Selling Items Impossible in Final Fantasy XIV Compared to WoW

Whichi

Sep 13, 2010
digital warrior said:
Square has been to focused on graphics and not enough on gameplay. Its actually kind of sad to see how far they have fallen.
They've been doing this since around 1995... I'm surprised there's a lot of people around my neck of the woods that still pretend that this is something new

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Scrumpmonkey said:
Danzaivar said:
JRPG focuses on graphics and spectacle. WRPG focuses on user experience. The world keeps spinning.
The probelm is that the only game i've seen do Graphics and spectacle well has been FF13 and the rest of it was an absolute abortion in my book. The failure to adapt to current tech by many japanese devs has been one of their major shortfalls.

FF14 goes beyond "Not focusing on user experience" and into the realsm of "Utterly broken"
Yeah. It's like they're investing a larger and larger part of the budget into making it look good to a point where they've now hit some kind of event horizon of pretentiousness. Which is why the JRPG model is swiftly heading down the toilet.

Unless maybe they was always this bad? But no decent Western RPGs around to compare them to meant they got a free ride on the terrible gameplay? It'd be sad if it wasn't funny to watch.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
As much as im tired of the misconception that WoW brought everything good to MMO genre (it brought nothing, nothing at all, it all been done before WoW in EQ, AO and Asian MMOs years prior to WoW release), the interface of FFXIV is just tragic. Even the singleplayer FFs of the past had better buy/sell equipment mechanics. Then again it's a perfect way of putting fake content into game, if you let's say plan to play for 2 hours a day and you spend 1 hour on just interacting with vendors than the actual content will last twice as long, and considering the fact the locations in FFXIV seem to be mostly copy-pasted, rotated squares of land without any actual variety, it surely helps in establish a long lasting experience for players.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
This is ridiculous. Even if they had to take into account the fact that this game would also be released on consoles, it's still the worst merchant interface I've ever seen.

I was constantly selling a butt load of crap to traders in Dragon Age: Origins, Oblivion and Fallout 3, none of which took so long to unload the clutter from my inventory as FFXIV.

Get back on the ball, Squeenix.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
WoW's auction house was EXACTLY this bad for the first TWO YEARS. Let's not fall over ourselves just because the kids ahead of us know long division now.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Methinks Scrumpmonkey got it, the world of gaming has moved on, while Square stubbonly refuses to update to current generation ideals.

But dear god, the interface looks even worse than FF XI's and that was pretty dire, I know not every game should copy wow, but c'mon the hell's the point in making an interface? I can't think of a single person who wouldn't find that fustrating compared to any other MMO interface, heck I can't imagine NOT being fustrated by that regardless of other experiences, when you know you have to open a menu, to go into a menu to open a submenu to interact with a chest or NPC, you know the shit has royally hit the fan.

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
Final fantasy games are all about the pretty these days, gone are the old models of poor graphics to prop up a deep and interesting story line. No no! Now its all anime graphics and glamour because the graphics whores demand it! and Squireenix is nothing if not a pimp to those whores.

Its pretty symbolic of how bad the whole industry is getting more focused on graphics and less worried about content and deep immersion. I miss the days of old when the Snes was around, Mario jump! NO THE FIRE BALLS ARE COMING BACK!

That was intense gaming and the stories! My god the stories!
"Your princess is in another castle" caused me more tears than any of 100 movies like Shindlers list or the Pianist!

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
WoW's auction house was EXACTLY this bad for the first TWO YEARS. Let's not fall over ourselves just because the kids ahead of us know long division now.
Ahem.

No.

As someone who played about a month after it came out, it was never that bad. Right click to sell was always enabled. This is a vendor, not AH.

For AH you have to set the price, which is the only thing that makes it take so long (and the fact you have to click the tab over to sell every time, but that was patched).

There's a good reason that most successful MMOs haven't deviated very far from a standard interface that's been around since Everquest: IT WORKS.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Calamity said:
So the Escapist is now featuring classic "WoW does X better" flame bait threads?
As much as I don't agree with XIV, this is pretty sad.
Pretty much the same thing I thought.

But what's really sad is without FFXI there wouldn't be auction houses.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
You missed the point.
Calamity said:
So the Escapist is now featuring classic "WoW does X better" flame bait threads?
I agree with Calamity, sorta. While I think he has missed this particular point (even if the headline is basically just flamebaiting by making an intitially unqualified WoW comparison), the level of bias in general seems pretty .. sad, yeah. While this hasn't reached the hate-wagon levels of sankaku complex, it's a real sod nobody's bothered to even try looking at the nice parts of FF XIV - which, again, some people are really enjoying, myself included.

By my own opinions crafting is fun, the setting is really nice, the graphics are lovely (and this is a viable positive however much people may dismiss it), the combat system's interesting and requires a bit of pre-planning and mid-battle strategy, the NPCs are well-written, as is the story, the music's nice, the character creation's better than any game I've played since Phantasy Star Universe..

Oh and guess what? I like the Market Wards system. Others do, too. We all accept they aren't perfect and could stand a good few UI improvements, but I vastly prefer this setup to auction houses, which turn me off most games in which they're the key market foundation.

People are getting really good at ignoring the fact that some people just happen to enjoy things that drive other people nuts. For instance, me? I hate WoW. I absolutely cannot stand it for every time I've tried playing it. The tone, the setting, the art style, design philosophy mid-game and at character creation, the systemic considerations.. every time I have attempted to play WoW, I have come away feeling ill. Do I, therefore, decry its design decisions as stupid and the game itself as bad? Of course not. There are people enjoy it no matter how much I fail to understand how they can penetrate the things make me feel sick about it.

The Escapist really needs to watch its bias levels, at least on the front-page newsfeed.. Thus far it's just been toeing the controversy with this particular reporter making mildly inflammatory comments like 'Selling Items Impossible in Final Fantasy XIV' and 'some of the [EVE Online] players in question might have to reconsider what they're doing with their time - and money' (the latter of which was especially ill-researched given said players were almost certainly paying no real-world money into EVE at all), but there's a fine line between reporting controversy and playing to the the hate-wagon. You start crossing that line when you dismiss the existence of positive aspects and/or opinions. Though, I was pleasantly surprised by the more even-handed closing paragraphs.

S'cuse the wall.

Oh and here, my FF XIV gripe:
WHY ARE THERE NO CHAT BUBBLES? WHY IS NOBODY ELSE EVEN BOTHERED BY THAT?!
How can you people stand only having the log window? There is NOTHING more immersion breaking than log-restricted chat!

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
Why do you think WoW is so successful despite all the bashing? It took what works and used it well.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Final Fantasy as a franchise peaked at VII. It took a nosedive at VIII. Then IX brought the series back around a little but after that its just gotten worse and worse and worse til you see what we have in their last two releases. Sorry XIII was atrocious and XIV, for all it's hype, is barely ready for beta never mind actually being released.

Square should be embarrassed this game was put out in the state it's in with the nearly unusable interface and an entire landscape that is nothing more than the same ten or twelve pieces of land copy/pasted over and over. Screw giving people a free month of game time they should refund their purchase all together and stop selling this abortion of an MMO until they can put something together that doesn't set the genre back a decade.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Calamity said:
Or which other MMO should you compare it to?

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
SaintWaldo said:
No, I remember I can search things. I don't know how WoW turned auction into now, but I played WoW during it's first year. I remember you go to the sell tab and set price and time that is it.

Anyways you are comparing selling thing to NPC to auction house.

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
JediMB said:
Sir John the Net Knight said:
And the more I look at video of FFXIV, the more I realize it really is FFXI with a fresh coat of paint slapped on.
No.

It's Final Fantasy XI with all the bad stuff taken out, all the good stuff taken out, some new good things added, and a buttload of new bad things added. All they kept was the looks of the player races.

They'd have been much, much, much better off just remaking FFXI in a new engine and updated the crafting/leveling system to take the focus on crafting classes into account.
This. I can't believe how bad FF14 is, having played it a bit. This game feels like an alpha build, not even ready for beta testing because the interface is so crappy. The zones are massive with almost nothing in it. An MMO should not feel like Shadow of the Colossus, as awesome as SotC was.

xyrafhoan

Jan 11, 2010
Urgh, reading the generalizations of jRPGs in this thread is horrendous. Final Fantasy has alienated its own genre. JRPG fans are starting to congregate around Shin Megami Tensei instead.

That being said, FFXIV is slow, slow, slow. Many people who played FFXI aren't bothered by the pace of the game, but they admit that the game is not friendly to new players. The system of selling items is such a backwards design choice that you wonder if the developers have played *any* game in the past 20 years. Not to mention the game's active attempts to make it difficult to play the game for long periods of time, including the quest caps and fewer long-distance travel options the longer you play. Isn't it counterproductive to make your game actively seek your players to walk away from it?

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
McNinja said:
amaranth_dru said:
I see APB all over again.
Exactly. Square Enix should not have released the game in its current form. They should have done more testing with a larger audience (i.e. not entirely fanboys) so they get a feel of what does and does not suck.
Thing is, SE has enough fanboys to keep this running for a lot longer than APB. Beta testing wasn't small, there were like 10 european servers only. But the forums were filled with people who liked it and who would argue every complaint you would make about this horrible mess, a lot of them defended the interface too.

But in spite of all of that, i don't approve of this article, this is outright bashing a game, even if its rightfully so, it is not fitting to a reputable website.