Selling Items Impossible in Final Fantasy XIV Compared to WoW

Mausenheimmer

Feb 11, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
Is it little wonder JRPGs look a little tired?
I think you hit the nail on the head. All other genres have made huge strides forward not only in terms of the narrative, but also in terms of game play. Every significant advantage JRPG's used to have has long since eroded.

In light of the relative disappointment of the FF13 release earlier this year and the outright catastrophe with FF14, are we going to see Final Fantasy lose its status as "staple of the RPG genre"?

Racthoh

Feb 9, 2009
Mausenheimmer said:
In light of the relative disappointment of the FF13 release earlier this year and the outright catastrophe with FF14, are we going to see Final Fantasy lose its status as "staple of the RPG genre"?
I thought it lost that title when it moved to the PS2 when FFX abandoned much of what I'd consider qualifies a game as Final Fantasy.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I feel for the poor souls who have to slave away at the game like that. For the dedicated players it must be the literall representation of the saying "labour of love".

Playing a game should never feel like 'work'. Sadly, it appears far too labourious for my tastes.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Wael Kash said:
digital warrior said:
Square has been to focused on graphics and not enough on gameplay. Its actually kind of sad to see how far they have fallen.
They've been doing this since around 1995... I'm surprised there's a lot of people around my neck of the woods that still pretend that this is something new
I too am surprised that people think this is new. They've been doing this for as long as I can remember. It really leave some of their older games with no selling points at all because by today's standards, even the best graphics on the PS1 are ugly as sin.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Mausenheimmer said:
I'm surprised people think it still has that status at all. I'm certain the only people enjoying these games at this point are the fanboys. Put it in front of someone who hasn't touched an RPG before and I'm sure they won't want to play another anytime soon.

(sorry about the possible double post, but I got hit with that glitch where my first post isn't showing up)

Mehall

Feb 1, 2010
3nimac said:
But in spite of all of that, i don't approve of this article, this is outright bashing a game, even if its rightfully so, it is not fitting to a reputable website.
Eh?

So you're telling me that a site devoted to games and players of games shouldn't take a good shot (and it's not even a cheap shot, it's spot on) at a game that's came into the market 8/10 years into the regular existence of the market, yet can't do something the rest of the market manages simply and easily, and has been managed on every game to have an inventory system ever?

Don't get me wrong, if this article was about some crappy (IMO) "Forklift truck simulator" (yes, it exists) and they were just taking a cheap shot at saying they think nobody in their right mind should buy it, then I would take issue with it, because it's apparently a well designed series of simulation "games" that prove to be consistently popular.

The difference is, FF14 has managed to cock up something horrendously simple, so why shouldn't they compare it to the market leader, or ever any other relevant/similar game. EVE, WoW, a gazillion other MMO's, off-line Final Fantasies, Ultima series, etc etc etc.

Mausenheimmer

Feb 11, 2008
mjc0961 said:
Mausenheimmer said:
I'm surprised people think it still has that status at all. I'm certain the only people enjoying these games at this point are the fanboys. Put it in front of someone who hasn't touched an RPG before and I'm sure they won't want to play another anytime soon.

(sorry about the possible double post, but I got hit with that glitch where my first post isn't showing up)
Well I guess that answers my question. Final Fantasy is no longer a staple of the RPG genre and it's decline has, apparently, been a long time coming. I've never played any of the FF games, except for Crystal Chronicles (only owning a Gamecube can lead a man to do horrible, horrible things). My entire perception of the series is based off of the fanboy rage from when 13 when multiplatform in 2008 and Spoony's hilarious review videos of 8 & 10.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Keava said:
WoW brought nothing, nothing at all, it all been done before WoW in EQ, AO and Asian MMOs years prior to WoW release.
What WoW brought was polish and usability. Everything WoW did had been done before, yes, but Blizzard polished it, made it easier to understand and control, and now it's the golden standard. Nothing in WoW is really that special compared to some other games, but the entire package is so much more streamlined and accessible that you have to be impressed. Just because you aren't innovating doesn't mean you aren't pushing the genre forward.

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
Sits silently and nods head* **Thinks to self** Another MMO that will be destroyed by Guild Wars 2. bwahahah

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Azhrarn-101 said:
Actually, from what I've heard it's a step backwards even from FFXI. It at least has an auction house (rather than a player bazaar without a search option).
That could very easily be seen as a step forward.

The primary problem of FF14 are the arbitrary limits they have put in place on character development. Everything else is axillary or complete opinion.

I dunno. I'm not really caring that it takes so long to sell items. Yeah, it's pretty shitty and older games (I'm talking UO and EQ) have better selling systems, but that's such a moot point.

The fact that I'm capped to X number of hours of xp per class per week per character is absolutely fucking bogus and any other issue is completely and utterly sidestepping the point of an MMO based entirely around character development.

It would be like Ultima Online having a limit on how many points in to a skill you can gain each week. All that does is piss off those who are most vocal about your game.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
MetallicaRulez0 said:
What WoW brought was polish and usability. Everything WoW did had been done before, yes, but Blizzard polished it, made it easier to understand and control, and now it's the golden standard.
WoW? Polished?

Did you play at launch? It had a worse launch than APB.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
Exort said:
Or which other MMO should you compare it to?
Why compare it to any MMO?

Would you compare Bioshock to CoD or Demon's Souls to Tales of Symphonia? No, you wouldn't, and if you did you'd be looked at like a crazy man.

Instead of stating "MAN IT TAKES FOREVER TO SELL ITEMS IN FF14 COMPARED TO WOW!" you could say "IT TAKES 3 MINUTES TO SELL 20 ITEMS IN FF14!"

One of those has actual meaning, the other is a circle jerk.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Credge said:
MetallicaRulez0 said:
What WoW brought was polish and usability. Everything WoW did had been done before, yes, but Blizzard polished it, made it easier to understand and control, and now it's the golden standard.
WoW? Polished?

Did you play at launch? It had a worse launch than APB.
I did play at launch, and yes the server situation at launch was god awful. However, the only reason it was that bad is because WoW was wildly successful and Blizzard wasn't prepared for the hundreds of thousands of people trying to log in to a small number of servers. It was fixed relatively quickly.

I was more speaking for the actual gameplay polish that WoW has. Everything from combat to the tradeskill menus and NPCs are top-notch. It also has by far the best add-on and mod support of any game I've ever played.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
One of the funny things is that I use a mod to make selling items easier in WoW. God knows how I'd have gotten on with FFXIV. At launch I remember WoW was pipped at the post for most of its new features by City of Heroes, but a lot of it felt fresh for a fantasy MMO and some of them seemed new, though I hadn't played everything else. Rest XP, the sheer density of quests and much much lower cooldowns on abilities and enormously faster regeneration of health and mana bars meant it played a lot differently to the existing leaders at the very least.

Jan 23, 2009
Eve online is frustratingly similar in it's selling mechanics, but it's mostly down to the fact that you are (nearly) always buying or selling from other players.

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
From the looks of it, SE should just pull the plug on this game, work on it moreand re-realse it when they have it finished. Only the fans could really enjoy it and even then, that's down to sheer power of will to ignore terrible crap and stick up for the game they love.

To all those saying that this article is bashing it, well remember, if another, less popular game tried to get away with this in this day and age, it would be flamed, grilled and served with a side of butter. You have to remeber, there are high standards for most new games from a massive franhise and the developers have to live up to them, or they end up falling face first.

Also, it gets copared to WoW because that's the MMO that has sent most of the standards. Most MMOs get compared to it, it's juts a fact of gaming life.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
digital warrior said:
Square has been to focused on graphics and not enough on gameplay. Its actually kind of sad to see how far they have fallen.
Too true. Atlus has more or less taken their place as the kings of JRPG's.