Scottish Police Blame Throat Slashing on Gears of War

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
likalaruku said:
::Reads article:: Exactly WHERE does it say this kid has his own kid?
Just after the paragraph about the "don't die" remark, to the left of the Gears Of War 3 cover picture.
The victim is now traumatised and his attacker ? already a father ? faces being locked up when returns to the dock later this month.
Christ, they seem to be pumping them out over in Clydebank even quicker than we are in Dundee!

And I found the way DM to be hilarious "In a scene reminiscent violent video games..."

Oh yeah, because everyone goes around in video games whispering "don't die" as soon as they've killed someone XD

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Actually, it doesn't really sound to me like violent videogames are being blamed here, at least not in general. It's the fact that a 13 year old was being allowed to play a violent 18+ game that their acting concerned about, and I don't think any of us disagree with that sentiment. Gears of War probably was a factor in this, but the police aren't blaming this solely on the game. Nobody here is saying that videogames are the devil, just that exposure to them requires some level of control.

Falsename

Oct 28, 2010
I know two friends who met one another whilst playing soccer, they had a falling out and one promptly kicked the other in the face with his sharp soccer shoes (I think they're called Cleets).

So we promptly banned all forms of similar team based sports from our country. Soccer, Rugby, Netball, basketball, waterpolo and many more.

And we're a safer country for it. The system works, trust it.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
If the 13 year old has a child of his own I think we all know where the fault lies and it isn't with the game.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Wait... he's thirteen and has a kid of his own? Jesus, I mean I know I'm from the US but this is the UK. I dont know why but I expect them to not be babies having babies.

Honestly though with that crime between assault, attempted murder, or what could ahve been murder I dont know what has the lighter prison sentence. Damn though I dont blame the victim having sleep problems and not wanting to talk about it. I get nervous when anyone's around my throat enough to freak out.

thoug I do have to say, I love the captaion for the box art saying its very popular with young people. I dont know why it just makes me laugh.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I'm too tired and my head hurts too much for me to fully comprehend the utter stupidity of this whole situation. It is clear to me that the parents need to be held responsible for letting him get this far, the kid needs to be put into a detention center or something, and the baby needs to be kept as far away as possible from this family.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
nexus said:
I don't have time for this shit anymore.
You and me both. It's getting to the point I'm losing interest in being a part of the culture anymore.

Athefist

Nov 10, 2008
When is society going to start punishing horrible parents? If you raise a 13 year old throat slasher who's knocking up girls, I want you thrown in prison. If your kid bombs a marathon, I don't want to see you crying on the news declaring your horrible kid's innocence, I want you standing in line in the lethal injection chamber waiting for your turn on the table. If your kid shoots up a school, I want you and your kid to share the same fate. I'm sick of this "blame anything but the parent" mentality. When this throat slasher's kid grows up to be a thug, will the news report on his dad's criminal past? Probably not. They'll probably blame it on video games instead.

Tom Artingstall

Sep 23, 2011
For future reference, Escapist, the Daily Mail is not a reputable source of news in Britain. It's sort of like the New York Post, in that it's 50% exaggeration, 12% truth and 38% outright lies.

Movitz

Jan 30, 2013
Of curse this is legit! My neighbour ate my cat after playing that damn Yoshis' Story!

I'm really more suprised that he keeps a Ninentendo 64 than he eating my cat, he never seemed to be a nerd =S

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Where are the articles where Gears of War inspired children to listen to some sweet jazz?

(Yes. All this time and I still can't believe they named a character Cole Train.)

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Shinsei-J said:
Oh god, the blame game again?
I now have a queued response for anytime someone goes crey-cray and people try to blame something else.
It goes as such.
That's going to be stuck in my head forever now :|

But anyways, this whole accusation is pretty stupid. If they'd met in a public park, you wouldn't blame the park. If they'd met on facebook or something you wouldn- ok wait, maybe they would blame facebook. What is it with these people and ascribing magical aggression-amplifying powers to anything technological?

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
There's Gears of War.

Then there's psycho 13 year olds with a bad upbringing causing them to be so stupid as to have sex -unprotected- before the age of 13. Who also happen to play play Gears of War.

Haven't we made that distinction a million times?

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
For further reading, this BBC report on the matter sounds considerably more balanced (whoduvthunkit; original source being the Daily Fail, after all), notes other games as well as GoW3 and also points at how apologetic(!!!) the assailant apparently is.

Auntie Beeb said:
Boy, 13, slashed friend's neck over 'Xbox games row'
A 13-year-old boy has admitted slashing the neck of another teenager after the pair had fallen out over Xbox games.

The boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, met the victim online in December 2011 while playing the 18-rated "Gears of War 3" game.

After falling out about this and other games, the boy slashed his former friend's neck in Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire on 14 April 2012.

Sentence on the boy was deferred at the High Court in Glasgow.

The court heard how the boys met online around Christmas time in 2011 and eventually met in person and played football together with other youngsters.

Name calling
There was no animosity between them until a month before the attack when they had fallouts online about the games they had been playing, including Gears of War 3.

The court was told this amounted to name calling via the messaging system used in the game.

On 14 April last year the victim met up with some friends and the group later encountered the accused and another boy at a local shop.

The 14-year-old kept his distance due to the previous arguments but later that night he and another boy were going to a friend's house in Clydebank when they became aware of the accused.

The court heard words may have been exchanged between the boys, but the victim cannot recall this.

The accused grabbed the 14 year-old by the throat and then slashed him across the neck.

The victim put his hands to his throat and felt blood pouring from a large wound under his chin.

Following the attack, the court was told, the accused sneered at the teenager, saying "don't die", before calmly walking off.

When paramedics arrived, the victim said a boy had "slit his throat in an argument about XBox games".

The wound exposed his windpipe and required 20 staples following surgery, which has left him scarred.

'Really sorry'
The accused was later questioned after being detained at his Glasgow secondary school.

He made no comment to police at the time but it was later discovered he had sent two voice messages to his victim via Xbox Live.

One claimed he was "really sorry" for what happened and that he was "an idiot".

It said: "Honestly you don't know how upset I am. I'm sitting here on the x-box just to say I'm sorry bro."

The other, which was also sent on the day of the attack, said: "I know you won't accept my apology and I know I'm going to get the jail, but I am actual so upset and so down."

Prosecutor Andrew Brown QC told the court that police had questioned the role of the games in this attack.

He said: "The reporting officer was of the opinion that the violent video games played online by the accused may have been a factor in his conduct.

"As noted, the games are very violent in nature and have a British Board of Film Classification 18 rating in the UK."

The accused, who is now 14, had his bail continued by Judge Lord Turnbull. Sentencing is due to take place later this month.
Still a crazy story, still sounds like a bit of a bampot, but sounds a bit more sympathetic now, non?

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
lacktheknack said:
He has his own child?

Well, clearly, saying his parents should pay more attention to what he does is a useless avenue.
^This. Also:

Horrible story (not unlikely partly bullshit considering DM), but I'd say it has more to do with him being a psychopath and if you want to look at something in his environment, his parents would be a better start than videogames.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
Desert Punk said:
ninjaRiv said:
"The Daily mail reports." Of course it does.

notice that nobody's saying "ban games" which is good.
Well, knowing the UK, they will try to ban knives in a few days.
Well... Yeah, I guess they would try and ban the carrying of knives. Which they already have done, to a point.