SDCC 2014: Godzilla 2 Confirmed, Will Feature Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah

BlameTheWizards

Jun 1, 2009
SDCC 2014: Godzilla 2 Confirmed, Will Feature Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah

With the tagline "Let Them Fight," expect the sequel to be even more of a kaiju throwdown.

After the new Godzilla took in <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134583-FRIDAY-BOX-OFFICE-Godzilla-is-King>almost $39 million in its opening weekend earlier this summer, the chances of us seeing another entry in the rebooted monster series was pretty strong. Today, at the Legendary Pictures panel at San Diego Comic-Con, it was confirmed that a sequel is currently in the works, with Gareth Edwards returning to direct.

The panel presented a brief clip, featuring Godzilla roaring over San Francisco Bay, with the tag line "Let Them Fight" appearing at the end of a reel of archival-style footage. Confirmed to appear alongside the King of the Monsters are fellow kaiju Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah.

According to a post by Entertainment Weekly , Edwards said he would be turning his attention to the sequel after he wraps up work on his Star Wars spin-off film.

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/sdcc2014]

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Yep, perfectly fine with this. King Ghidora is one of my all time favorites, will be awesome watching him tear up shit with the other three. I'm sure the more I see of this, the more hyped I'll get.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So the sequel is going to be a tag team battle since isn't Mothra is a goodguy well girl?

Either way I will be looking forward to this as long the film doesb't tease us too much like the first.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Apparently character overkill is not a concept these people are familiar with. Still if they focus more on the monsters and less on the human characters that I didn't care about then it should be good.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
YES! YES! YES! YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!

*runs screaming down the street*

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

GODZILLA'S CINEMA REVIVAL WAS SUCCESSFUL! IT LIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Was the shot of San Francisco in the teaser a brand new one or a repurposing of one of the scenes from the last movie?

I mean I hate the city I live in as much as anyone, but unless the director has the balls to show a takedown of the Googleplex or Facebook HQ so that all the people who can no longer afford to live here have something to cheer for, two movies of centered here is kind of overkill.

Also, the US is a big country. There are plenty of other coastside cities.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Apparently character overkill is not a concept these people are familiar with. Still if they focus more on the monsters and less on the human characters that I didn't care about then it should be good.
It's standard practice these days. Sequel? Add more characters!

I'll chime in with everyone else- This will only work if they give the monsters enough time to duke it out and don't spend so much time on the people.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
*sings*
It's King Ghidora! Fuck yeah!
Coming from the motherfucking future!
King Ghidora! Fuck yeah!
When he's done you'll need some motherfucking sutures!
You know when that guy gets here
the injuries will be severe!

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
canadamus_prime said:
That doesn't mean it's a good idea. The more characters you cram in the less time there is to develop each one. Of course I suppose that doesn't really matter much when talking about giant monsters.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
When I see all 4 of these monsters duke it out in a year or two... I will scream.

So that even the heavens may know of my orgasmic kaju loving wrath.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Inb4 people who've never seen another Gozilla movie in their lives start lecturing others on how to make a Godzilla movie...

Shit, too late.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Well I knew Mothra would be part of the next movie. If you paid attention to when they go back to their house in the quarantine zone, there is a bug cage with the words Mothra on it. Since Mothra wasn't in the first, it was easy to assume that it would appear in the next movie. Look forward to it, faith in humanity slightly restored.

As for those complaining about not seeing much of the monsters, besides all Godzilla movies not featuring the monsters much till the end, the movie would be less effective. Because they didn't show the monsters much, it built up the excitement for when you would see the fights. It also helped build up when Godzilla was first fully shown.

All I have left to say is, with this and Pacific Rim 2, as well as the future of Marvel movies, I look forward to a number of movies in the coming years.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Isn't Mothra essentially a god and Ghidora a space monster sent from the future by moon people... ball's in your court Hollywood, don't pus out on us like you did with the first films second act.

Monsters, not marines.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Super Cyborg said:
Well I knew Mothra would be part of the next movie. If you paid attention to when they go back to their house in the quarantine zone, there is a bug cage with the words Mothra on it. Since Mothra wasn't in the first, it was easy to assume that it would appear in the next movie. Look forward to it, faith in humanity slightly restored.

As for those complaining about not seeing much of the monsters, besides all Godzilla movies not featuring the monsters much till the end, the movie would be less effective. Because they didn't show the monsters much, it built up the excitement for when you would see the fights. It also helped build up when Godzilla was first fully shown.

All I have left to say is, with this and Pacific Rim 2, as well as the future of Marvel movies, I look forward to a number of movies in the coming years.
Transformers 5, Starwars ep 7, Power Rangers, Star Trek 3, The Last of Us, Fantastic 4, New X-men film (probably) Mysterious Creatures and where to find them (yes that book about the creatures of Harry Potter universe is getting a film)

Yup, good few years for movies

Edguy

Jan 31, 2011
Did they mean that Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah would all appear in the next film, or just at some point during the franchise?

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
KING GHIDORA??????? FREAKIN' MONSTER ZERO IS IN THE SEQUEL????? *ahem* Well. That's some very good news indeed. *hrrruunnngghhhh*

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
Gennadios said:
Was the shot of San Francisco in the teaser a brand new one or a repurposing of one of the scenes from the last movie?

I mean I hate the city I live in as much as anyone, but unless the director has the balls to show a takedown of the Googleplex or Facebook HQ so that all the people who can no longer afford to live here have something to cheer for, two movies of centered here is kind of overkill.

Also, the US is a big country. There are plenty of other coastside cities.
Shoot. Heard that. Fixin' to move soon myself. Been here my entire life. Can no longer afford it. Very sad.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
canadamus_prime said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
canadamus_prime said:
That doesn't mean it's a good idea. The more characters you cram in the less time there is to develop each one. Of course I suppose that doesn't really matter much when talking about giant monsters.
Yeah, I wouldn't say Godzilla had NO character in the last movie (what little we got to see), but I wouldn't say we'd really be losing out by adding in more monsters.

They aren't without characters of their own, but it's not like we're expecting Ghidorah's three heads to debate the ethics of war with Rodan, Mothra, and Godzilla before they start wrecking the place.

<.< Though, I'd kind of like to see that.....

Also, this:
Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers!