Sega Unleashing American Super Soldier

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
unabomberman said:
Along with Superman, he is the U.S's greatest heroic icon and yet he was born an awkward lanky artist who became who he became because of a super cocktail of drugs, and Supes is an illegal alien with forged papers, yet both of them are ridiculously overpowered within their own contexts and have been used to showcase the superiority of their patron nation time and time again.
I'm sorry, are you from the westborough baptist church? Because I've never seen someone take something out of context so unbelievably bad. Steve Rodgers was born a scrawny kid in the great depression, yes, and became Captain America when he signed up for a government program. That "cocktail of drugs" isn't any worse that an Aspirin. That sounds more like the embodiment of the American dream, someone starting with nothing and becoming great.

Superman... I'm pretty sure the papers weren't forged, the government would just have to make him some when a random infant shows up on your lawn with no parents and no past. And he was every bit as American as you are, he grew up in the States, on a farm no less, and was raised as an American child.

I hope to god you're just trolling me, but if you're not, learn something about what you're bashing before you do it.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
Blueruler182 said:
unabomberman said:
Along with Superman, he is the U.S's greatest heroic icon and yet he was born an awkward lanky artist who became who he became because of a super cocktail of drugs, and Supes is an illegal alien with forged papers, yet both of them are ridiculously overpowered within their own contexts and have been used to showcase the superiority of their patron nation time and time again.
I'm sorry, are you from the westborough baptist church? Because I've never seen someone take something out of context so unbelievably bad. Steve Rodgers was born a scrawny kid in the great depression, yes, and became Captain America when he signed up for a government program. That "cocktail of drugs" isn't any worse that an Aspirin. That sounds more like the embodiment of the American dream, someone starting with nothing and becoming great.

Superman... I'm pretty sure the papers weren't forged, the government would just have to make him some when a random infant shows up on your lawn with no parents and no past. And he was every bit as American as you are, he grew up in the States, on a farm no less, and was raised as an American child.

I hope to god you're just trolling me, but if you're not, learn something about what you're bashing before you do it.
You're taking it waaay too seriously. All I'm doing is musing about the odd trappings of american culture. That's it. Not hating.

But I should seriously urge you to remember that by all accounts, drugs are illegal in the U.S., and to my knowledge neither aspirin nor steroids, HGH, nor supersoldier serum have ever been equated with the american dream. Or silly me non american that thought the american dream was all about thriving and becoming something better due to hard work.

And Superman's papers? They were actually forged, as he is the legal son of Ma and Pa Kent and they very well knew that their son was an alien (rocket, remember?).

Again, all countries' societies have odd mythological trappings within their cultures that are contradictory and at times outrightly senseless, no big deal. Just look at the greek gods and all their crazy nonsense. Maybe that gives some spice to things, who knows? I just got reminded of that by seeing ol' StevO brutally socking that poor non-augmented nazi bastard in the videogame for great justice. I thought something similar when watching Arkham asylum.

You go way above the needed flaming you might need to sauce things up by comparing me with the WBC, but no harm done so suit yourself if that makes you feel better. I've got nothing to insult you with, really, and neither do I want to; so this may get old really fast if you keep this up.

PM me and we can go into a discussion about that precise thing, but otherwise you are just inviting massive off-topicness in this thread.

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
unabomberman said:
Blueruler182 said:
unabomberman said:

You're taking it waaay too seriously. All I'm doing is musing about the odd trappings of american culture. That's it. Not hating.

But I should seriously urge you to remember that by all accounts, drugs are illegal in the U.S., and to my knowledge neither aspirin nor steroids, HGH, nor supersoldier serum have ever been equated with the american dream. Or silly me non american that thought the american dream was all about thriving and becoming something better due to hard work.

And Superman's papers? They were actually forged, as he is the legal son of Ma and Pa Kent and they very well knew that their son was an alien (rocket, remember?).

Again, all countries' societies have odd mythological trappings within their cultures that are contradictory and at times outrightly senseless, no big deal. Just look at the greek gods and all their crazy nonsense. Maybe that gives some spice to things, who knows? I just got reminded of that by seeing ol' StevO brutally socking that poor non-augmented nazi bastard in the videogame for great justice. I thought something similar when watching Arkham asylum.

You go way above the needed flaming you might need to sauce things up by comparing me with the WBC, but no harm done so suit yourself if that makes you feel better. I've got nothing to insult you with, really, and neither do I want to; so this may get old really fast if you keep this up.

PM me and we can go into a discussion about that precise thing, but otherwise you are just inviting massive off-topicness in this thread.
I'm not trying to turn this into a flame-fest, and I understand your views on individual cultures' fiction, but, honestly, you're looking at it in the simplest ways.

First off, both characters have accepted the oddities from their past and become stronger symbols because of it. Captain America has worked hard to do the right thing before what his government wants, Civil War being a massive testament to that, and superman has referred to Earth as his adopted planet frequently.

Superman's papers would technically be legal. Finding a baby in your back yard, whether or not there was a crashed ship, I do believe the government would have to give one papers for the child. What are they going to do? Deport him? It's an adopted son from a foreign (planet) country, people do that in the states all the time and papers are provided.

And Captain America, I wasn't associating the drugs with the american dream, I was associating the grander view of his origin. He came from nothing. He was a scrawny little kid who grew up to be the world's top cop. The super soldier serum, which you've definitely over-analyzed by comparing it to illegal drugs, has given him an advantage, but you can hardly say that fighting in the second world war and then constantly fighting to save the planet isn't working hard. Besides, the American dream has always been more someone coming from nothing and becoming something great, hard work hasn't really factored into it. Not for a long long time, anyways.

And, again, not all drugs are illegal in the states. Aspirin is a drug. Sleeping pills are drugs. Flintstones kids medicine are drugs.

And I was doing the comparison to the Westborough Baptist Church because they've seemingly decided that Super Heroes are the new Satan. I'd link the report, but I honestly can't be bothered to look for it.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Autofaux said:
Does anyone know if Captain America votes Republican or Democrat? This Civil War business confused me much.
As the embodiment of a nation Captain was intended to represent all and none simultaneously. I'd guess he'd be apolitical or an independent seeing political squabbling as something he'd rather not engage in and would just shake hands with "the president" regardless of who in past 60 years that was. This is something all golden age heroes have struggled to come to terms with in the modern era, politics and religion just tended to be omitted in those days. You had "good" guys fighting "bad" guys.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
CK76 said:
Autofaux said:
Does anyone know if Captain America votes Republican or Democrat? This Civil War business confused me much.
As the embodiment of a nation Captain was intended to represent all and none simultaneously. I'd guess he'd be apolitical or an independent seeing political squabbling as something he'd rather not engage in and would just shake hands with "the president" regardless of who in past 60 years that was. This is something all golden age heroes have struggled to come to terms with in the modern era, politics and religion just tended to be omitted in those days. You had "good" guys fighting "bad" guys.
That's what he was intended to be, but if you look back to the last 30 years or so the liberal leanings of the writers has definately shaped him into a liberal. IIRC, when they tried replacing him back in the 80's with John Walker (who they wrote as an extreme right conservative) it was a way for Gruenwald to blast the Republican party and Reagan in particular.

Hell, even during Civil War the joke was that Iron Man's Avengers team was COnservative Avengers and Caps were Liberal Avengers-guess which one they showed being more heroic and which ones they wrote as almost villains.