Security Analyst Explains Why We Love Lulzsec

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
I don't love them at all. I'm fairly certain they're a bunch of assholes who are breaking the law because they think it's funny. It's not even justice or revenge at this point, they're just randomly striking at people because they feel like it.

So no, there's no love from me whatsoever.

Also, I'm fairly certain posting up all the information they hacked from Sony online hurts the customers. Why? BECAUSE EVERYONE CAN SEE IT! Yes, it's much more secure now LulzSec, thank you.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
MattAn24 said:
So? What gives them ANY right to go around attacking websites? "For the lulz" is a fucking retarded excuse. Try again. They're not teaching anything, unless they're teaching "People are dicks, DON'T BE LIKE US."

Do we really need to bring up the rape/robbery comparison again?

Blame the fucking attacker, NOT the victim. If they weren't immature dicks, this wouldn't be a fucking problem! They're certainly not "teaching anyone lessons", they're criminals. They're releasing PRIVATE INFORMATION to the public. The fact that they're even in ANY private information storage is beyond criminal activity.

Either grow the fuck up or go to Hell, 'LulzSec'..
They don't, but does "not having the right" ever stop anyone?

I'll be first in line to gloat if any of these places get hacked again by someone who wants actual value from them.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Sebenko said:
MattAn24 said:
So? What gives them ANY right to go around attacking websites? "For the lulz" is a fucking retarded excuse. Try again. They're not teaching anything, unless they're teaching "People are dicks, DON'T BE LIKE US."

Do we really need to bring up the rape/robbery comparison again?

Blame the fucking attacker, NOT the victim. If they weren't immature dicks, this wouldn't be a fucking problem! They're certainly not "teaching anyone lessons", they're criminals. They're releasing PRIVATE INFORMATION to the public. The fact that they're even in ANY private information storage is beyond criminal activity.

Either grow the fuck up or go to Hell, 'LulzSec'..
They don't, but does "not having the right" ever stop anyone?

I'll be first in line to gloat if any of these places get hacked again by someone who wants actual value from them.
This. I don't know why people think that "being right" and "being a dick" are mutually exclusive. Sometimes, the only way to get people to shut up and listen to what you have to say is by being the biggest dick.

----

Alar said:
I don't love them at all. I'm fairly certain they're a bunch of assholes who are breaking the law because they think it's funny. It's not even justice or revenge at this point, they're just randomly striking at people because they feel like it.

So no, there's no love from me whatsoever.

Also, I'm fairly certain posting up all the information they hacked from Sony online hurts the customers. Why? BECAUSE EVERYONE CAN SEE IT! Yes, it's much more secure now LulzSec, thank you.
You'd rather someone have your information and not know about it, right? Because that couldn't possibly be substantially worse than being forewarned about the complete lack of security, yes? I know *I* don't ever want to be warned before something bad happens, so I can prepare for it.

How about the fact that people mentioned PSN's insecurity for ages before the actual hacks, but no one listened? As stated above, sometimes you don't have a choice but to be a dick to get people to pay attention to you.

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
MetalGenocide said:
I wouldn't be surprised if soon news starts spreading, about the "global war on cyber-terrorism", and how most countries in the world will be enforcing legislations, to "protect us" from the dangers of the internet......

...by restricting our access and controlling what we do.
Probably pretty bad that I've been watching V for Vendetta lately than.

Companies are incompetent, and always look for the highest profit margin. I'd rather have a lower profit for a company that actually cares about it's customers.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Spygon said:
-Samurai- said:
See, the thing about security is; If people didn't do illegal things and break into places they aren't supposed to be in, to take things that aren't theirs, we wouldn't need security.
Also if we lived in a world where nothing bad ever happened and everybody lived for a long age perfect life we would not need doctors,lawyers,fire department,police,armed forces,fences,banks,alarms etc.

Wake up we do not live in that world deal with it bad things will happen.Sosomeone pointing them out to people who should be protecting things is a good thing.
Crime happening isn't an excuse for people to commit crimes.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Now that people are starting to see in the right direction. Yes I'm happy Lulz is doing what they are. Because the state of security in this industry and many others is laughable and has been for many years. The fact that they are being forced to react now is a good thing, because there ARE worse things that can happen.

The only question is how long can they keep getting away with poking all these companies in the eyes before something is actually done about it.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
Even an 'air gap' in the network can be hacked with a 'carbon based' exploit.

[or no system is 100% secure if it has any human interaction.]

Social engineering if by far the most effective form of hacking (look at HGBarry).

RvLeshrac said:
Then they'll continue to lose valuable corporate data, lose consumer confidence, lose customers, and lose money.
It is not that these companies lack the expertese, they lack the motivation to prioritise data security any higher.

Cars would not be as safe as they are today without the cost associated with cleaning up after a traffic accident.

Data security will not improve until there is a clear loss, visible to even upper management.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
TechNoFear said:
Even an 'air gap' in the network can be hacked with a 'carbon based' exploit.

[or no system is 100% secure if it has any human interaction.]

Social engineering if by far the most effective form of hacking (look at HGBarry).

RvLeshrac said:
Then they'll continue to lose valuable corporate data, lose consumer confidence, lose customers, and lose money.
It is not that these companies lack the expertese, they lack the motivation to prioritise data security any higher.

Cars would not be as safe as they are today without the cost associated with cleaning up after a traffic accident.

Data security will not improve until there is a clear loss, visible to even upper management.
All of the above. They spend peanuts, they attract brains that match. Anyone worth more rapidly moves on, and doesn't actually contribute anything worthwhile while there.

Of course, the problem is that these companies keep getting a slap on the wrist for failure to adequately safeguard information, with the OMGHACKERS explanation seemingly absolving them of all responsibility.

Much like the issues of illegal immigration and securities fraud, data security won't improve until we start tossing three-letter managers in PMITA prison.

Mercurial Maniac

Apr 25, 2011
Isn't there a possibility that LulzSec intentionally released consumer data make sure that companies will have a whole bunch of angry customers demanding for improved security?

Lulzsec isn't attacking a house with a bad alarm; it's waltzing into a bank with poor security, making photocopies of the money inside its shit-quality vault, then waltzing out to paste said money out to the street, while sending a message to the managers of the bank to get their acts together.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
So if I understand this correctly security people are happy about LulzSec pointing out painfully large holes in company cyber security?

You know, those holes they'll be paid to close.

Why am I not surprised?

GestaltEsper

Oct 11, 2009
Lightslei said:
MetalGenocide said:
I wouldn't be surprised if soon news starts spreading, about the "global war on cyber-terrorism", and how most countries in the world will be enforcing legislations, to "protect us" from the dangers of the internet......

...by restricting our access and controlling what we do.
Probably pretty bad that I've been watching V for Vendetta lately than.

Companies are incompetent, and always look for the highest profit margin. I'd rather have a lower profit for a company that actually cares about it's customers.
No offense but of course you would. You're the customer.