Seatbelt on, cigarettes out.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
Steps need to be taken to make smoking illegal in all public areas. I don't need to breath that shit in.

Nobody has the right to slowly poison me because they are addicted to some drug. Do it at home.

Sougo

Mar 20, 2010
Kaytastrophe said:
They already have the first law in effect in Ontario Canada, you are not allowed to smoke in your car with any under the age of 16-18 (i think) in your vehicle. We have yet to ban smoking outright yet. I myself am personally indifferent. The thing I wonder is, if you make it illegal to smoke in your car if there are kids what about smoking in a small apartment building, is that not dangerous? Is there a size of house that is safe for smoking in? I don't know I grew up with a chain smoking dad who smoked in the car and I turned out fine.
Dunno about you but the apartment I live in is stuffed with smoke detectors, so smoking indoors is impossible .... all indoor places should have smoke detectors so that it is impossible to smoke indoors.

Needless to say, since this is an apartment building, fiddling with any of the smoke detectors is illegal, and either way, who in their right mind would.

EDIT: sorry forgot to mention: Being exposed to smoke for a few years probably wouldn't do enough harm to be noticeable, but if you have been inhaling smoke for several years it is doubtful that your lungs are as healthy as they can be. The problem with smoking and lung disease is that the diseases are so insidious that by the time you do actually develop symptoms, its usually too late to do anything about it.

Limecake

May 18, 2011
smoking shouldn't be made completely illegal, that's silly tobacco is a huge monetary gain for the Canadian government I mean how else are we going to pay for free health care?

but an outright ban on cigarettes wouldn't and couldn't happen overnight, I'd be willing to bet penny's to peso's that if such a ban were to be implemented it would take YEARS to work itself out.

I'm a considerate smoker not lighting up when around kids or people with health conditions are near. so why should a smoker like me be punished because parent's can't wait to have a smoke?

but that law about smoking in your car with kids has been in Canada for a little bit now, makes sense to me since kids are extremely vulnerable to second hand smoke.

TornadoFive

Mar 9, 2011
In theory, I'm all for a ban on smoking. I'm asthmatic, so yeah, I'm probably slightly biased too, but there are zero positive effects and a whole host of negatives.

But banning it outright, wouldn't work. I like the progress that's been made over the years, raising the minimum age, banning it in buildings, etc. If they were to ban it in all public places, indoor and out, and ban it around children, I'd be happy to let it go at that. That way, if people really want to kill themselves, they're not harming anyone but themselves.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
HentMas said:
Cyanin said:
Also, to specify, I'm talking about tobacco and nicotine. This isn't related to marijuana or smoking anything else. So Escapists, what do you think about that?
I think that little piece right there is hypocritical in many levels
I think the OP was just trying to avoid the arguments about decriminalising marijuana and keep the thread specifically on the topic of banning cigarettes.

OT: I hate smoking, I think that anyone who stated smoking with the knowledge of the damage it would do to them is fucking bonkers.

I'm not going to hop on a soap box and have a go at people in their 40's who grew up in a time when smoking was said to be good for you, but if you're 16 and smoke you are, in a word, stupid.

I smoked half a cigarette once, I won't lie. It wasn't fun, it had no positives and the only thing that they offer is sating a desire, which really isn't much of a trade off for your health if you can avoid them which stops the development of a desire.

In Australia it's illegal to smoke in plenty of places or within a certain distance of the entrances to places, you can't smoke within like 5 metres of the entrance to airports, train stations, anywhere that serves food, shopping centres etc.
There's no such thing as "smoking area" at restaurants either.

I think these laws are good, smoking is still perfectly legal, but you can't do it inside of buildings or near entrances either.

That being said, I fucking hate people who sit in designated smoking areas and then complain about smoke. That's fucking rude.

Veldie said:
Yes ban it please hell bring it to the US I cant stand that shit when people do it makes me ill and is so fucking inconsiderate fucking ask before lighting up blowing in the face and hurting everyone who chooses not to want that shitty habbit
Yeah, those nuns need to keep their soiled head wear away from me. EDIT: Fuck, that's incorrect too. Oh well. My bad joke is still fun.

BlueFishie

Jan 4, 2010
Indifferent, personally. Buuut I will say that smoking gets no sympathy from me. I despise being around cigarette smoke, and luckily no one in my general vicinity does smoke.

Ytinasni

Apr 27, 2011
Veldie said:
Yes ban it please hell bring it to the US I cant stand that shit when people do it makes me ill and is so fucking inconsiderate fucking ask before lighting up blowing in the face and hurting everyone who chooses not to want that shitty habbit

I'd be willing to bet that instead of politely asking someone to put their cigarette out after they light up because it bothers your nose you either
A) scoff and give them a nasty look or
B) bite their heads off in a suitably inappropriate fashion

I'm not opposed to preventing smoking in a car with kids at the very least in winter when you can't have the windows down cause its COLD. Although it's not exactly something enforceable and falls under the same category as seatbelts and cellphones for me: a cash grab, you can't get a ticket unless you got pulled over for doing something wrong anyway (speeding, swerving about like a drunk etc etc) so they figure might aswell tack as many tertiary tickets as possible onto it to get more money.

That said I am a smoker and if asked politely I will either mover further away from someone to allow the smoke to disperse or simply put it out and smoke it later.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Monkfish Acc. said:
It is fucking hilarious that we have to put laws in place to make people do the polite thing and not smoke around non-smokers.
That's just a fucking given, you know? Go outside, or to the smoking section. If you are with a non-smoker, ask if they are cool with it. If there are kids about, fucking move. Don't blow in anyone's face, and don't leave the butts just fucking lying around, still half-lit. Basically, be fucking considerate

But banning outright is just dumb. So dumb I would actually like to see them try.
That's not fucking happening.
Can not agree more.
Pathetic really that such a law is thought to be needed.
Or actually needed.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
well smoking in a car is basically hotboxing except nobody gets high, just cancer eventually. i cant really say 'no smoking' because i'm pro-weed and that would make me a bit hypocritical (similar thing, different plant) but smoking in a car should be illegal. the driver could start coughing and then there could be a crash.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
I wouldn't mind an outright ban. I'm not passionate about the issue, but from my standpoint its annoying habit that is addictive and deadly with no benefits. The problem with a "just not in public places" law is that smokers will still bother me in not public places. I can't tell you how many parties I've been to that my asthmatic friends have had to leave because of smokers. Hell, even some of my non-asthmatic friends have problems with cigarette smoke... they get headaches from it. I've thrown parties where a smoker will go outside and it'll waft in through the windows and give my friends headaches to the point of having to go home.

The way I see it, they should start a law that bans the use and sale of tobacco to anyone born after the year 1993. That way, the people currently addicted can keep smoking without complaint and eventually smoking will be phased out. I'm sure the tobacco companies wouldn't be happy with that though XD

Ytinasni

Apr 27, 2011
TrilbyWill said:
well smoking in a car is basically hotboxing except nobody gets high, just cancer eventually. i cant really say 'no smoking' because i'm pro-weed and that would make me a bit hypocritical (similar thing, different plant) but smoking in a car should be illegal. the driver could start coughing and then there could be a crash.
That's only if the windows are up, hell even as a smoker I hate the way a car fills up with tobacco smoke (weed smoke smells and tastes better imo) so when I'm driving I have my windows down anyways.

And as for the cancer statement everyone is making about second hand smoke, according to the state of california using a microwave on microwave safe plastic can give you cancer if done regularly over a considerable period of time, being exposed to UV radiation (better known as NATRUAL SUNLIGHT) is known to cause cancer over long periods of time.

Really the last thing (and I thought this even before I started smoking last year) you should be worried about is cancer from second hand smoke, the only thing I was worried about is how annoying it is to breathe in that smoke especially when that little trail right from the tip drifts into your eyes (and this one still bugs me dammit) it can be really annoying.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
FaceFaceFace said:
TheXRatedDodo said:
Prohibiting things does not help anyone.
Smoking out a car with your children in it is probably enough of a deterrent to stop them from smoking, and if it isn't, maybe it'll make them respectful enough to not do the same thing.

And as for an outright ban on smoking, fuck that. We should all have the right to put whatever we want into our bodies, even if it harms us. Because guess what, if I want to full my lungs with tar, that's my goddamn choice.
Unfortunately, secondhand smoke fills other people's lungs with tar (and that end of the cigarette doesn't even have a filter like the smoker's end does), and that certainly should not be your choice.
You got any sources on that?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
As someone who smoked for roughly 15 years and has since quit This seems bad. However my position is based in the fact that I typically support freedom. I do not see it being right to tell someone what they are allowed to do within their own property with their own property.

It baffles me why people want their governments to regulate every little aspect of their existence. It also baffles me how people feel compelled to ***** and moan at someone else exerting their freedoms

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Ytinasni said:
TrilbyWill said:
That's only if the windows are up, hell even as a smoker I hate the way a car fills up with tobacco smoke (weed smoke smells and tastes better imo) so when I'm driving I have my windows down anyways.

And as for the cancer statement everyone is making about second hand smoke, according to the state of california using a microwave on microwave safe plastic can give you cancer if done regularly over a considerable period of time, being exposed to UV radiation (better known as NATRUAL SUNLIGHT) is known to cause cancer over long periods of time.

Really the last thing (and I thought this even before I started smoking last year) you should be worried about is cancer from second hand smoke, the only thing I was worried about is how annoying it is to breathe in that smoke especially when that little trail right from the tip drifts into your eyes (and this one still bugs me dammit) it can be really annoying.
i was just using that as an example of how you dont get the benefits of hotboxing, just the negatives. and not many people would open a window if it was cold, and theres still the chance the smoke could go towards the driver and get them coughing. smoking anything, unless you use a bong etc, is bad when there are a bunch of other people nearby.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
Cyanin said:
So, I've just heard a very interesting proposal from the (Irish) Minister for Health on the radio. One of two things to implement.

1) A ban on smoking in cars with children under 16 or...

2) An outright, catch-all ban on smoking.

And I thought this could be an interesting topic to think about. I personally hate smoking, but I can tolerate it. Usually I wouldn't mind it, but it's the idea of forcing people to be around you while you smoke which is proven to be...well fatal long term.

The figure they gave on the radio was that, in Ireland alone, 16 people die every day due to the effects of smoking. Both my parents smoke and very recent memories of being simply trapped in a car make me completely agree with the first one, but I'm not too keen on crushing civil liberty and banning it altogether.

That said, there are people who think that allowing the first would only be a stepping stone to the second.

My opinion on smoking is that if it was discovered today, it would be banned without a thought.

Also, to specify, I'm talking about tobacco and nicotine. This isn't related to marijuana or smoking anything else. So Escapists, what do you think about that?
just yesterday i saw a lady doing 60mph in a 40mph zone. she had her hands OFF THE WHEEL, and was lighting a cigarette with her head down and eyes off the road. yeah smoking in cars is lot a good thing, just like texting, talking on the phone, and any other distracting activity behind the wheel.

Kaytastrophe

Jun 7, 2010
Sougo said:
Kaytastrophe said:
They already have the first law in effect in Ontario Canada, you are not allowed to smoke in your car with any under the age of 16-18 (i think) in your vehicle. We have yet to ban smoking outright yet. I myself am personally indifferent. The thing I wonder is, if you make it illegal to smoke in your car if there are kids what about smoking in a small apartment building, is that not dangerous? Is there a size of house that is safe for smoking in? I don't know I grew up with a chain smoking dad who smoked in the car and I turned out fine.
Dunno about you but the apartment I live in is stuffed with smoke detectors, so smoking indoors is impossible .... all indoor places should have smoke detectors so that it is impossible to smoke indoors.

Needless to say, since this is an apartment building, fiddling with any of the smoke detectors is illegal, and either way, who in their right mind would.

EDIT: sorry forgot to mention: Being exposed to smoke for a few years probably wouldn't do enough harm to be noticeable, but if you have been inhaling smoke for several years it is doubtful that your lungs are as healthy as they can be. The problem with smoking and lung disease is that the diseases are so insidious that by the time you do actually develop symptoms, its usually too late to do anything about it.
I was kind of just giving an example with the apartment scenario, replace it with a small house or whatever. Essentially I am saying if you ban smoking in cars because of second hand smoke then what is to stop governments from banning smoking in your house. And if your going to ban smoking almost everywhere because of its health risks why not just ban smoking. All I am saying is that government regulations regarding smoking is a case of the right hand not talking to the left. On the one hand they try and limit where people smoke and such because of health risks but at the same time they would never in reality ban the production and selling of cigarettes. I am completely indifferent about the issue as it no longer effects me but I am torn because I hate government involvement in people's personal lives though I am aware of the danger of second hand smoke.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
StBishop said:
I hate smoking, I think that anyone who stated smoking with the knowledge of the damage it would do to them is fucking bonkers.

I'm not going to hop on a soap box and have a go at people in their 40's who grew up in a time when smoking was said to be good for you, but if you're 16 and smoke you are, in a word, stupid.

I smoked half a cigarette once, I won't lie. It wasn't fun, it had no positives and the only thing that they offer is sating a desire, which really isn't much of a trade off for your health if you can avoid them which stops the development of a desire.
Where do you get off, sitting around calling an entire group of people stupid, when you haven't even taken the time to try and understand their decision? Hell, you clearly don't even understand what the affects of nicotine are.

I'm not going to try and advocate smoking here, but who the hell are you to call me stupid because I'm 21 and smoke? Have you ever considered that I might've taken the time to think about it, and that I might actually have some reasons for doing it? Could it be the fact that after a lifetime dealing with allergies (which no medicine I had ever come across helped to fix) I finally found myself free of the need to have something with which to wipe snot off my face all the time? I usually only smoke one cigarette a day, and that little roll of tobacco is infinitely more affective than any allergy medication I've ever come across.

Maybe it's the mood boost I get on my way to work. You know where I have the misfortune to work? Walmart! You want to work at Walmart?!? I didn't fucking think so. The attitude that you take into that store when you go in can change the rest of your day. If I go in happy, feeling pumped and ready to tackle whatever the day throws at me, that can last long after the nicotine has worn off because I have good customer relations and they keep me upbeat. But if I go in there feeling like shit to start with, I'm going to have bad customer relations, and our customers (most of whom are miserable assholes to start with) are just going to make my day worse as a result. Getting that nic buzz on the way to work makes a big difference between me being happy at a job most people hate, or joining everyone else in the mire of human misery that is Walmart employment.

What about days off, where I go over to my friend's house. We have a couple beers, and sit around on his balcony, having a smoke, talking, enjoying life. You know how good it is to sit out there, talking with my friend while that potent combination of alcohol and nicotine soothes my soul? There's more to life than just surviving, if all you're doing is surviving it then you're already dead. I want to enjoy it, and sitting out on that balcony, one of my favorite places in the world, nicotine helps me enjoy my life.

So who the fuck are you to judge me and call me stupid? Do I know that I trade away minutes of my life every time I light up? How the hell could I not? I've been hearing it since I was a kid. And I choose to anyways, not because I'm stupid, but because I thought long and hard and decided that to me the trade was worth it. That doesn't mean that you have to smoke, but maybe next time before you open your mouth and go off on a group of people you don't even know, you should take a moment and ask yourself if you actually know what you're talking about?

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
StBishop said:
Its just an issue that has come up in my country several times and its very relevant to my case because the political party that haves being banning smoking in several places is also fighting to legalize marijuana... but I wont go into detail because we are talking about something else here

I agree with everything you stated, its common sense, here the "no smoking" policy started only 3 years ago (or less), and its spreading like wildfire in the country, I don´t particularly enjoy people looking at me in disgust while I am smoking in my smoking area, I mean we are already several yards away from public transit but I find it unbearable that some people still have the nerve to get close and be angry at us.

smoking in a restaurant? only if its completely separated by a wall and in an open space, smoking in designated areas? I find it OK as long as there are enough areas for me to smoke (which there are) in the airport? there shouldn´t even be "smoking zones" in there, its an international entrance and I would hate people coming to my country and being nauseated by the smell, bars and other places like that?? well... I am reluctant because drinking and smoking often go hand in hand, but I wouldn´t mind if there were non smoker areas like the restaurant, hell I would even go to one with my non smoking friends... but its extremely hard to find a non smoking bar here in Mexico, I think someone should try and make one... but as almost everyone of drinking age smokes, the customers would not stay for long.

and if I am at a family gathering or a private party I always ask if its "OK" for me to light up my smoke, its common courtesy, and I am glad I do that because my best friend girlfriend (the girlfriend of my best friend, did I worded that correctly?) could die if she breaths that crap (something about a violent allergic reaction) I never smoke when I am in a party or any closed place with her.

Ytinasni

Apr 27, 2011
TrilbyWill said:
-snip-
i was just using that as an example of how you dont get the benefits of hotboxing, just the negatives. and not many people would open a window if it was cold, and theres still the chance the smoke could go towards the driver and get them coughing. smoking anything, unless you use a bong etc, is bad when there are a bunch of other people nearby.
I'd say smoking a bong is more distracting, but I do get your point about the windows thing, but then, if it's too cold to crack a window for the 5-ish mins it takes to smoke a cig in the car then I'm fine with waiting to smoke