Scribblenauts Strategy Guide Defeats The Point

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
People still buy strategy guides? What, is typing in 'www.gameFAQs.com' too hard?

Emphraim

Mar 27, 2009
Irridium said:
I wonder if I can summon a strategy guide in the game. Then summon a flamethrower and burn it.

And besides, I can find the really odd words off the internet, I don't need a guide for that.
Yes you can. I'm pretty sure Destructoid had an article where they stated strategy guide could be written. Seriously, why buy this guide when the game is pretty much made for experimentation and a much bigger list of obscure words will be online within a week?

MrPop

May 14, 2009
Well that would suck the fun out of this title. I've always seen strategy guides as being redundant anyway. I like a challenge for once sometimes.

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
The main reason why it's silly is that grenades solve all problems.

Either that or dinosaurs. But do you really need to use the time machine first?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
First of all, the idea of Scribblenauts sounds interesting.

Second, why in the world would you make a strategy guide for a puzzle game? To help the mentally disabled and grandpas?

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
the main content from the "obscure" list will probably be all the memes and words that got included from the NeoGaf forums, and ofcourse post 215. =D
(just go check the Neogaf Scribblenauts thread for that one, it's rather epic)

Memes include longcat, keyboard cat, and numerous others. Quite hilarious.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Strategy guides are completely irrelevant now with the internet, (and detailed walkthroughs are easy to find on Youtube) and even if you do prefer a more detailed, hard copy version you can just pay a small yearly fee to IGN or Gamespot and get PDF guides that you can print out, as many as you want for all the games you need. I guess by law all major releases require that one strategy guide be released for them.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
The problem I have with such puzzles and the many ways to solve them, is that 90% of the time the player is going to choose the least common denominator for solving them. Whichever is the fastest and cheapest way to do it is probably the best way to do it. But when you have puzzles like that where the designer spends hours designing a puzzle that can be solved in ten different ways, it just seems like a waste.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
I miss the good ol' days (that may or may not have existed) when the only strategy guides were posted by fans on the Internet that they had painstakingly constructed as they played through the game themselves. And those guides were few. Nowadays, people shell out their hard-earned cash for professional guides even though there will be a free one that's just as good posted on the Interwebz the next day.

I was my local Electronics Boutique Games the day Gears of War 2 came out (I was there to buy Fallout 3, oddly enough) and while I was there, some guy came in and bought both GoW2 AND the strategy guide. Seriously, dude? You're anticipating that much difficulty? Or do you just wanna rank up all your achievements in the first run? Shameful, if you ask me.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
This game is making a big pile of hype, hope it can be as good as it advertises...

OT: Guide is pointless, but I find them pointless in all games.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
that game sounds really sweet!

It would be like buying a strategy guide for Portal, it could help but you might as well not play the game

Symp4thy

Jan 7, 2009
I see the point of those 500+ "obscure words" people may not have thought of, but couldn't they have just included them in a hints section in the manual or something.

My bad, they couldn't make more money that way...

theonecookie said:
but if you had a problem with zombies why just not summon a counter army of zombies
I would summon Francis, Zoey, Louis, and Bill

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Symp4thy said:
I see the point of those 500+ "obscure words" people may not have thought of, but couldn't they have just included them in a hints section in the manual or something.

My bad, they couldn't make more money that way...

theonecookie said:
but if you had a problem with zombies why just not summon a counter army of zombies
I would summon Francis, Zoey, Louis, and Bill
It only takes one guy to buy the guide, type them all up and then post it up and get it Digg'd (Dugg?) for them to be freely available on the internets, and then anyone with the ability to use Google can get it for free.

slopeslider

Mar 19, 2009
Who needs a guidebook for obscure words when on launch week there'll be dozens of threads on the best words in the game.
Im going to type in PSP, It'd be awesome if a small turd appeared!