Second Hand Wii U Comes With Previous Owner's Games

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Sylveria said:
Well this is a pretty strong incentive.. to never buy anything from the Wii-U's online store. My console dies, needs to be sold, etc, all my digital content is gone? Yeah, I'll stick to buying physical copies of what I can and ignoring what I can't.
This is my problem with it too. I hope this is going to change because there's always a risk that electronic appliances will break. At the moment they aren't able to fix this themselves and that makes me worry about purchasing digital content from them. I am a big fan of digital distribution and will pick that over physical purchases more often than not even if the price is the same or just a little higher. Again, I hope they are able to fix this so I can get going on downloading digital games.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Anyone who has ever complained about digital sales preventing resale of games should be happy about this. The rest of us, the normal people, should be fed up.

P.S. Thanks

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
saleem said:
Oh enough with the posturing & fake indignation, if your console bricks do the intelligent thing and call up customer service and get them to change the associated tag in their database to the new one. Its really pathetic that all you guys can do is speculate negatively.

As for giving away free stuff with a console your selling well what does it matter? You obviously dont want them any more anyway. Alternatively if your really that stingy call up customer service and ask them to unlink the games.
It shouldn't be this difficult games should be linked to the account like they are on steam, XBL and I assume PSN although I have never bought anything from there. You should never have to contact customer support for something this simple.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
getoffmycloud said:
saleem said:
Oh enough with the posturing & fake indignation, if your console bricks do the intelligent thing and call up customer service and get them to change the associated tag in their database to the new one. Its really pathetic that all you guys can do is speculate negatively.

As for giving away free stuff with a console your selling well what does it matter? You obviously dont want them any more anyway. Alternatively if your really that stingy call up customer service and ask them to unlink the games.
It shouldn't be this difficult games should be linked to the account like they are on steam, XBL and I assume PSN although I have never bought anything from there. You should never have to contact customer support for something this simple.
You should never have to contact customer support when your console bricks? Thats an odd statement to make.

Detroit

Dec 22, 2012
A Smooth Criminal said:
Really, take what you hear about the Wii U on the Escapist with a grain of salt, I'm not saying this article is lying, however EVERYTHING I've heard about the Wii U up until now from this website has been false.
I say, this was all a clever ruse? Henceforth I shall be more attentive. Really though I read that you were able to get around it (it's in this thread). All I'm saying is give peace a chance be wary and that stuff like this shouldn't be this big an issue.

Detroit

Dec 22, 2012
A Smooth Criminal said:
Detroit said:
A Smooth Criminal said:
Really, take what you hear about the Wii U on the Escapist with a grain of salt, I'm not saying this article is lying, however EVERYTHING I've heard about the Wii U up until now from this website has been false.
I say, this was all a clever ruse? Henceforth I shall be more attentive. Really though I read that you were able to get around it (it's in this thread). All I'm saying is give peace a chance be wary and that stuff like this shouldn't be this big an issue.
Considering that the majority of the Escapist news writers have made it clear that they simply don't like Nintendo consoles, and just LOVE to repeat the same false shit in every article, like the bricking update, I wouldn't be surprised if they are just trying to spread hate for Nintendo.

I'm not even kidding.. everything they say about the Wii U is generally utter bullshit.
Really? That's seems unusual. Anyway I'm not getting one until MH3U comes out. Btw, where's your avatar from?

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
shintakie10 said:
getoffmycloud said:
saleem said:

You should never have to contact customer support when your console bricks? Thats an odd statement to make.
Sorry that's not what I meant I meant that you shouldn't have to contact customer support to transfer downloaded games onto another console.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Guffe said:
My question here is, who get's rid of a console after it's been 1 month out on the market?
Somebody who wants it for one game and one game only which he will play the everloving crap out of before he sells it on to somebody who'll be able to make more use of it.

That's the only way I can see me being able to sort out Bayonetta 2.

Juliamon

Bus with me, Cthulhu!
Jul 28, 2010
When I bought my Wii some years back (used, because it was the only one they had at the nearest Gamestop and SSBB was due to come out in a couple months) it may have been missing Wii Sports but it DID have Super Mario 64 and Bomberman '93 on it, along with 800 points. So this news hardly surprises me. I'm not sure why it's suddenly a big deal...

'Record Stops.'

Sep 6, 2010
Umm...guys...this feature was implemented as far back as the Wii... You're throwing a hissy fit, over a problem that's been over five years in the making. Are you either misinformed, or have you never owned a Nintendo console past the 'Cube? I've owned at least three Wii's, and I own two now, one that can play disks, the other that can play Digital games.

I ringed up a support group, and my answer basically was," You can't transfer digital games to a new account."

So...in the end...what's your point here? This is old news, with an even older wore down argument.

And I'm glad at least a few people understand where I'm coming from.

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
Umm...guys...this feature was implemented as far back as the Wii... You're throwing a hissy fit, over a problem that's been over five years in the making. Are you either misinformed, or have you never owned a Nintendo console past the 'Cube? I've owned at least three Wii's, and I own two now, one that can play disks, the other that can play Digital games.

I ringed up a support group, and my answer basically was," You can't transfer digital games to a new account."

So...in the end...what's your point here? This is old news, with an even older wore down argument.

And I'm glad at least a few people understand where I'm coming from.
Feature??? You call this BS a feature? The point isn't "hey, look at this new craziness from nintendo!". It's "that joke of a game company still don't have a clue how to handle user accounts!". If it was a problem on the Wii then it should NOT happen in the next generation of consoles. That's just nothing but a joke.

Electromagnet

Jul 31, 2012
My Wii bricked a few years ago. I sent it into Nintendo, and got it back with all my downloaded games ready to be redownloaded. I assume the WiiU works out the same way. As for selling the system with games already on it: take advantage of that and raise the price. You can do that unless you're planning on selling it to Gamestop or some other store, but that would have ripped you off anyway.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
A Smooth Criminal said:
getoffmycloud said:
shintakie10 said:
getoffmycloud said:
saleem said:

Sorry that's not what I meant I meant that you shouldn't have to contact customer support to transfer downloaded games onto another console.
Why would you sell a fully working console to buy the same fully working console?
What if you live with someone who owns a WiiU then you move out and buy one for yourself or you could break one when it is out of warranty and have to buy another one you could even want to play a game on a friends WiiU but cant download your account and titles onto their console.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Well, there ya go, Sony. If you're looking into doing something similar, just watch Nintendo and its customers handle this for a while and you decide if you wanna shoot yourself in the foot too.

Sure, there might have being able to cut the middle mane (Gamestop) but there will be people who will still sell the console without knowing/thinking about formatting it. And even if they do, few will realize there's still a way to get those games back on that console. So...good news for Craigslist and eBay.

But seriously, the more I hear about the WiiU's blunders, the more I imagine a bunch of corporate guys yelling at each other "JUST RELEASE THE CONSOLE NOW!" "IT'S NOT READY BUT WHO CARES?" "SELL, SELL, SELL!"
I know the console has its sweet moments but it also has a LOT of flaws.