Season Two Game of Thrones Casting Details Emerge

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Season Two Game of Thrones Casting Details Emerge

See what Stannis Baratheon, Davos Seaworth and Melisandre will look like in HBO's adaptation.

HBO picked up Game of Thrones for a new season after the first episode aired this Spring. Following the plot of George R. R. Martin's second book in the series, A Clash of Kings, the new season will see the introduction of many characters from the court of Stannis Baratheon, one of Robert's younger brothers vying for the Iron Throne. Stannis has with him a smuggler turned noble, Davos Seaworth, and a Maester helping him rule, but all eyes will likely be glued to the Red Priestess Melisandre and her portentous ceremonies.

Stannis will be played by Brit Stephen Dillane, best known in America for playing Thomas Jefferson in the John Adams miniseries. Carice van Houten, a Dutch stage and film actor, will play Melisandre, and judging by her headshot she definitely looks the part.

[gallery=395]

Ser Davos Seaworth, the Onion Knight, is a fan-favorite, but I never pegged him as old as Liam Cunningham looks. The Irishman has more than a bit of grey in his beard but I always imagined Davos as more of the swashbuckling type - not quite Jack Sparrow, but not as distinguished as Cunnigham either.

As for Maester Cressen, he will be played Oliver Ford Davies and he fits the bill as an old British actor playing one of the chained ones from the Citadel in Oldtown.

Coupled with the announcement of model Gwendoline Christie playing Brienne the Maid of Tarth and season two is shaping up to continue the excellence of HBO's Game of Thrones whose first season garnered 14 Emmy nominations including Best Drama [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111646-Game-of-Thrones-Nominated-for-Best-Drama-Emmy].

And if the first few chapters of the recently released Dance with Dragons is any indication, this show is just gonna get better and better.

Source: Winter is Coming [http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/07/stannis-and-melisandre-cast/]

Thanks for the tip, [user]pluizig[/user]

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
I actually thought they'd introduce some more famous folks...

...considering they lost most of their star power with Ned Stark's death

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Their casting decisions really put me at ease with regards to the second season. Just solid decisions all around. Okay, no one really exciting so far, but that´s fine, I prefer the drama to happen on-screen anyway.

And I think Cunningham works rather well. I always imagined Davos to be the seasoned, ruggedly aged, slightly tired type. But I guess ultimately every reader has his/her own version of the Onion Knight anyway.
Just glad they went with the one I had in my head ;)

Wertornion

Aug 29, 2010
I think that the casting of Carice van Houten is really great. She is a good actress and I didn't expect it. But it will be great.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I always imagined Mellisandre as being 'exotic' for some reason, but whatever, as long as the red witch got her act together, I will be a happy lion cub.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Carice van Houten just gained a very ardent fan. Also, the portrayals of Stannis and the Onion Knight are spot-on.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Wait, Carice Van Houten?
Dutchies! Awesome!
Also, great match for the guy who plays Stannis, although Liam Cunningham looks like a perfect match for how Stannis is gonna look later.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
The man who plays Davos seems a bit old for my mental image of him and a bit pale for someone who has lived most of their life at sea.

Stannis should be a bit more imposing when he's wearing full armor and has his hair dyed black.

Melisandre, well the red is the most important part of her, though I would have went with someone with a little narrower face.

What do I care though? It's a good thing to make into a show and the interactions and story are far more important than my mental image of the characters.

LittleShe-Bear

Mar 23, 2011
I think Liam Cunningham will be just fine, age-wise. He's described as having grey in his beard and remember, this is a dude who has seven kids, four of whom are adults, old enough to fight in the battle of the Blackwater. He's no spring chicken.

Skyy High

Dec 6, 2009
Slangeveld said:
Shouldn't it be called Clash of Kings? o.0 Or Song of Ice and Fire Season 2
They probably want to stick with one name for all of the seasons, and "Game of Thrones" is probably more resonant with a larger audience than "Song of Ice and Fire". It also tells you from the start that the series is largely about political intrigue, which it is.

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
I've been avoiding all news of this show like the plague, because I can't get it, and it hurts too much to see.

But this, I HAD TO KNOW! AND NOW IT HURTS AGAIN!

ARGH!

Emurlahn

Jan 13, 2010
Mr Thin said:
I've been avoiding all news of this show like the plague, because I can't get it, and it hurts too much to see.

But this, I HAD TO KNOW! AND NOW IT HURTS AGAIN!

ARGH!
Solution= watch on internet, buy on dvd/blue-ray when available, do not feel guilty.

I'm so looking forwards to this second season.
I'm glad I'm going to be on a boarding-school next year, that will keep my mind occupied while waiting.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Artemis923 said:
Ne1butme said:
Artemis923 said:
Still no Jaqen H'gar...THE FUCK.

>.<
Didn't we see Jaqen in the cart in the last episode?
No. We saw some d00sh in a hood because they haven't cast him yet.
We saw Biter (guy with teeth), a normal looking person, and the guy under the hood. Normal looking guy still had a nose, so unless they are changing that aspect, he's not Rorge.

Therefore, i think normal looking guy was Jaqen and the guy in the hood was Rorge. But you could be right. Until they specifically tell us who played whom, we can just guess.

ash12181987

Nov 9, 2010
Honestly, I really pictured someone like Cunningham for Seaworth this whole time... that makes me very very happy.

Mr_Jellyfish

Jan 11, 2011
Liam Cunningham seems like a good choice to me, I always imagined Davos older, he had a lot of grown up sons and he was pretty grizzled

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
It's great to see Carice van Houten breaking through internationally, huzzah for Dutchies! Dutch girls really have a 'thing', a spark and charisma that sets them apart from the rest.

But what really matters of course is that she's going to honour the part. I can't judge about that yet, as I haven't read the books yet, but I always love seeing a Dutch face break through abroad.