Screaming in Music

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
LilithSlave said:
Personally, musically, I like the "true screamo" stuff. Like this.
Omg another one!
Do you like Pianos Become The Teeth?

The Plunk said:
I depends on the context.

If you look like one of these cunts:
And if your lyrics are about how sad it is that your girlfriend dumped you, you can fuck right off.
The Plunk said:
Their music is still shit and they still look like cunts, so it doesn't make much of a difference, does it?
Will never understand the hate for this band. They don't look like that anymore (apart tattoos they look pretty much normal but I don't know why that would be a problem unless you're actively looking for something to get pissy over) and they're far better than the majority of metalcore and scene bands around.

OT: I like screaming in music, but I love singing equally. It all depends on what you're trying to convey.

El Luck

Jul 22, 2011
Blargh McBlargh said:
El Luck said:
I don't mind screaming in music so long as its done right. Which is why I barely(read: never) listen to Metalcore or deathcore for that matter.
You mean due to singers sounding like they got their balls stuck in the zipper of their pants?

There's a few decent metalcore bands, though. :p Eths and Mnemic come to mind.
Those two arent bad, though not a fan of Eths vocals, the only two female metal vocalists I like are Lizzy Hale and Angela Gossow.

And while the screamy vocals are a minor gripe with Metalcore...the major gripe for me would be the fucking breakdowns, I dont mind them and they can be pretty good in a song, but not when they're all the same.

saoirse13

Mar 21, 2012
To be totally honest... I F**KING hate it. I don't know why, and I'm usually open to all types of music but every time i hear bloody screaming it puts me in a crappy mood and i usually end up with a headache.
Bring me the Horizon are the one band that I can't stand. Especially during this song ft Lights. For her part it's quite a nice song. But when he starts to sing I start to think "why won't someone put him out of his misery.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTdst_X8StU

guitarsniper

Mar 5, 2011
I quite like metal, but there's definitely levels of skill. A bad screamer tends to be worse to listen to than a bad singer.

Aiedail256

Jan 21, 2011
I have a friend who loves symphonic metal and melodic death metal. Once, he linked me a few examples of each. I told him that the only reason I didn't like them was because the vocalist wasn't singing.

Perhaps an explanation is in order:
Vocals must have pitch for me to consider them "singing"
It has been my experience that screaming in songs generally has no specific pitch.
If a song has a vocalist, I cannot enjoy it if I don't consider the vocals "singing"
Therefore, very few songs featuring screaming are enjoyable to me.

This is one of them:

CruisingForBiddies

Oct 30, 2011
TheBobmus said:
CruisingForBiddies said:
OhJohnNo said:
Of course, sometimes it's just hilarious.

<youtube=8yaYO0_NXhc>
I just wet myself. Words cannot describe how much I laughed.
... I think I'm missing the joke. Muse aren't consistently good enough songwriters for me to accept that they're taking the piss here. Unless of course their first two albums were designed to be parodies as well...
I'm not a fan of Muse at all. But this is just bad, that's the joke.