See-Through Sci-Fi Keyboards Come to Life

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
See-Through Sci-Fi Keyboards Come to Life

The sexy, see-through sci-fi keyboards of the future are now a real [and really expensive] thing.

Want to be the cool? Want to impress your friends? Want to make sweet music with the ladies? Then what you need is this gorgeous, ultra-futuristic glass computer keyboard that's guaranteed to make your wheezing, three-year-old Acer look like something straight out of CSI: Miami [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-3-Collectors-Xbox-360/dp/B0050SYZS0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326474744&sr=8-1], if that's more your thing.

The important thing is that this is a real thing. The "Multi-touch Keyboard" began life as a concept on Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1116966310/multi-touch-keyboard-and-mouse] but has now transitioned to the prototype phase and was being shown off at the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show. It uses an infrared LED to project a light onto the glass and an infrared camera to pick up scattered light particles created by "key presses," which is how it recognizes where finger meets glass. There's no tactile feedback, of course - it's just a hunk of glass - but the keys will be backlit and the nature of the design means that custom keyboard overlays should be a snap.

But really, who cares about how it works? This thing is awesome because it looks like something Joker would poke at while he whips the Normandy around the galaxy and cracks wise with Tricia Helfer. This isn't the keyboard of the future, kids, this is the keyboard from the future.

First orders of the Multi-touch Keyboard are expected to be available in roughly three months. Alas, it turns out that bringing wildly-impractical sci-fi technology to life is an expensive endeavor, and the initial release models of this bad boy are expected to clock in around $500-$600. It's hot stuff, yes, but I'm afraid that's just a little out of my range.

Source: Dvice [http://dvice.com/archives/2012/01/gorgeous-ir-gla.php]

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Eww, expensive, but cool. If it weren't for the fact that I hate the lack of feed back associated with anything touch, I would be all over this.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
"no tactile response"

Yeah, I'll pass, regardless of how cool this is, if I can't feel the keys when I press them then I'll spend more time watching the keyboard trying to type correctly than actually paying attention to the shit I want to do.

AmzRigh

What's the frequency, Wishbone?
Dec 9, 2010
Definitely has style, but I'm also on the "tactile feedback" boat. Plus, as cool and expensive keyboards go, I'd still put the Optimus Maximus [http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/maximus/] (~$2000) and anything from Datamancer [http://www.datamancer.net/keyboards/keyboards.htm] ($800+) ahead of it.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I have to admit, I´d love to try that thing out. Looks quite cool, too.
But the other guys here are making a good point: if you cant feel buttons under your fingers, it might feel...weird. Or something like that. Unless you´re used to stuff like that.
Meaning, i could also get used to using that keyboard.
So, yeah. Too bad it`s quite expensive.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Want to be the cool?
As much as I'd love to be the cool, lack of tactile feedback is the biggest pain in the ass for me. I've tried typing on touch screens, it's not fun. And that's essentially all this keyboard is, an awesome touch screen. If it were cheaper I'd probably buy it for the sake of it but for $600... Maybe in a year or two.

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
Why would I want to see the Dorito crumbs that reside beneath my keyboard?

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
As impressive as it seems, I think the no tactile feedback will be it's undoing, or more specifically, the lack of any kind of "suspension" or "give" in the keys will lead to sore fingers.

Really, how many times you someone tap a solid surface before it starts to damage your fingers?

Tapping on glass may no seem like much, on it's own the odd tap never hurt anybody, but like Chinese water torture, when you multiply a harmless repeated action by the number of keystokes you'll make in a year, it'll really add up to some serious callouses.

Hell, I just tried tapping my fingers on my desk the 700+ times it took me to write this post and I could feel some numbing before I was halfway through.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Nice gimmick.

Really, this was made for the sake of it being made. Does it being see-through have any additional benefits other than making it difficult to see the keys?....Wait, that is a drawback.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
You mean, I can have my own little Federation standard interface panel?!?

If I have $600... well... I do have $600 actually, but I'd rather spend it on a holiday than that, bloody cool though.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Jamash said:
Hell, I just tried tapping my fingers on my desk the 700+ times it took me to write this post and I could feel some numbing before I was halfway through.
WOW Jamash, that's some dedication to add weight to your internet comment, I salute you!

Fawxy said:
AmzRigh said:
Definitely has style, but I'm also on the "tactile feedback" boat. Plus, as cool and expensive keyboards go, I'd still put the Optimus Maximus [http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/maximus/] (~$2000) and anything from Datamancer [http://www.datamancer.net/keyboards/keyboards.htm] ($800+) ahead of it.
While the individual displays on the Maximus are quite awesome, I don't think it has nearly enough going for it to justify the $2000 price tag.
I heard that the OLED keys are black and white to save on cash too, and that the Optimus was meant to be even pricier, ouch.

I knew a guy that had the Optimus, he swears by it and funnily enough his custom rig was called "Megatron", complete coincidence though because he built the rig then saw the Optimus Maximus Keyboard, he didn't even click the names together until I pointed it out.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Well, I can see where this is going. Take it away, Brent Spiner!

Ahhh, post-modernism...

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009

So in essence it is an experience kind of like this, but with an extra 700 added to the price tag?

Yeah, pass.

ShaneGunWolf

Jul 6, 2011
I WANT TO BE TEH COOLZ.

Yeah, this looks awesome, but it'd be a LONG while before I'm actually able to afford it. :p

Dendio

Mar 24, 2010
Our cell phone recognize touch already. this is overpriced. U pay for the mold. Touch typing is old news. In fact I touch typed this post on my cell

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
At home I'm using a beat-up old IBM keyboard (though I imagine it's just a rebadge) from my first Windows 95 PC. Excellent tactile feedback, and sturdy as hell. It certainly loses out in the sexy category, but I'd rather something work for fifteen years than look good. I'll pass, even if the price comes down.

(And when it finally dies, I've got another one from my first Windows 98 PC. Same make and model, just a few years younger, and barely used. I'm set for keyboards for a very long time.)

Props for being a Kickstarter success story, though.