Seeds of The Dragon

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Seeds of The Dragon

MovieBob takes a look at some of the 1980's action flicks that may have had a hand in influencing Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

Read Full Article

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
The plot to go back and change Ceaser gives me a really good idea. Middle Eastern Terrorists (sorry to offend anyone directly) go back in time to prevent the stand of the 300 thereby allowing Greece to fall to Persia thus erasing all of Western civilization.

Sounds like a fun movie to me.

Jan 12, 2012
Ickabod said:
The plot to go back and change Ceaser gives me a really good idea. Middle Eastern Terrorists (sorry to offend anyone directly) go back in time to prevent the stand of the 300 thereby allowing Greece to fall to Persia thus erasing all of Western civilization.

That sounds great if it could be done right. You'd need a great comedy writer to do it justice, though; the movie would have to not take itself seriously while still being less ridiculous and jinjoistic than, say, Frank Miller's Holy Terror. I wonder what Mel Brooks is up to these days...

Ninjariffic

VP of Winning
Jan 24, 2008
Cyborg was so awesome. I watched that several times as a kid. I loved the flashback with the well and the barbed wire.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
God, I remember watching Mandroid, Invisible: The Chronicles of Benjamin Knight, and many other Full Moon Entertainment movies growing up. I got into the Puppet Master series and then began to dive into the many flavors of b-movie junk food Charles Band's company had to offer. I got out of it after Puppet Master 6 didn't live up to expectations. BTW, I didn't know that Band and Jack "The King" Kirby worked together. Thanks, MovieBob.

Makes me wish my local Mom & Pop video store didn't close down. These are something I'd like to watch. Especially Hell Comes to Frog Town. Is Netflix or any other media provider offering these movies online?

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
Ickabod said:

Here's how it could work if I was in control:
- Make the terrorists the good guys (no really)
- Play it straightly, no satire or deep subtext
- Maybe include some explicit gay sex scenes, just for the heck of it

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
"Zen Filmmaking" oddball Donald F. Jackson
But of a nitpick but Jackson wasn't a zen filmaker (at least not when he made Hell Comes to Frogtown. Scott Shaw was thegfuy who invented zen fimmaking and he only became involved later with the sequels.

Still good list of movies plenty fresh meat to track down.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Someday, I will be tasked with rescuing (and impregnating) a group of women abducted by amphibian mutants in a future where fertility is a rare commodity.

Someday.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Bob, thank you for this wonderful little trip down cinematic camp nostalgia. They all sound magnificently demented and goofy.
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Ickabod said:

That sounds great if it could be done right. You'd need a great comedy writer to do it justice, though; the movie would have to not take itself seriously while still being less ridiculous and jinjoistic than, say, Frank Miller's Holy Terror. I wonder what Mel Brooks is up to these days...
I like your idea over theSteamSupported's. How do we get your thing off the ground?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Good guys always win...even in the 80's.

For a second there I thought you were going to miss Mega Force.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
What about the post apocalypse classics like: Steel Dawn, Mad Max or Never too young to die?
Heck, Terminator is strongly referenced in the soundtrack, and I have only played the demo.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I wasn't born when any of those movies were made -.-
You're getting old Bob ;D

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
"Cyborg love, just like Romeo and Juliet" - Jack Pallance's best line in Cyborg 2.

I would like someone to do the same as Blood Dragon but with 70s/80s Shaw Brothers movies, might have to be me. I have no idea how to do it and no money, let's go!

Another movie reference for Blood Dragon is that the soundtrack for it was done by Dragon Sound from the movie Miami Connection
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWFvr7mVVBM

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
I have Metalstorm on DVD. Complete with Richard Moll as the leader of the Troll Warriors, Hurok.

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
what's the point of this article? Blood Dragon's references were pretty direct with regards to cinema -- namely Terminator, Robocop, Predator, and Aliens.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Cyborg 2 has 2 of my favorite actors from the early 90's, and The Eliminators has Tasha Yar.

Sold.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Really loved Blood Dragon. I wonder if it was a one-time thing? Because if you think about it there's a lot of stuff in 80's movies they haven't touched upon.