Sega vs Internet

ZRShinigami

Jun 30, 2010
I'm sure this will get to the Escapist news soon enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQdFcf9SE5s&feature=g-subs-f

Your thoughts?

WoW Killer

Mar 3, 2012
Damn, TB sounded pissed off. It'll all backfire on SEGA if they don't get their Rome 2 coverage. I'm almost sure TB's coverage of that game would have been (might still be if it gets sorted) the most viewed on the internet. More than likely he'd have talked it up as well.

I'm guessing a less knowledgeable web-monkey at SEGA was tasked with taking down offending material to clear the search (which as awful as it sounds they are within their rights to do), but said web-monkey went on to flag legitimate material not knowing the full implications of what they were doing. The language barrier wouldn't have helped in this. I can't think of any other way a big company like that (with surely a huge legal department) could send out DMCAs on non-copyrighted material. I'm not so sure the SOS campaign and the twitter exchange was related though. I mean there's nothing particular tying the two together.

Regardless, these companies need to clue themselves up on social media. They gain a lot from having this sort of coverage, and they could gain a lot more if they worked with it rather than against it.

ZRShinigami

Jun 30, 2010
Well, it is in their legal right to remove the videos, as the copyright also covers "public performance". However Sega was always lenient towards such things as it builds a stronger fanbase.

But, if they had the material removed to improve search rankings for their new Shining game, that's a serious red flag. They literally destroyed several YouTube channels for no other reason then having lets-plays for a 15 year old game.

The worst part in taking down non-copyrighted videos is that if it is allowed it could lead to censorship of not only lets-plays but reviews as well.

Hazzard

Jan 25, 2012
Blunderboy said:
Yeah if you could sum up the video that would be great.
Japan Sega (This is just the Japanese part according to TB, I can't confirm or deny that) is taking down anything and everything to do with Shining Force, an RPG series I believe.
This includes people just discussing it in VLog's.

TB and many others are upset about this and TB is boycotting Sega by refusing to do any content on their stuff. This is, at least in my opinion, quite a major thing.

They have even gone to the point of shutting discussions on youtube about Shining Force. TB then talks about why they might be doing this, reasons are:
Sega might be trying to remove evidence of older Shining Force's so people won't see the older ones thinking it is the new one.
or, typical corporate censorship to see if they can get away with it and start a youtube-wide trend of corporate censorship.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I wonder what the legal repercussions are for companies that dmca takedown legit non infringing videos. I wonder if it changes based on the international stage as is the case(this being more relevant to the "fair use" argument rather than just the financial penalty).

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Hazzard said:
Blunderboy said:
Yeah if you could sum up the video that would be great.
Japan Sega (This is just the Japanese part according to TB, I can't confirm or deny that) is taking down anything and everything to do with Shining Force, an RPG series I believe.
This includes people just discussing it in VLog's.

TB and many others are upset about this and TB is boycotting Sega by refusing to do any content on their stuff. This is, at least in my opinion, quite a major thing.

They have even gone to the point of shutting discussions on youtube about Shining Force. TB then talks about why they might be doing this, reasons are:
Sega might be trying to remove evidence of older Shining Force's so people won't see the older ones thinking it is the new one.
or, typical corporate censorship to see if they can get away with it and start a youtube-wide trend of corporate censorship.
Thanks.
But who (or what) is TB?

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
That isn't much of a Boycott, it's risk management. You mention Shining Force, this age old strategy game, your Video might be taken down. if you don't want your Video taken down, you may not want to have any mention of any Content by Sega in there, otherwise you risk Sega getting butthurt over any other decade old IP and taking your Video down because you mentioned "Golvellius" or something.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
"Oh but they have the right", no actually in most of these takedown cases they did not, in some Sega was even breaking the law but obviously no one has the money to go against them.
I hope Google is paying attention to what a horrid automated system they put up, that small content makers can simply be pushed off their service by anyone slightly influential without any grounds at all.

So while Google was out protesting over internet control/abuse they inadvertently made the first working model.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Dear SEGA of Japan,

Fuck right off. I will no longer speak well of you (and for the record, I loved Popful Mail), I will advocate to any fellow gamer I see that your company is to be avoided like Ghanaherpasyphilaids and you have now earned a worse reputation than EA, Activision AND Ubisoft combined in my eyes.

Sincerely,

CCM

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
ZRShinigami said:
I'm sure this will get to the Escapist news soon enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQdFcf9SE5s&feature=g-subs-f

Your thoughts?
Have you heard any updates or has Sega responded? I couldn't find any new info myself.

ZRShinigami

Jun 30, 2010
I couldn't find anything. TB's still boycotting SEGA games so I guess it's still unresolved.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
I don't know which is worse Sega or Google / You Tube for allowing it to happen.

Whatever the outcome it's obvious that this will hurt Sega's pocket in the long run since they are a publisher that makes money from reselling their old games to fans.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
ZRShinigami said:
I couldn't find anything. TB's still boycotting SEGA games so I guess it's still unresolved.
Too bad, I'm interested in hearing Sega's response to what it's doing more than anything else in this matter, but I guess they'll continue to be tight lipped about it.