Secret Convergence Wars: Making Sense of DC's Latest Crossover

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Secret Convergence Wars: Making Sense of DC's Latest Crossover

Convergence may be a sign that DC Comics is reconsidering The New 52... or that it's borrowing inspiration from Marvel.

Read Full Article

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"But in the meantime, comics fans can be happy to know that the New 52 is being put to bed, and the classic superheroes are coming home. At least for a little while."

Go-Go-Gadet-Make-Permanent-Ray!!!! :)

Totally happy they are throwing New 52 under the bus it never should have crawled out from under in the first place.
Is there room under that bus for Ultimate Marvel too, I wonder? ;)

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Kenjitsuka said:
"But in the meantime, comics fans can be happy to know that the New 52 is being put to bed, and the classic superheroes are coming home. At least for a little while."

Totally happy they are throwing New 52 under the bus it never should have crawled out from under in the first place.
At least Ultimate Marvel is content with, for the most part, staying in its little Ultimate Ghetto.
New 52 interrupted everything, gave us a bunch of shit storylines, three good ones, and, if this is too be believed, be utterly pointless in the end.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
As nice as it is to see the old canon... the fact that it's only coming for a short time is kinda depressing. Guess we'll have to enjoy it while it lasts...

I for one am happy to have a break from the grim, joyless mess of the New52... plus a look at some other notable DC mutiverses.

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
Well I hope I don't get yelled at for my opinion but I enjoy the New 52 a lot. I have read a lot of the series and the only books I really don't like are some of the Batman stories that focus on really stupid villains. I know there were some stupid decisions like messing with Flash's history but other changes like Superman's relationship with Lois Lane is fine in my opinion because it is still clear he has feelings for her and I want to see them get together. Once they are together the stories are less interesting because there is no tension.

It would be funny if the convergence was caused because Superman and Lois Lane were about to get back together and there is some prophecy that states the universe will destroy itself every time they get together.

Also they may change the backstory but all those stories and characters they have been writing are not just going to cease to exist because of this convergence event. It is not like DC fired all the writers three years ago and are bringing them back.

Adaephon

Jun 15, 2009
Oh hosanna, hosanna in the highest does this mean we might have Booster Gold finally police the time stream back to the way it was supposed to be? Because that stupid loose plot thread drove me insane (WHO IS RIP'S MOTHER DC? TELL US!)

But in all seriousness, there are people that (for some reason) like new 52. So DC should probably keep it running, but just make it the DC ultimate universe (since they completely abandoned the All-Star idea after one amazing series and one awful series) and keep running the main universe back the way it was. Wouldn't that make just about everyone happy?

But is anyone else getting a "New Coke" kind of feeling from this whole debacle?

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
The New 52 would have been fine if they had not messed with the back story's so much. The more DC messes with their comics the less I am willing to buy. I probably will not buy any of the Convergence one's till after the dust settles and we see the new mess they have created. But this is a good thing for the fan boys, time to put your money where your mouth is and buy, buy in hopes the DC cares about making a profit.

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Akiraking said:
Well I hope I don't get yelled at for my opinion but I enjoy the New 52 a lot. I have read a lot of the series and the only books I really don't like are some of the Batman stories that focus on really stupid villains. I know there were some stupid decisions like messing with Flash's history but other changes like Superman's relationship with Lois Lane is fine in my opinion because it is still clear he has feelings for her and I want to see them get together. Once they are together the stories are less interesting because there is no tension.
Hey, I actually like the New 52 in spite of it all. It's done a lot of interesting, experimental things, and I don't think making it disappear would be the best solution. But I do think it works better as a parallel universe, like Marvel's Ultimate line, as others here have said.

That being said, I have never understood the idea that Superman is less interesting if he's in a relationship with Lois Lane. A good writer should be able to make any relationship engaging beyond the "unrequited tension" stage. It also emphasizes that Superman has a human side, and isn't some emotionally distant alien stranger.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
I have mixed feelings about the New 52, some of it has been good, some of it.. not so much. I've been reading DC since the 80s and I would be very happy if they brought that continuity back. I like the idea of the New 52 as an Ultimate universe style spin off, but I don't think it can work, it hasn't really for Marvel and too many major characters (Green Lantern and Batman) weren't actually changed that much.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
I generally love the New 52, although I don't like what they did with the Wildstorm characters. New 52 actually got me back into comics after serious burnout....I was a hardcore DC fan from around 1984 through 1998, but DC started to jump the shark a lot after that point....as much as I loved Morrison's work on Doom Patrol I blamed him for much of what I call the "batshit confusing year" of DC. Every time I poked my nose in to the post 2000 DC it was unrecognizable....the characters and plots just no longer felt like the universe I knew before.

Anyway, if they take a REAL tip from Marvel Now and figure out how to reframe classic pre-New 52 characters in a way that makes it easy for people like to return, I'll probably be fine with it. Also, if they somehow don't abandon the amazing stuff they've already done with New 52 (Justice League, Batman, Earth 2, Suicide Squad, Batgirl, etc.) and find a way to make a home for it all.....that would be ideal. Probably not going to happen, though.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Objectable said:
Kenjitsuka said:

At least Ultimate Marvel is content with, for the most part, staying in its little Ultimate Ghetto.
New 52 interrupted everything, gave us a bunch of shit storylines, three good ones, and, if this is too be believed, be utterly pointless in the end.
It's luckily true that Ultimate (ugh) Marvel doesn't stain the good stuff, indeed.
Let's just hope New 52 can soon be a thing that's only in the rear view mirror!
Or maybe Supes will be kind enough to rewind time and make it never exist... :D