Second Silent Hill Movie Finds a Director in the Fog

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Second Silent Hill Movie Finds a Director in the Fog

After several false starts, the Silent Hill movie sequel is finally moving forward.

British film maker Michael J. Bassett [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1068186/] has signed on to write and direct the sequel to the 2006 Silent Hill [http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hill-Blu-ray-Radha-Mitchell/dp/B000GCFO0S/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1288819065&sr=1-2 ] movie. Bassett's previous work includes writing and directorial duties on World War I horror Deathwatch, and last year's Solomon Kane.

The movie's working title is Silent Hill 2: Revelation 3D, which will hopefully change before it gets to theaters. The movie will follow 18-year-old Heather Mason, who, along with her father, has spent her whole life fleeing from something that she doesn't understand. After her father goes missing, she learns that she isn't who she thought she was, a revelation that threatens to trap her in Silent Hill forever. If that sounds familiar, it's because it's basically the plot of Silent Hill 3, with a few tweaks here and there.

In a recent blog post [http://michaeljbassett.wordpress.com/2010/10/13/update-oct-13th/], Bassett talked about a new script he was working on that he described as "Constantine meets The Expendables." Whether this was a reference to his Silent Hill script isn't clear. It's certainly doesn't sound like a Silent Hill script, but we don't really know how closely Bassett is planning to stick to the source material. The news that the movie will be shot in 3D is a little troubling, but it's much too early to make assumptions about how the effect will be used.

Christophe Gans, who directed the first Silent Hill movie, announced that Sony Pictures officially ordered a sequel in 2006. The project was "stalled [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102752-Silent-Hill-2-Film-Stalled-Over-Directors-Legal-Woes]" when the man originally hired to direct it, Roger Avary, was jailed for a year after being found guilty of vehicular manslaughter. Producer Don Carmody said that he had a rough outline for the movie, and it would appear that Sony has elected to take that outline and hand it over to someone else, rather than wait for Avary's release. It seems unlikely that Silent Hill 2 will come out before 2012 at the earliest, as it would appear that the production is starting from scratch.

Source: Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/11/03/solomon-kanes-michael-bassett-to-write-and-direct-new-silent-hill-movie]

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
THERE WAS A SOLOMON KANE MOVIE?!?! WHY HAS NO ONE EVER TOLD ME THIS!?

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
Thank FUCK they aren't touching James and his story. If they did, I would actually gather an army and raise his production office to the ground.

I can safely say I have no further worries. This movie can suck all it wants, I have no attachments to Harry or Heather Mason.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I have 3 questions.

WHy are they making another one?

Why is James Sunderland not the main character?

How will Pyramid Head be fan serviced into this one?

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
If this is like the first it's another mixed blessing. Starts out with a strong premise, by the end it's really speeding at terminal velocity towards the ground.

"Constantine meets The Expendables."
-This does not bode well.

I wonder if they'll throw Sean Bean into the mix again.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Last paragraph, third sentence. You said "thew movie." Gotta love typos.

On-topic, I haven't seen anything this new director has made, so I can't really make a judgement as to whether or not this will likely be any good. The "filmed in 3D" bit isn't particularly inspiring, though.

Arella18

Apr 22, 2009
The first movie was pretty good...and I fucking love silent hill...this is the only game I am a fangirl about I know the monsters, the symbolism, the storylines, I've read the comics, the books, hell pretty much anything.

The third game wasn't that bad but the story really wasn't freaky...it had the doom 3 scare scenario where its a quick startle...the movie sounds like the premise the game should have had so I'm not too worried.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
StarStruckStrumpets said:
Thank FUCK they aren't touching James and his story. If they did, I would actually gather an army and raise his production office to the ground.

I can safely say I have no further worries. This movie can suck all it wants, I have no attachments to Harry or Heather Mason.
Come on, the first movie was that bad. For a movie based on a game I mean. You had an interesting plot, creepy effects, and a completely batshit (not in the good way) cult. Granted, the story wasn't following the game verbatim, but at least it wasn't as awful as it could have been.
That being said, I share your gratitude as far as not featuring James goes. Some things are never meant to happen, and a Silent Hill 2 (the game) movie is one of them.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Arsen said:
Be thankful. It was fucking horrendous. Death Watch on the other hand, was absolutely awesome.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Arsen said:
aparently it's really good, everyone i've spoken to that has seen it recommends it. Deathwatch was really good too. looking forward to it

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
The movie will follow 18-year-old Heather Mason, who, along with her father, has spent her whole life fleeing from something that she doesn't understand. After her father goes missing, she learns that she isn't who she thought she was, a revelation that threatens to trap her in Silent Hill forever. If that sounds familiar, it's because it's basically the plot of Silent Hill 3, with a few tweaks here and there.

In a recent blog post [http://michaeljbassett.wordpress.com/2010/10/13/update-oct-13th/], Bassett talked about a new script he was working on that he described as "Constantine meets The Expendables." Whether this was a reference to his Silent Hill script isn't clear. It's certainly doesn't sound like a Silent Hill script, but we don't really know how closely Bassett is planning to stick to the source material.
So I assume Heather discovers she's actually Keanu Reeves and needs to gather a bunch of badly aging action stars to help her kill Satan? That sounds like it'd be more entertaining than the first movie at least so I guess it could be worse.

Seriously though, I have to assume he's referring to a completely different script because the idea of anything based on Silent Hill being in any way similar to The Expendables doesn't make the least bit of sense. It also makes me die a little inside.

GrimBon

Nov 3, 2010
Can't say this will end well. 'Constantine meets The Expendables'? Fail.

Hollywood is certainly running out of ideas, I wouldn't mind if they could follow the damned story. It's like they're trying to piss off the fans. I understand moving from an interactive medium to a non-interactive one is difficult - and if it doesn't work, drop it. We'll thank you for it.

Shameless

Jun 28, 2010
yay the second movie is about the 3rd game in the series *sigh* my least favorite game of the classic games (by classic I mean Silent Hill 1 through 4).

Why do Silent Hill need to be a movie ?

Xkaliber

Apr 30, 2009
This... is going to be... well, terrible is an understatement.

The director has made 4 bad films and a very sub-par, sludge-like grey TV series, that no one watched.

Let me sum up his latest effort; Solomon Kane, for the unaware:

Utter trash. With special effects from the 90's era of CGI badness, a cast of gurning plebeians and some of the worst pacing/plotting/scripting I've seen in recent years. I had to think for a while of what film it reminded me of, then, it came to me - Van Helsing.

If you liked that equally terrible turnip faced freak of a film, then by all means, start hyping yourself for the offal he's about to create. If not, avoid like the plague.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Uh...ouch?

I love Silent Hill, especially the second, but I'm not too sure about the whole Constantin+Expendables=Good Movie.

As long as the movie's good in its own right I don't care much, but mixing some Silent Hill with that whole deal seems like a recipe for disaster.

Eitherway, I'll leep my mind open.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
thethingthatlurks said:
StarStruckStrumpets said:

Come on, the first movie was that bad. For a movie based on a game I mean. You had an interesting plot, creepy effects, and a completely batshit (not in the good way) cult. Granted, the story wasn't following the game verbatim, but at least it wasn't as awful as it could have been.
That being said, I share your gratitude as far as not featuring James goes. Some things are never meant to happen, and a Silent Hill 2 (the game) movie is one of them.
I watched the first movie, and it wasn't terrible. As a fan of the games, I can't help but get pissed off at them totally running wild with the story and shoe-horning Pyramid Head in there so fans of the game actually had a reason to watch the movie.

I'll still watch this movie, but my concerns were that they'd totally butcher Silent Hill 2's story, characters and setting. They aren't, so I have something to be thankful for.