings ending?

Dr. Whiggs

Jan 12, 2008
mr_rubino said:
Dr. Whiggs said:

The squid, of course.

Jamiemitsu

Oct 25, 2009
Well, I thought Scott Pilgrim was pretty good. Your right, though, it's not "Watchmen good". Now, Kick Ass, on the other hand...

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Tagball said:
Yeah...I really don't understand the hype surrounding the comics. I like the art...but the writing isn't so strong. How the hell could you even compare Watchmen and Scott Pilgrim? That's like comparing Bread and a Humpback Whale. Two completely different things.

The Scott Pilgrim movie, on the other hand, I loved. I might've liked it more than Inception. Oh yeah, I went there.
Oh, don't worry. I liked Inception and Scott Pilgrim equally (again, they're like bread and a whale - completely different), together they are my joint top films of this year...

But yeah, I understand and agree where you're coming from. The only similarity between Watchmen and Scott Pilgrim is that they are both graphic novels (and both are awesome). Comparing them is like comparing cheese and the Sun. For those two, they're both the same colour but otherwise are different 100%. Same with the graphic novels. They're both awesome, but that's where the similarities end...

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
wc alligator said:
I haven't read the SP comics because I'm pretty sure it's just Hipsters: The Graphic Novel.
I haven't seen the movie either but (once again) I'm sure without the awesome talent of Edgar Wright it would have just been Hipsters: The Movie. I could never relate to that shit.
All Edgar Wright works are pure gold though.
Hipsters? Eh. They're Torontonian 20-somethings fresh out of university - and they're in a crappy band. They do what young, broke people in Toronto do. It reminds me a lot of this other series I've read, Brooklyn Dreams.

Is Scott Pilgrim a hipster? Maybe you could define him as such, but the graphic novels don't endorse his actions. He's quite clearly shown as a flawed character, especially near the end.

Give the books a chance. They're good.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Dr. Whiggs said:
mr_rubino said:
Dr. Whiggs said:

The squid, of course.
Do not question the lovesquid.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Watchman was boring but stylish. Scott pilgrim wasn't boring and stylish.

I dunno what you guys mean when you say hipster. I assume its a term for "people who are in the know with social clicks" because thats what being hip is.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
dogstile said:
Watchman was boring but stylish. Scott pilgrim wasn't boring and stylish.

I dunno what you guys mean when you say hipster. I assume its a term for "people who are in the know with social clicks" because thats what being hip is.
People who buy clothes 2nd hand, do vaguely artsy stuff, and drink PBR. Apparently that's something to hate on.

I dunno. Hipster is the new emo. The generic other. The enemy.

Dr. Whiggs

Jan 12, 2008
ThrobbingEgo said:
Dr. Whiggs said:
mr_rubino said:
Dr. Whiggs said:

The squid, of course.
How is a faked alien attack that will unify the US and Soviet Union for, oh, let's say two months, a believable ending? And how does this new-found camaraderie lead to borscht burgers and horseshit like that?

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Dr. Whiggs said:
ThrobbingEgo said:
Dr. Whiggs said:
mr_rubino said:
Dr. Whiggs said:

The squid, of course.
How is a faked alien attack that will unify the US and Soviet Union for, oh, let's say two months, a believable ending? And how does this new-found camaraderie lead to borscht burgers and horseshit like that?
It's a new enemy. A new other. Stronger alliances have been forged over less.

That detail wasn't really the important bit anyway. It's the situation, the sacrifice, and the failure to stop it that's important.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
ThrobbingEgo said:
wc alligator said:
I haven't read the SP comics because I'm pretty sure it's just Hipsters: The Graphic Novel.
I haven't seen the movie either but (once again) I'm sure without the awesome talent of Edgar Wright it would have just been Hipsters: The Movie. I could never relate to that shit.
All Edgar Wright works are pure gold though.
Hipsters? Eh. They're Torontonian 20-somethings fresh out of university - and they're in a crappy band. They do what young, broke people in Toronto do. It reminds me a lot of this other series I've read, Brooklyn Dreams.

Is Scott Pilgrim a hipster? Maybe you could define him as such, but the graphic novels don't endorse his actions. He's quite clearly shown as a flawed character, especially near the end.

Give the books a chance. They're good.
Don't even get into this. It never ends well. Nobody but frustrated high schoolers actually use the word "hipster" seriously, and its basically just typical anti-intellectual "Everyone is fake but me" nonsense.
Ever want to derail a discussion? Just mention "Juno". It'll become a "herp a derp hipster herp a derp" fest.

Dr. Whiggs

Jan 12, 2008
ThrobbingEgo said:
Dr. Whiggs said:
ThrobbingEgo said:
Dr. Whiggs said:
mr_rubino said:
Dr. Whiggs said:

The squid, of course.
It's a new enemy. A new other. Stronger alliances have been forged over less.

That detail wasn't really the important bit anyway. It's the situation, the sacrifice, and the failure to stop it that's important.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say no two countries in history have started playing grabass over a more flimsy reason than fighting pretend alien squids. And, since that's the linchpin of the villain's plan, it's pretty damn important.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
Dr. Whiggs said:
ThrobbingEgo said:
Dr. Whiggs said:
mr_rubino said:
Dr. Whiggs said:

The squid, of course.
Hell I love Watchmen and I still think the ending is weak. and from what I have read it came from being late for a deadline and seeing a old episode of Outer Limits, I believe its was one called "The Architects of fear". all that aside Watchmen is still a game changing piece of graphic fiction.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
I absolutely loved Scott Pilgrim for the writing. I think its pointless to debate which is better, though. They really are like apples and oranges. So I can say I liked Scott Pilgrim more than Watchmen because I thought the writing was really realistic and Watchmen was incredibly pretentious. But to each his own. Hitting is unnecessary.