SCOTUS rules LGBTQ's entitled to Title VII protection

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Opinion came down on Bostock v. Clayton County. Court ruled 6-3 that Title VII protections under the Civil Rights Act of 1964 apply for the bases of sexual orientation and gender identity. That's...not exactly a small deal.

I'd like to point without commentary as to the Justice authoring the opinion: Neil Gorsuch.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I had to look it up, and Title VII is what prohibits employment discrimination based on things like race, color, religion, etc.
Just throwing that out there for the benefit of those who are ignorant like me.

Reactions: CaitSeith

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
The money quote from the Syllabus:

The lessons these cases hold are instructive here. First, it is irrelevant what an employer might call its discriminatory practice, how others might label it, or what else might motivate it. In Manhart, the employer might have called its rule a “life expectancy” adjustment, and in Phillips, the employer could have accurately spoken of its policy as one based on “motherhood.” But such labels and additional intentions or motivations did not make a difference there, and they cannot make a difference here. When an employer fires an employee for being homosexual or transgender, it necessarily intentionally discriminates against that individual in part because of sex. Second, the plaintiff’s sex need not be the sole or primary cause of the employer’s adverse action. In Phillips, Manhart, and Oncale, the employer easily could have pointed to some other, nonprotected trait and insisted it was the more important factor in the adverse employment outcome. Here, too, it is of no significance if another factor, such as the plaintiff’s attraction to the same sex or presentation as a different sex from the one assigned at birth, might also be at work, or even play a more important role in the employer’s decision. Finally, an employer cannot escape liability by demonstrating that it treats males and females comparably as groups. Manhart is instructive here. An employer who intentionally fires an individual homosexual or transgender employee in part because of that individual’s sex violates the law even if the employer is willing to subject all male and female homosexual or transgender employees to the same rule.
In short, a firm cannot create an otherwise legal pretext from discrimination "on the basis of sex," and "on the basis of sex" now expressly includes an applicant/employee's sexual orientation or trans status.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Opinion came down on Bostock v. Clayton County. Court ruled 6-3 that Title VII protections under the Civil Rights Act of 1964 apply for the bases of sexual orientation and gender identity. That's...not exactly a small deal.

I'd like to point without commentary as to the Justice authoring the opinion: Neil Gorsuch.
The more I encounter high court judgements, the more I think all nine of them just pick whatever they feel like, and that the opinions and defences are just post-hoc rationalisations. Like, judicial rulings exist on a huge number of things, often overlapping, and in practice precedents exist for both sides of a decision, so any view can be reasonably defended.

With regards to Gorsuch, although there were expectations he'd be a Trump base loyalist (and may well prove important when abortion next crops up), from what I've read it's not uncommon that Supreme Court appointees don't quite work out the way the appointing president hoped.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
With regards to Gorsuch, although there were expectations he'd be a Trump base loyalist (and may well prove important when abortion next crops up), from what I've read it's not uncommon that Supreme Court appointees don't quite work out the way the appointing president hoped.
Actually from everything I've heard, Gorsuch wasn't really a bad pick, he was conservative but rather moderate as I understand and this was before trump would really start going nuts with demanding loyalty and such.

Tireseas

Plaguegirl
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Seattle
Country
United States
Actually from everything I've heard, Gorsuch wasn't really a bad pick, he was conservative but rather moderate as I understand and this was before trump would really start going nuts with demanding loyalty and such.
The biggest issue with Gorsuch politically was that McConnell broke every semblance of protocol to hold the seat open for Trump to fill. Make no mistake, Gorsuch is more conservative than Scalia, the justice he replaced and, to be really blunt, there's a lot of lower-court precedent that has generally protected trans people from employment discrimination on the same basis that hadn't been extended to sexual orientation until this opinion.

But the justices are not outside the modern media landscape. No one wants to write the Dred Scott decision and be so clearly on the wrong side of history. Furthermore, Roberts is almost certainly in the majority because (a) rolling back protections for these vulnerable classes would look really bad for the court and potentially further damage its legitimacy and (b) so he could assign the case to the most conservative judge possible as Ginsburg would be assigning it if he was in the majority. I'm suspecting Gorsuch sided with the majority first on precedential grounds, with Roberts following to insure that the decision was written more narrowly than Ginburg or the other democrat-appointed judges.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
By my understanding, "conservative" normally more refers to attitudes in Constitutional assessment rather than political leaning. Specifically, conservatives like to stick to what they thought the framers of the consitution would have thought, where liberals tend to use interpretations more in line with modern re-evaluation. My understanding of Gorsuch is that he very much followed that arch-conservative (in judicial terms), Antonin Scalia. Of course, the point being that arch-conservatives are more likely to view Roe v. Wade as a particularly objectionable legal creation that would never have passed muster with conservative Constitutional interpretation.

I quickly scanned through the first few pages of Kavanaugh's dissent, and I'd have thought that dissent extremely appealing to Gorsuch. But then, it's not like I really know the guy.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Gorsuch was also selected because he's a corporatist who opposes organized labor. That's his main wheelhouse. It just happens that anti-queer discrimination isn't as profitable as it once was, so there's not much need to keep doing it from the perspective of a business ledger.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
The more I encounter high court judgements, the more I think all nine of them just pick whatever they feel like, and that the opinions and defences are just post-hoc rationalisations.
Pretty much, anyone that poo-poohs legal realism has either taken one too many sips of the Kool-aid or is trying to sell the illusion courts aren't fundamentally partisan. Even if partisanship along which lines can be obscure by design at times, like for example Kelo.

What I find hilariously ironic about all this is McConnell ultimately played himself screwing over Obama. Gorsuch's politics are, for better or worse, an open book but Garland was still to his right on 4th, 5th, 7th, and 8th Amendment jurisprudence and would have been friendlier to a GOP agenda all-around save wedge issues.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Leonard French goes over the ruling.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
What I find hilariously ironic about all this is McConnell ultimately played himself screwing over Obama. Gorsuch's politics are, for better or worse, an open book but Garland was still to his right on 4th, 5th, 7th, and 8th Amendment jurisprudence and would have been friendlier to a GOP agenda all-around save wedge issues.
Yeah, but once Obama nominated him, the Republicans couldn't. Because them's the rules.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
In a since deleted tweet, one person quipped approximately the following: "Now LGBTQ workers will get to lose their employment discrimination case in summary judgment rather than a motion to dismiss."

It's a positive development, though, no doubt.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Conservative/religious have been making a lot less noise about sexuality in the last few years, the issues reached a certain critical acceptance threshold where it's not worth fighting over, plus they always have abortion to fall back on to motivate people. Nobody is talking about rolling back marriage equality and the like, next election it probably won't even be mentioned, I doubt this judgment even made any noise in the right wing media sphere.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Conservative/religious have been making a lot less noise about sexuality in the last few years, the issues reached a certain critical acceptance threshold where it's not worth fighting over, plus they always have abortion to fall back on to motivate people. Nobody is talking about rolling back marriage equality and the like, next election it probably won't even be mentioned, I doubt this judgment even made any noise in the right wing media sphere.
Ted Cruz is apparently mad about it. Then again, he's the turd sandwich who said that the Gay Marriage SCOTUS case was one of the "darkest days in American History". Darker then 9/11, Pearl Harbor or when the guy who heavily implied Cruz's dad helped assassinate JFK got elected president. Oh, and also Benghazi, because that was the Rightees big fucking obsession for a couple years.

Reactions: BrawlMan

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
So will this have any impact on Trump's BS military bans? What about the GOP's restricting LGBTQ from adopting ? Health Insurance coverage? This ruling hopefully should give people a precedent in other areas as well since they are now FINALLY officially including them.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
So will this have any impact on Trump's BS military bans?
I would hazard a guess that it would not, as the military would either be exempt from Title VII or claim to have a rationale for making an exception.

Seems that it's a mix of the two, mostly the former: https://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=7103&context=ylj

Title VII extends the protections afforded by the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, to all employees "in military departments." Notwith-standing this language, both the Eighth and Ninth Circuits have held that Title VII does not apply to uniformed military personnel. The Supreme Court has denied review of the issue. These courts thus deny any judicial redress for employment discrimination to over two million citizens in the nation's service. A lone district court has opined that Title VII applies to uniformed servicepersons. Even this court would limit its application severely."

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I would hazard a guess that it would not, as the military would either be exempt from Title VII or claim to have a rationale for making an exception.

Seems that it's a mix of the two, mostly the former: https://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=7103&context=ylj
The military cannot deny someone by their race, religion or sex, so they can still be sued I would think.

There is no shortage of lawyers advertising that very thing:

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Health Insurance coverage?
Wouldn't this actually work against transfolk on insurance coverage? I mean, if cis women and trans women need to be supplied the same coverage, and you don't cover breast implants for cis women...