Sega Won't Rule Out Re-Release of Saturn Classics

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sega Won't Rule Out Re-Release of Saturn Classics

Sega is planning on re-releasing classic Dreamcast games on PSN and XBLA, but older titles from its Saturn system might not be far behind.

Earlier this month, we learned that Sega was planning on bringing some of its most beloved games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101153-ESRB-Confirms-Sonic-Adventure-for-Xbox-Live-PSN-and-PC] to modern DLC networks. While the only titles that have been mentioned thus far are Dreamcast games like Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi, Sega might be delving a bit deeper into its archives before too long.

Speaking with Sega Ages collections [http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/20100630_377767.html] - talked about the possibility of doing the same to its Saturn titles.

The problem, according to Okunari, is the Saturn wasn't quite as popular as its predecessor Genesis or its successor Dreamcast. "When you look globally, the Genesis and Dreamcast are well known, but Saturn is unknown. During that period, PlayStation and Nintendo 64 were a success overseas, but to be honest Saturn was not a success. Because of this, we decided on Dreamcast," he said.

Still, he said that Saturn re-releases were certainly an option. "What we announced this time is a project where we will have consecutive releases of titles that were debuted on Dreamcast," Okunari explained. "Separate from this, we're of course thinking about ports of Saturn games. It's the same as how Sega Ages and Virtual Console were separate existences. It's not that we have no intention of porting Saturn titles, so please share your requests."

So, just because Sega is focusing on Dreamcast titles right now, it doesn't mean there isn't something going on behind the scenes to do the same to beloved Saturn titles. Why, Segata Sanshiro could be on his way to bludgeon the Xbox 360 and PS3 into submission until they play Saturn titles out of fear right now!

Incidentally, as pointed out by the game's fans [http://www.nightsintodreams.com/?p=1281], cult classic NiGHTS into Dreams turns 15 this year. What a good time for a remake, huh?

(via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/30/sega-thinking-about-downloadable-saturn-games/])

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
I just had a brain dumb, and for some reason, though that it said Sega was going to re-class Saturn.. the planet.

This is fine too.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Grandia.

Grandia.

Grandia!

And Panzer Dragoon Saga. That's a rare, and fantastic, game from what I hear. Be nice to see it in digital form. I want to play it, but not enough to pay the outrageous prices I see it going for.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000FT61OU/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1277930442&sr=8-1&condition=used

Grandia.

Grandia.

Grandia!

Ahem...once more...

[HEADING=2]GRANDIA![/HEADING]

Yes, Grandia was on the Saturn originally, not the PS1.

EDIT #4: As stated below, the Saturn version never had an English translation outside of the PS1 port, but still. It's TECHNICALLY a Saturn game.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
And Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Fucking rare ass game. Be nice to see it in digital form.
Pretty much this!

Oh, please please please please ressurect "Panzer Dragoon Saga", I loved that game to bits. One of the more obscure games out there I reckon and one of the most memorable games from my childhood.

Apr 28, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Grandia.

Grandia.

Grandia!

And Panzer Dragoon Saga. That's a rare, and fantastic, game from what I hear. Be nice to see it in digital form.

Grandia.

Grandia.

Grandia!

Ahem...once more...

And not on Ebay for a fuckton of money.
And thats if your lucky enough to come across one of them on Ebay...

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Radiant Silvergun. Burning Rangers. Mr. Bones. Christmas NiGHTS. Panzer Dragoon Saga. Please and thank you!

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
John Funk said:
Incidentally, as pointed out by the game's fans [http://www.nightsintodreams.com/?p=1281], cult classic NiGHTS into Dreams turns 15 this year. What a good time for a remake, huh?
There's already been a remake for the PS2. It was only released in Japan though.

I welcome Saturn classics brought over. I recently got back into Saturn Bomberman and Guardian Heroes, and I can safely say most modern games aren't even a scratch on those game's gameplay.

Onyx Oblivion said:
Grandia.

Grandia.

Grandia!

And Panzer Dragoon Saga. That's a rare, and fantastic, game from what I hear. Be nice to see it in digital form. I want to play it, but not enough to pay the outrageous prices I see it going for.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000FT61OU/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1277930442&sr=8-1&condition=used

Grandia.

Grandia.

Grandia!

Ahem...once more...

It'll never happen. Mainly because the game never had an English translation for the Saturn version.

But I'm sure the PSX version could be re-released, if it hasn't already?

wooty said:
Oh, please please please please ressurect "Panzer Dragoon Saga", I loved that game to bits. One of the more obscure games out there I reckon and one of the most memorable games from my childhood.
Honestly, the game hasn't aged as well as many would like to think. Like most 3D games for the Saturn.

The soundtrack still kicks arse though. As do the FMVs.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Terramax said:
But I'm sure the PSX version could be re-released, if it hasn't already?
Sadly, it has not. I still have my PS1 copy, but it'd be nice to see it ported to moderns consoles.

I am aware of the translation issues, but hey, they could just port the PS1 version, wrap it in a Saturn bow...and DONE.

The Arc of Eden

Jun 7, 2010
Clockwork, Shining the Holy Ark, and Blazing Dragons. Please, God please be true. I've been craving a chance to replay Shining the Holy Ark for-EVER. As far as I know, it was the first (and best in my opinion) First person RPG.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I would love to see some of the old saturn classics get a re-rlease. They are wel past due for some luvin

Low Key

May 7, 2009
The only game I really played on the Saturn was Virtua Cop. I have to say that Panzer Dragoon demo was pretty fun though.

Mar 26, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Radiant Silvergun. Burning Rangers. Mr. Bones. Christmas NiGHTS. Panzer Dragoon Saga. Please and thank you!
That's what I'm talking about!

Chuck in Fighter's Megamix and Guardian Heroes as well.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Why stop at just Saga? The entire Panzer Dragoon series is worth revisiting. Hell, they can re-release Orta if they like.

Agreed on Guardian Heroes. Also, Dragon Force, Astal, Dark Savior, Burning Rangers, Cyberbots, the Lunar remakes, Magic Knight Rayearth, Princess Crown, Radiant Silvergun, Shining Force III, and the original Virtual On.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I never played with a Saturn before, but I would love to play some fabled Saturn titles, like Panzer Dragoon and NiGHTS.

Also, that Segata Sanshiro commercial was hilarious. A soccer RPG?, sign me in!

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
They have already revisited Nights this console generation with the sequel on the Wii.

I hope they rerelease Guardian Heroes. I would definitely spend some money on the especially if it is rerendered in HD.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Shining Force III please. I never got to play it due to lack of Saturn and 1/2 were fucking fun to play over and over again.