Scribblenauts Uses Phonebooth to Change Into Super Scribblenauts

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Scribblenauts Uses Phonebooth to Change Into Super Scribblenauts

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's the sequel to Scribblenauts.

If you thought 5th Cell was going to be lame and call the Scribblenauts [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98929-Scribblenauts-Sequel-Planned-for-Fall] sequel Scribblenauts 2, think again. Then think a third time, because 5th Cell is taking a page from the Super Nintendo era with the sequel's name.

Officially announced today was not Scribblenauts 2, but Super Scribblenauts for the Nintendo DS. This seems like something a developer would name a game in the 1990s, but maybe 5th Cell is saving Scribblenauts 2 for a larger evolution of the series, or just thought it was boring to add a pesky number.

Scribblenauts was originally released on the DS in September 2009. The game's primary mechanic allowed players to write any noun they wished - such as boat, ladder, and even God - to have it appear in game to aid in the collection of a piece of "Starite" on each level.

What makes Super Scribblenauts so amazingly super, and perhaps even duper? New levels, upgraded controls, and from the newly released screens the graphics look cleaner too. One huge addition are adjectives which can modify the written nouns. 5th Cell expanded on adjectives and what they can do, saying they will be able to change the color, size, style, and behaviors of objects. They can also be strung together, with some examples given being "flying zombies" and "purple, obese, winged elephants."

I might buy the game just to make those zombies bite those elephants, and then have my own zombie elephant army to rule the world with. I mean, to collect Starite with. Super Scribblenauts is scheduled for fall 2010.

10BIT

Sep 14, 2008
I would prefer it if they announced that they were porting the game to the PC along with an editor to make any modifications we desire, but still, I enjoyed Scribblenauts and so I am looking forward to Super Scribblenauts, especially if they improve the control system. So many times in that game I ended up falling in lava due to the game mistaking a 'drag rope' as 'move here'.

MortalForNow

Jan 10, 2010
Yes, I had so much fun messing around with random stuff in Scribblenauts. Hopefully they'll add more arbitrary fun that wasn't included in the first game, maybe some new rules and options.

And please, fix the movement controls. You know there's a problem when the NPCs in the game automatically fail a level when they step over the goal items, which has happened to me numerous times, most notably with an overenthusiastic herbologist who ran to save her plants from a spider, and ended up destroying a plant and killing herself.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hopefully will keep what was good about first one and just add more possibilities!

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Think the media will make a story about the game when it either does or doesn't let you make:

god(what his defualt race is.) black god, white god, etc. or even female god.

That dark possible future aside the game sounds fairly nice.

Edit: I'm not trying to be offensive or say God is one way or another if you have a certain idea about.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
Shouldn't this be a patch? I was a huge supporter of the first game when it was due to come out, but it had so many issues (most importantly, the terrible controls) that I really felt ripped off when I bought it. Now it sounds like they've just fixed all of the previous issues. I'm glad they went ahead and added some nice features (the adjectives will be cool), but after how rough the original game was, I'm not about to pay again for version 1.1. Maybe this will convince people who aren't early adopters to try out what otherwise should have been a great game, but this is a patch, not a sequel, and that isn't worth buying over again. They at least owe the original purchasers a discount.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
...is that a cloth forklift in that screenshot?

I didn't buy a DS before and I won't now, but I hope this one's more succesful so I can continue to dream of a PC release.

The Sorrow

Jan 27, 2008
Lucane said:
female god.
Try "goddess".

Also, map movement to the d-pad, for the love of God. I am SICK AND FUCKING TIRED of trying to move my black hole around and accidentally jumping into lava.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I can only imagine this is the most painfully boring game to create in existence.

"It's been a long day but there's only 400 dictionary entries to go!"

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
The Sorrow said:
Lucane said:
female god.
Try "goddess".

Also, map movement to the d-pad, for the love of God. I am SICK AND FUCKING TIRED of trying to move my black hole around and accidentally jumping into lava.
Well "Goddess" wouldn't be an adjetive it'd be a new noun (If the 1st game didn't have it) but sure.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
Spawn Vending Machine.
Spawn Handcuffs.
Attach Handcuffs To Star.
Drag Star, With Handcuffs, Into Vending Machine.
Move Vending Machine To Player.
Receive Star.
Finish Game.

Cry.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
I just hope they fix the controls so we don't have to use the stylus to move. Even though it didn't piss me off it's just way too cumbersome of a control scheme.

also if we're allowed to have adjective-noun pairings then I suggest someone write in "Mecha-Cthulhu"

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
I'll get this, only if they fix the god-awful movement system and get rid of the level performance screen at the end of each level. Oh, and better levels would be a plus that aren't solvable with lasso-pegasus-dynamite.