Sega Courts Hispanic Audience With Daisy Fuentes Pilates

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sega Courts Hispanic Audience With Daisy Fuentes Pilates

Daisy Fuentes Pilates [http://www.sega.com/] in both English and Spanish.

Although nobody realized it, it turns out that the videogame industry is a roiling hotbed of racial discrimination. Not only do videogame characters raised an uproar [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93555-Videogame-Characters-Lack-Diversity-Study-Finds] by suggesting that African-Americans do not actually carry the special gene which renders them immune to zombification at the hands of the rampaging undead.

Fortunately, Sega has stepped up to show us the way to a more ethnically-accommodating future with the launch of a brand-new advertising campaign for Daisy Fuentes Pilates, the most anticipated pilates game featuring Daisy Fuentes to ever hit the market, that will employ not just one but two languages.

"While we've done little bits and pieces [of Hispanic-targeted marketing] over the years, this is our strongest effort to date," said Rick Naylor, senior director of marketing at Sega. "The packaging is completely bilingual in English and Spanish, and the advertising has all been in [both]."

That's right, both. The publicity campaign will include ads in Hispanic magazines like Latina, People en Español and the Spanish-language version of Cosmopolitan, on various Hispanic websites and "a public relations and event market effort that targets Hispanic media."

While Wii [https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/ca.html].

"We would like to see how well it resonates and how effective our reach is to the Hispanic market," Naylor continued. "There are certain types of [games] that lend themselves better to the market. This will be a good bellwether for what we plan to do there... If this type of product and marketing is successful, it's something you'll see more from us in the future."

Thank you, Sega. Your bold vision of equality for all is an inspiration. Daisy Fuentes Pilates comes out tomorrow.

Source: MediaPost [http://www.mediapost.com/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=110922]

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I'd so buy that if I had a Wii. Seriously. I'd buy it over Brawl.
I'm not joking.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
ZOMG! SPANISH?!?!

Sega, you are on par with Martin Luther King Jr., Rosa Parks, and Abraham Lincoln...but with Latinos.

Dele

Oct 25, 2008
I take back all my words about Americans having spine while Europe works their ass off trying to please small minorities.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
I will buy this just for that Daisy woman. I've never heard of her until now and I wish I had.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
[small]waitaminute[/small] waitaminute, SEGA actually thinks they can make a DIFFERENCE??? In RACIAL EQUALITY???

[HEADING=2]HAAA HA HA HA HAA HA HA HA!!![/HEADING]

[small].......no........no..more.............[/small]

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
I will buy it just so I can hear her roll her 'R's. Oh my... I always had such a crush on her. I loved the Wayne's World SNL skit with her. Foxy! Shwing!

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
felt the Bosmer were a little under-represented
Gotta agree here. We need to campaign for more Bosmer in games. Those goddamn Altmer keep taking up all the story leaving the Bosmer to be slapped into side character roles at best and comic relief at worst.

What the hell is Pilates anyway?

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
HardRockSamurai said:
[small]waitaminute[/small] waitaminute, SEGA actually thinks they can make a DIFFERENCE???

[HEADING=2]HAAA HA HA HA HAA HA HA HA!!![/HEADING]

[small].......no........no..more.............[/small]

[small]"Genesis does.."[/small]

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
What happened to the days in which you had a language menu to select from the moment the game started up?

Once I played UFO: Enemy Unknown in Portugese, just for the hell of it. Man, I loved that game. Ethereals die like dogs when you pull out your lançador do dinamitador.

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Aardvark said:
What happened to the days in which you had a language menu to select from the moment the game started up?
Being able to set your language in the console's option screen happened.

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
The tone in this article takes what are significant issues (the lacking diversity study) and a notable advertising campaign (as well as the release of a bilingual game title) and mocks them all thoroughly for no good reason.

Fitness games are doing pretty well right now and it's another market the Wii is addressing. Natal may attract this market as well.

I am offended that you trivialized all of these things instead of reporting them in a more straightforward manner free of mockery. I am Hispanic and to me, this is significant stuff in terms of both media and gaming and I look forward to more game campaigns like this.

Did you mock the Jillian Michaels fitness game and call her out for being a white woman/minor celebrity on TV who stars in/is used to market a game in English?

If not, why the venom here?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Anarien said:
The tone in this article takes what are significant issues (the lacking diversity study) and a notable advertising campaign (as well as the release of a bilingual game title) and mocks them all thoroughly for no good reason.

Fitness games are doing pretty well right now and it's another market the Wii is addressing. Natal may attract this market as well.

I am offended that you trivialized all of these things instead of reporting them in a more straightforward manner free of mockery. I am Hispanic and to me, this is significant stuff in terms of both media and gaming and I look forward to more game campaigns like this.

Did you mock the Jillian Michaels fitness game and call her out for being a white woman/minor celebrity on TV who stars in/is used to market a game in English?

If not, why the venom here?
The point is simply that having game boxes in two languages is nothing new, but Sega is hyping it here to pander to the Hispanic market.

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
The point is simply that having game boxes in two languages is nothing new, but Sega is hyping it here to pander to the Hispanic market.
The tone of the presentation mocks what is actually significant. Console options, instruction booklet warnings and warranties have been in multiple languages for a while, but it is quite new to have the full product from game to ad campaign, to manual fully bilingual. And starring a minority. That's my point, the tone of the article trivializes a few significant things here.

Is it necessarily "pandering" to promote a product partly to a specific market? The game is also marketed in English, so it's not pandering to any market as it isn't like English-speaking non Hispanics aren't being marketed to here.

Does Jillian Michaels' fitness game "pander" to the "white market"? Or can we agree that people of all backgrounds can enjoy both these titles?

Andy Chalk wrote something disrespectful. Perhaps it was an ignorant mistake. It mocked the importance of the recent study showing a lack of diversity and of marketing efforts that are notable. If the intent was to claim that bilingual marketing isn't new, then he could've gone about it in a way that was more sensitive.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Well, Im glad SEGA is helping racial divides...in Exercise tapes. Now what about gaming? What...thats a game? Doesnt look like one. Sure the Wii shelf is full of that (and is my primary anti-Wii reason) but its no game.

mechabrae

Nov 29, 2008
Anarien said:
*trimmed for length*
What confuses me is that anyone can look at this and think that it's a genuine effort on Sega's part to make gaming more inclusive.

It's just a little bit too coincidental that the first game to have bi-lingual marketing is one that just happens to be one featuring a Hispanic woman.

This just seems like a cynical effort to sell more copies of a game by trying to instil a false sense of kinship between the Hispanic community and Ms. Fuertes there.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Anarien said:
Console options, instruction booklet warnings and warranties have been in multiple languages for a while, but it is quite new to have the full product from game to ad campaign, to manual fully bilingual. And starring a minority. That's my point, the tone of the article trivializes a few significant things here.
Unless you count games that are both in English and Japanese, of course. But I do take your point. Thank you for taking the time to explain it more fully.

dodo1331

May 23, 2009
Kiutu said:
Well, Im glad SEGA is helping racial divides...in Exercise tapes. Now what about gaming? What...thats a game? Doesnt look like one. Sure the Wii shelf is full of that (and is my primary anti-Wii reason) but its no game.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm a Latino, and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be buying this game.