Scraping the Bottom

Mazimadu

Mar 15, 2010
[Written with epic sarcasm]
Bob I hate you.

Not because you write columns I might disagree with. Not because you are a film critic on a gaming website. I hate you because people like you are the reason dumb films like Abe Lincoln: Vampire hunter get made. There are actually a sizable number of Hollywood writers that read columns like this. In a very, Very short time from now someone will be pitching Tony the Tiger Saves the WORLD! or McDonald's: The beginning to some dumbass Executive.

If we are lucky things might languish in development hell, giving the writers more time to come up with things more "original" like Chronicle (Akira), or District 9 (Halo) or Looper (12 monkeys meets Akira).

So I beg you, please, STOP GIVING THEM IDEAS! You are making it worse!

JudgeGame

Jan 2, 2013
I liked the Office mascots and I refuse to believe there is anybody over the age of 18 that hasn't spent at least two hours of their life clicking the Animate button just to see what each one did.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Paul10238 said:
As far as the boardgame-to-movie thing goes, Battleship wasn't the first. Clue was in 1985. And it's a pretty damn good movie.
Clue rocked. Extremely well cast, having Tim Curry, Christopher Lloyd, and Michael McKean sharing screen time was phenomenal. The multiple ending scenarios were great, and Colleen Camp as Yvette the maid... bonus.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
blackrave said:
Falseprophet said:
Roadside Picnic is one of the greatest science fiction novels of all time. I still need to check out the movie though.
Movie is in russian, so the best choice is to watch it in original (if you can)
Also it isn't some flashy sci-fi action flick, more like psychological drama
Most of the time it is about how Zone can mess with your head
Loved the original russian film, especially the subtle ending (me thinks the X-Men: The Last Stand writer may have seen Stalker at some point, based on the ending). The book "Roadside Picnic" was also amazing.

Always loved how well the games seem to have captured the atmosphere, and some of the mythos, of the movie, while, y'know, making it into a game.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Oh yeah, I can see it all now.....

Sugar Bear's Crispy El Dorado Adventure.

Tucan Tales: Treasure of the Lost Loop.

Cap'n Crunch on the High Seas.

Coooooookie Crook's Great Escape.

Rage Comics: The Ragening.

Grumpy Cat the Movie.

Ermahgerd! (Starring Fred Figglehorn).

Ecce Homo & Pals.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Vault101 said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
VanQQisH said:
I wouldn't mind seeing some adaptations of comics like Calvin & Hobbes, for example. Hell, I'm sure there are some web comics with followings worth an adaptation or two.
Somebody never saw the live action Garfield movies. Consider yourself warned.
the difference is the scource material

Garfeild is a barley funny strip that you could literally just make with photoshop and never have to even draw it...it lacks any kind of substance visually or written

Calvin and Hobbs has heart and humour...of coarse somone could fuck it up in the wrong hands (think the Lorax) but in the right hands theres alot to work with
Except that anyone who would have the gall to make a movie out of Calvin and Hobbes, in direct violation of the creator's wishes (and, if I understand the terms of his contract with the syndicate correctly, copyright law), is exactly who I would consider "the wrong hands".

This is one case where I say let the source material stand on its own merits. If people are too lazy to read it instead of plunk themselves in front of a screen watching some other writer's stripped-down, 90-minute reinterpretation of it, they don't deserve to be pandered to.

And for what it's worth, Garfield earned its place as the most popular comic strip in America by being genuinely funny and clever for almost two decades, and it spawned a TV show that was even better. It's just that by the time the movie came along, it had devolved into the humorless dreck it is today. More information on Garfield's decline can be found on the Internet. [http://wondermark.com/the-comic-strip-doctor-garfield/]

Not G. Ivingname said:
Let's hope youtube replaces film as the major form of artistic expression before that happens.
Except YouTube was what gave the world shit like Fred and The Annoying Orange in the first place, among other things that are just as terrible. Not to mention the implications of giving a single website a monopoly on all media. People like you scare me sometimes.

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
Moon Knight. I even bought the six issue Volume 2 and loved it in spite of others criticizing the hell out of it.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
Many of the Muppets were originally conceived as spokes-monsters for products, you don't hear people complaining about it now.

I am looking forward to the remix movies that are starting to take off like Everything is Terrible's Doggie Woggiez Poochie Woochiez (2,000 dog movies cut together) and Memorex (http://vimeo.com/55006097)

I have also seen Joe Dante's epic "The Movie Orgy" and the Girl Walk All Day movie.

fuzzyhippo

Dec 21, 2009
Those ideas are like old Drawn Together episodes. Wooldoor tries to become a cereal mascot in "Breakfast Food Killer", and while the show didn't use the actual mascots from actual cereals, the resemblances are close enough. "Clippy" was used in a gag once when Wooldoor was getting ready for his noose nap. "Try to avoid usiing cliches, like 'Good-by cruel world', and make sure to blame your parents..." Heck, the character of Spanky Ham was supposed to be a Flash cartoon, and while not a meme, was pretty darn close.

JSW

Oct 7, 2009
Crimson_Dragoon said:
You know what? A "Rise of the Guardians" style mashup of cereal mascots would be awesome. I'd see it.
Something like this [http://breakfastofthegods.com/]?