Seiken Densetsu Collection Announced for Nintendo Switch

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Seiken Densetsu Collection Announced for Nintendo Switch

Square Enix announced Seiken Densetsu Collection for Nintendo Switch.

Last night, the Twitter account for the Seiken Densetsu series dropped a Gematsu [https://twitter.com/Seiken_PR/status/843658507719127040]) that Seiken Densetsu 3 will, in fact, be on the Nintendo Switch. However, it will be arriving as part of the Seiken Densetsu Collection along with Seiken Densetsu 1 and Seiken Densetsu 2 (also known as Final Fantasy Adventure and Secret of Mana).

Seiken Densetsu 2 and Seiken Densetsu 3 will support up to three players in multiplayer, while the collection adds features like quick-save, a Music Mode that allows you to listen to the music fromt he home screen, and a Seiken Densetsu 1-exclusive Screen Change Mode that will allow you to choose from multiple screen sizes.

The collection will set you back 4,800 yen in Japan (about $43), and while there currently is no word about a long-requested localization, the Nintendo Switch is region-free, so you can still scoop it up in it's Japanese form.

The Seiken Densetsu Collection will release on June 1 in Japan.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Oh wow, over 2 decades until we get a "maybe" for an official, legal seiken densetsu 3 release to the west.
How merciful.

Scy Anide

Redacted
Dec 7, 2013
That would definitely be a strong enough push that I'd actually buy a Switch, after not buying a console for over 10 years. I never thought I'd find myself really wanting to buy a console again. Sadly I still don't believe they would localize it for the US/EU though, not even to push Switch sales.

Sing

Aug 6, 2013
This is all really cool, I just hope that they will localize it to the west. Knowing SE and nintendo, they probably won't do it though...

...And now I am sad thinking about the localization that will never come >.<

zellosoli

Aug 22, 2011
loa said:
Oh wow, over 2 decades until we get a "maybe" for an official, legal seiken densetsu 3 release to the west.
How merciful.
you mean the rom they downloaded and would resell, right?

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
zellosoli said:
loa said:
How merciful.
you mean the rom they downloaded and would resell, right?
I'm still throwing money at the screen in hopes of getting it.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Sing said:
This is all really cool, I just hope that they will localize it to the west. Knowing SE and nintendo, they probably won't do it though...

...And now I am sad thinking about the localization that will never come >.<
Nintendo might. Square definetly won't. Just look at Dragon Quest.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I'm not sure whether to still be pissed because it took so long for them to recognize that it was a masterpiece worthy of a western release, or whether I should be happy that they might finally start looking at their large back catalogue of Japanese games they never brought to the west.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Aaaaaaaaaaand now I have a massive reason to start using play-asia again! I was on the fence about importing the physical I Am Setsuna but I think importing is the only way I'm gonna get my hands on this.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
So are these 3 games worth playing?
This is Final Fantasy 1, 2 and 3 we're talking about?
These are similar to Golden Sun?
Forgive my ignorance!!!

Action Jack

Jun 30, 2010
Guffe said:
Forgive my ignorance!!!
No, they're a different series from Final Fantasy. The first one, however, was brought to the US as Final Fantasy Adventure to piggyback off a more recognized name.

I haven't played Golden Sun, but I'd best describe them as RPGs with realtime combat. Somewhat Link to the Past-ish, but with a level-up system and less puzzles.

My friends and I loved Secret of Mana in the day because it had co-op, which was unheard of for an RPG at the time, but it has not aged well. It had great graphics and soundtrack, but was incredibly buggy and the plot was entirely forgettable.

Seiken Densetsu 3, however, which never came to the US, was great and probably still worth playing today.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Action Jack said:
Guffe said:
Forgive my ignorance!!!
No, they're a different series from Final Fantasy. The first one, however, was brought to the US as Final Fantasy Adventure to piggyback off a more recognized name.

I haven't played Golden Sun, but I'd best describe them as RPGs with realtime combat. Somewhat Link to the Past-ish, but with a level-up system and less puzzles.

My friends and I loved Secret of Mana in the day because it had co-op, which was unheard of for an RPG at the time, but it has not aged well. It had great graphics and soundtrack, but was incredibly buggy and the plot was entirely forgettable.

Seiken Densetsu 3, however, which never came to the US, was great and probably still worth playing today.
Thanks!
This one might be worth getting then if it comes in a language I can understand/read.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Action Jack said:
Guffe said:
Forgive my ignorance!!!

I remember secret of mana being one of the best gaming experiences of my life. We even bought that multi tap to allow for the third controller to plug in. Having said that it must be 20 years ago now.

Interesting that you think it did not age well. This is something that could get me to buy a switch...

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
Aaaaaaaaaaand now I have a massive reason to start using play-asia again! I was on the fence about importing the physical I Am Setsuna but I think importing is the only way I'm gonna get my hands on this.
I'm guessing as with most retro re-releases it'll be download only.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
Shoggoth2588 said:
I'm guessing as with most retro re-releases it'll be download only.
That would justify all of the articles headed with phrases like, "highly priced" or "unreasonably priced". On the plus side though I won't have to worry about import tax. I really need to get off of my ass and create a Japanese Nintendo Network ID before more stuff like this gets announced/released...[sub]and I guess I need an SD card too[/sub]

Action Jack

Jun 30, 2010
bjj hero said:
Action Jack said:
Guffe said:
Forgive my ignorance!!!

I remember secret of mana being one of the best gaming experiences of my life. We even bought that multi tap to allow for the third controller to plug in. Having said that it must be 20 years ago now.

Interesting that you think it did not age well. This is something that could get me to buy a switch...
I mean, my thoughts on Secret of Mana are complicated. I too have fantastic memories of playing it with friends decades ago (and yes, I bought a multi-tap for it too), but I'm suspicious that those memories are 75% 3-player co-op and 25% awesome soundtrack. When I look back more critically, the combat was mechanically dull (and according to a friend who's played it more recently, incredibly buggy) and the plot was basically "find 8 things to save the world." If I replayed it today, I'd just remember things best left forgotten.

But like I said, I'd totally co-op SD3 if I had a crew.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Action Jack said:
I mean, my thoughts on Secret of Mana are complicated. I too have fantastic memories of playing it with friends decades ago (and yes, I bought a multi-tap for it too), but I'm suspicious that those memories are 75% 3-player co-op and 25% awesome soundtrack. When I look back more critically, the combat was mechanically dull (and according to a friend who's played it more recently, incredibly buggy) and the plot was basically "find 8 things to save the world." If I replayed it today, I'd just remember things best left forgotten.

Who did you main?

I was always the girl, Id compete with the muppet to try and nuke everything on screen in the most redunculous fashion (that Lumia attack spell was my go to pick) while the fighter would complain we were leaving him nothing to do.

Action Jack

Jun 30, 2010
bjj hero said:
Action Jack said:

Who did you main?

I was always the girl, Id compete with the muppet to try and nuke everything on screen in the most redunculous fashion (that Lumia attack spell was my go to pick) while the fighter would complain we were leaving him nothing to do.
I usually played the fighter. Felt more exciting to be running around hitting stuff than opening a menu and auto-targeting things. Didn't feel like the other two had enough magic points to nuke all the basic enemies and make me redundant, though I do remember insisting that nobody use magic in the battle where you fight your clones.

I didn't even remember the cleric having an attack spell, though I seem to recall Lumia not being available until very late in the game.

Action Jack

Jun 30, 2010
Action Jack said:
bjj hero said:
Action Jack said:

Who did you main?

I usually played the fighter. Felt more exciting to be running around hitting stuff than opening a menu and auto-targeting things. Didn't feel like the other two had enough magic points to nuke all the basic enemies and make me redundant (the faerie walnuts were expensive and you could only carry four of them), though I do remember insisting that nobody use magic in the battle where you fight your clones.

I didn't even remember the cleric having an attack spell, though I seem to recall Lumia not being available until very late in the game.