Second Hand Wii U Comes With Previous Owner's Games

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Second Hand Wii U Comes With Previous Owner's Games

Apparently binding games to the Wii U console wasn't a hot idea. Who knew?

Expect prices for second hand Wii U systems to spike, as a NeoGAF user has revealed that the previous owner's games were all still available on his old console. The quirk allowed NeoGAF poster DSN2K to download Trine 2 and Nano Assault Neo for free. "Advice to those buying a second hand Wii U", DSN2K says [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506656], "check all the games on the Store ... you might be in for some 'free' games!"

This would seem to be a feature, not a bug. Nintendo's own support page points out that, at the moment, users cannot transfer accounts. "A Nintendo Network Account can only be used on the console where it was created," says Nintendo Support, adding that "currently, the Wii U supports up to 12 individual Nintendo Network ID's per console." The data is bound to the console, not the account, in other words. Moreover every account on that console has access to the data.

So even though the previous owner had wiped his account, he hadn't - because he couldn't - wipe access to the games he'd installed on that console. Each was still available for download, which DSN2K promptly did.

The previous owner won't be able to regain access to his Nintendo Network ID, should he change his mind and want back in, since the only way to do that at the moment is to send the console itself to Nintendo of America. It would seem that people wanting to sell their console second hand are giving away more than they bargained for, when they part with the device.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-04-second-hand-wii-u-consoles-give-access-to-old-users-games-report]

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
So if I'm understanding this correctly... if i replace my console, all of my games are now gone because they are tied to the console not an 'account'?

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Mouse_Crouse said:
So if I'm understanding this correctly... if i replace my console, all of my games are now gone because they are tied to the console not an 'account'?
Yes. That would be correct.

I'm really not sure whether Nintendo intended to whack used console sales, used games, or itself here - even though they're probably going to catch most of the backlash.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Mouse_Crouse said:
Correct, because the account is bound to the console.

Well, downloadable titles anyway, as the articles says.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
Kargathia said:
Yes. That would be correct.

I'm really not sure whether Nintendo intended to whack used console sales, used games, or itself here - even though they're probably going to catch most of the backlash.
Well this seem to only be related to digital downloaded games (like Xbox live arcade games). But I for one would be pretty cross to lose 200+ dollars of arcade games because I bought a new console. Things go wrong with consoles and they have to be replaced from time to time, just feels like a terrible idea.

Suave Charlie

Pleasant Bastard
Sep 23, 2009
How was this ever going to be a good idea?

So my understanding is:
Console gets bricked, lose access to all your stuff.
Have 2 consoles in the house, can only play your purchased stuff on one.
Right?

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
But all games you downloaded from the Nintendo Store on the Wii were also on that console right?

My question here is, who get's rid of a console after it's been 1 month out on the market?

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Guffe said:
But all games you downloaded from the Nintendo Store on the Wii were also on that console right?

My question here is, who get's rid of a console after it's been 1 month out on the market?
Presumably somebody who decided they didn't like the controller or the general feel of the console and decided to sell it while there was still a high demand for it.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
So does this mean you get all the ex-users friends and messages etc? Because if so Nintendo have created the least safe and family friendly console of them all

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Well this is a pretty strong incentive.. to never buy anything from the Wii-U's online store. My console dies, needs to be sold, etc, all my digital content is gone? Yeah, I'll stick to buying physical copies of what I can and ignoring what I can't.

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
How is it possible in 2012 for a game company to be so completely inept when it comes to console design? Seriously, I can't get my head around it. Considering how badly Nintendo has handled the online account part of earlier hardware, I DON'T think this is any kind of move against the second hand market. This was just Nintendo's designers being generally dumb and ignorant. Has to be.

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
I have one of these Wiis, only better for some reason... The "free" games in the download list vary for me from month to month. I'll give a nickel to anyone that can tell me why.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
Sylveria said:
Well this is a pretty strong incentive.. to never buy anything from the Wii-U's online store. My console dies, needs to be sold, etc, all my digital content is gone? Yeah, I'll stick to buying physical copies of what I can and ignoring what I can't.
It was a good enough reason for me to not buy any downloadable games on the original Wii either. It was annoying enough that save files for half my games were locked to the console and couldn't be transferred without going through Nintendo. They didn't understand how to not make it a pain in the ass for the user back then, and they apparently still don't now, because this doesn't sound any different/better.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Interesting. People are saying that this has been possible on every Nintendo device since the 3DS, including the Wii.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Great. I thought they did it by an online account, not just by console. Why would I ever think they'd be trying to make things convenient? I really hope they change this soon because this is just annoying.

saleem

Oct 29, 2009
Oh enough with the posturing & fake indignation, if your console bricks do the intelligent thing and call up customer service and get them to change the associated tag in their database to the new one. Its really pathetic that all you guys can do is speculate negatively.

As for giving away free stuff with a console your selling well what does it matter? You obviously dont want them any more anyway. Alternatively if your really that stingy call up customer service and ask them to unlink the games.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
That blew up on them. Not smart at all. That is what you get for being all kinds of backwards with your shitty network design.

Detroit

Dec 22, 2012
Contemplate your Wii U purchase I'd say. I'm getting one later anyway. I hope this won't be a major lingering issue.