Sega Announces Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection

N-Sef

Jun 21, 2008
*crosses fingers for a PlayStation 2 release*

The list is really darn nice, especially the fact that it contains Streets of Rage and Phantasy Star on a single disk. No Strider? C'mon Sega, the people want Strider!

studioGamer

Nov 11, 2008
wow!!! my all time favorites are all here ->> shinning force, golden axe, fantasy stars, streets of rage!!! you get my cash sega!... umm.. maybe not... i'll go dig my closet for my megadrive and these cartridges :p (yep.. its called megadrive here)

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
With free emulators and oh-so-hackable Xbox 1's for like $50 (hell, even an old Pentium 3 PC would probably emulate these games well), I seriously have to wonder who still buys these compilation discs. I mean, I think every gamer that's been around for more than 5 years already owns 90% of these games in some form or another.

Sega's just trying to make a quick buck, all to fund the next crappy Sonic game. Once again, they have earned my ire.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
I have no idea what any of those games are - I came into gaming in the 5th generation (with the N64, I didn't cross that way). As such, I have no reason to think this would be any good.
What?! You're a new gamer? Oh.... well.... I'm sorry. ;D

Looks like a pretty good list, I wanna know what the unlockables are gonna be as well though and let's hope they don't retail it at the price of a full game.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Damnit... Now I have to get either a 360 or a PS3 for those games.
Onmi said:
In other news WHERE THE FUCK IS MY SONIC CD YOU MOTHER FUCKERS!
I actually have that one for the Sega CDX.

Nov 28, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
Eagle Est1986 said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
I have no idea what any of those games are - I came into gaming in the 5th generation (with the N64, I didn't cross that way). As such, I have no reason to think this would be any good.
What?! You're a new gamer? Oh.... well.... I'm sorry. ;D

Looks like a pretty good list, I wanna know what the unlockables are gonna be as well though and let's hope they don't retail it at the price of a full game.
When doi you have to enter gaming to be considered old school? I think 3 generations as a passionte gaming officially moves me out of "new".
Usually, the border is between SNES and N64.

nimrandir

Oct 30, 2008
Virgil said:
I will definitely be picking this up. Shining Force, Phantasy Star, Golden Axe, Sonic, Streets of Rage - that's exactly what I'd list as my Genesis top picks.

Mstrswrd said:
They still havn't put Phantasy Star onto a compilation disc, so I'm going to have II, III, and IV, and not be able to play them.
If you really want to play Phantasy Star, I suggest the GBA Phantasy Star Collection [http://www.amazon.com/Phantasy-Star-Collection-Game-Boy-Advance/dp/B00007B77H]. I wouldn't hold off just for the first one though - the later ones are much better. I'm very happy about Phantasy Star IV showing up though.
You can also take a look at the PS2 Sega Genesis Collection [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Genesis_Collection], which includes the fourth game in the Phantasy Star series.

The inclusion of Streets of Rage and Shining Force 2 is a draw, but I will most likely pass on this.

Edit: They might have had me if Shadowrun had made the cut.

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
sunami88 said:
Sony's just trying to make a quick buck, all to fund the next crappy Sonic game. Once again, they have earned my ire.
Freudian slip much?
*Hangs head in shame*... *Edits original post*... I don't even know how to cover for that... Ummm...

FORUM GLITCH!! ...Dang.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Indigo_Dingo said:
When doi you have to enter gaming to be considered old school? I think 3 generations as a passionte gaming officially moves me out of "new".
Haha, well, newer then. Still, I had you down as at least a Genesis, if not earlier. 64 is still quite long by today's standards. I was just surprised, is all.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Onmi said:
In other news WHERE THE FUCK IS MY SONIC CD YOU MOTHER FUCKERS!
On Sonic Gems Collection.

Except it's got the shitty US version soundtrack, whereas the original PAL versions had the awesome Japanese version soundtrack. (The original soundtrack has each of the zone soundtracks being remixes of the "main" version thematically appropriate to the Past/Bad Future/Good Future, the US version replaces about half of the tracks at random with completely different music.)