Sell me Deus Ex

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
The game's 11 years old and has been a cult classic all that time. If it hasn't piqued your interest in all those years, it never will.

And that's a shame too, because according to science, people who like Deus Ex have 15% more chance of getting sex than people who don't!

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
More Fun To Compute said:
It has boxes full of explosives that you can carry around and throw. You can walk into the women's toilets in your base and nobody stops you. That's how much freedom the game gives you, letting you feel like a complete nasty bottom.

Ranchcroutons said:
Suilenroc said:
i almost bought it the other day, but my friends i was with talked me out of it (the game is really hard; I don't really like super hard games...)
You sir have also just talked me out of it. If a game frustrates me to a certain point I will not continue playing it. Entertainment that ceases to be entertaining gets a pass from me.
I wouldn't worry about it. Performing fleas are more intelligent and challenging than the AI in Deus Ex.
That's...not... really helping, you know that right?

OT: I got Deus Ex for cheap about half a year ago (because HR looks awesome); installed it; played through the tutorial; got to the last bit of the tutorial where you have to skirt around a big robot and get to the other side of a pool using your brain and/or brawn; Failed and Got both of my legs shot clean off, so i just laid there on the ground as it plowed me with a 150 bullets a second (you can't die in the tutorial, just lose all your extremities); haven't touched it since.

Doesn't mean i won't.....but atleast in New Vegas, i had a friendly doc help me out when i got shot in the head. :)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
" it all looks so complex and boring"

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

*ahem*

Basically: More freedom in missions than you could ever possibly imagine.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
Cheap.
HUUUUUUGE replayability.
Great story.
Amazing gameplay.
Appears in almost every best ever list.

The first two levels tend to be a little slow, but stick with it and you will see that it is amazing. I myself have probably replayed it 7 times by now. If you like RPGs then you have to atleast give it a shot :)

Yellowbeard

Nov 2, 2010
It had a good story, good characters, great atmosphere if you let yourself get taken in, it had huge variety of tools and solutions to almost every problem. It's extremely interesting.

It was the kind of game that could trick you into thinking you could do practically anything to throw off the plot and the game would just run with it convincingly (relatively speaking). I only finished the game once, and I skipped an early boss encounter (robbed her house instead of meeting her) and when she showed up later in the game she mentioned it. Basically, it gave you enough choice to make it seem like there was no single path through the plot.

It's flawed. Combat is poor and there are lots of ways to break the game. I found the method of fighting that made the combat least stupid-looking (headshots with laser-sighted pistol) to help with that.

First time I played it I got bored around the third mission (Hell's Kitchen). Second time I played it it hooked me and I loved it through to the end.

ChipSandwich

Jan 3, 2010
Do not watch people's gameplay. Play it yourself. If you're not really into complexity, you can approach it like a run and gun, at some expense. Or you can go stealth. Or whatever.

The training level and early stages are fairly boring, but stick with it. The story seems VERY boring at the start and you're thinking "oh, this is just another "USA is dominate" plot", but after the Airfield mission the story REALLY picks up. After that, there's just so much intrigue, so much tension, and the game really comes to life as one of the best things ever. If you've already spoiled the story though, I don't think it's worth getting. The AI in the game is pretty bad, even for it's time, and the combat is also kind of unbalanced. GEP gun sniper rifle dragon tooth sword regen run speed and ballistic protection mods, if you know what I mean. Skills are interesting but there are only 2 out of 9 worth bringing to Master level, one of those is pretty dubious, and some of them aren't even worth bringing up to advanced level.

tl;dr
If you don't know the story, get the game, sit through the first few fairly dull missions then finish Airfield and go "omg wtf" for the next 15 hours.

pwnzerstick

Mar 25, 2009
Well PC Gamer has named it the #1 game of all time two years in a row now, so that has to mean something.

stefman

Jan 9, 2011
i got it from ebay from an organization called lukiegames for a total of 4.50 including shipping and i am enjoying it alot. its a fun interesting rpg shooter hybrid with a strong story and does many things well. its definitely worth playing.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
There's a very insightful review of Deus Ex here [http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/?page_id=16] and if that doesn't sell it to you, nothing will.

ntw3001

Sep 7, 2009
I never found it hard, and I'm not good at games. The thing is, if you find a segment difficult, you can always take a completely different approach. If you start the first level by running in guns blazing, it's hard because your starting character is terrible at shooting. You can fight your way in, or you can take down the guards using stealth, sneak in without being seen, hack the security system, and I'm not sure what else.

There are a lot of approaches, and miraculously that design philosophy doesn't peter out after the first couple of levels like such things tend to in games. Not only can every situation be tackled from different angles, but the story is genuinely changed by the player's choices. Key characters can be killed off early on or not at all. If they do survive, it's not in a Final Fantasy '[optional character] joins the party but contributes nothing aside from a few throwaway comments in cutscenes and maybe a sidequest' way, but with complete story elements attached.

Aside from anything else, it's extremely highly-regarded and costs next to nothing. Those characteristics make trying it out a low risk/high reward opportunity. But if you don't like it, just don't tell the internet. They'll be furious.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
starfox444 said:
It's like Half Life 2.

It was good at the time. Not so much now.
Half Life 2 isn't any good anymore?

OT: You can easily go onto youtube and find some walkthrough videos to look at the gameplay and if it doesn't suit your style then you end up saving five bucks or get a very fun experience playing what many find an amazing game.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I would try, but I've still yet to find a reason to keep playing my copy. Got as far as that Clinton Castle level and the game just wasn't holding my attention enough to make me keep playing. And it's not just because I've found other things I wanted to play a whole lot more: even when I had nothing particular in mind that I wanted to play, Deus Ex still never really popped out and said "PLAY MEEEEEE". So I can't really convince you to buy a game if I can't even convince myself to keep playing the copy I already own.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Deus Ex is not difficult, it merely has a weird difficulty curve and a punishing 'realistic' difficulty mode.

If you play the game in a stealthy style, it actually gets easier as it goes through.

It's very different from modern ritalin popping action FPS games. It's a far more tactical game where the emphasis is on finding your own way around the challenges it presents. There is very seldom only one route to an objective and some are a lot easier than others, so the challenge is more about planning and outwitting the (remarkably stupid) AI than seeing how fast you can react to things.

I recently tried a realistic playthough and I'm still really surprised by how deep the game is. Almost everything has multiple pathways or multiple resolutions. If you like that kind of explorative depth it just might be the game for you.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Overhyped but still quite worth it. The complexity is more in that you can handle the game however you want. Choice, not confusion. It's not that hard, and there are difficulty settings in any case.

But still, dammit, why so late? Forget selling, if you were a few weeks earlier, I would've given you Deus Ex. Would do that now if I wasn't broke >_>