Selling Items Impossible in Final Fantasy XIV Compared to WoW

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Hrm, kind of sad. I never really enjoyed any of the FF games, but I don't like to see programmers hard work fall apart when put into play. I am sure there was some kind of good idea behind doing it this way...I hope.

kingcom

Jan 14, 2009
Sneaklemming said:
Eve online is frustratingly similar in it's selling mechanics, but it's mostly down to the fact that you are (nearly) always buying or selling from other players.
Not really, its a simple matter of right clicking and selling. If you want to work the market sure, you need to check prices and set according.

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
Looking at this feature, and this feature alone, it looks like they badly need a button bound to "sell stack", so you don't have to go through the "how many" process.

Oh, and if they do that, allow queuing of items being vended, to prevent lag from getting in the way. (WoW does this - items turn grey when you click to sell them, then the item disappears and the gold credited once the server request is made).

I don't think the list-based menu is necessarily a bad thing (and probably easier to navigate on consoles), but its major flaw is not a single click to sell.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Mediocrity at its worst .. Its sad to see how games have become so watered down in general this sort of thing actually gets past quality control.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
MetallicaRulez0 said:
What WoW brought was polish and usability. Everything WoW did had been done before, yes, but Blizzard polished it, made it easier to understand and control, and now it's the golden standard. Nothing in WoW is really that special compared to some other games, but the entire package is so much more streamlined and accessible that you have to be impressed. Just because you aren't innovating doesn't mean you aren't pushing the genre forward.
WoW actually brought much more than that- WoW represented a complete shift in priorities. It wasn't that WoW succeeded in accessibility where other games failed, it was that it was the first one to pay attention to it in the first place. The game's pacing was radically different than EQ's. Questing was emphasized over grinding monsters all day long.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
deth2munkies said:
SaintWaldo said:
WoW's auction house was EXACTLY this bad for the first TWO YEARS. Let's not fall over ourselves just because the kids ahead of us know long division now.
Ahem.

No.

As someone who played about a month after it came out, it was never that bad. Right click to sell was always enabled. This is a vendor, not AH.

For AH you have to set the price, which is the only thing that makes it take so long (and the fact you have to click the tab over to sell every time, but that was patched).

There's a good reason that most successful MMOs haven't deviated very far from a standard interface that's been around since Everquest: IT WORKS.
poiumty said:
But we're not talking about auction houses, are we. WoW has always had this selling system.

Also, lots of lag in that wow vid. Must've been patch day or something.
I also played from the first month, and you also missed my point. WoW's starting selling interface (especially the AH, single stacks anyone?) was ALSO bad, even though Blizzard had Diablo I and II under its belt. I said they were equally bad interfaces, as in frustrating and annoying, not equal mechanics. It doesn't really matter if it's vendor or AH. It's item selling. It's the same thing on a certain level.

Sure, this is not good design. My post was more about not always pretending that WoW is not only the best MMO around, but that it's always been that way.

And I've always considered the lag in WoW an implementation feature. ;)

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Credge said:
MetallicaRulez0 said:
What WoW brought was polish and usability. Everything WoW did had been done before, yes, but Blizzard polished it, made it easier to understand and control, and now it's the golden standard.
WoW? Polished?

Did you play at launch? It had a worse launch than APB.
Careful. I tried this tack and apparently even playing WoW doesn't allow you to criticize it.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
deth2munkies said:
SaintWaldo said:
WoW's auction house was EXACTLY this bad for the first TWO YEARS. Let's not fall over ourselves just because the kids ahead of us know long division now.
Ahem.

No.

As someone who played about a month after it came out, it was never that bad. Right click to sell was always enabled. This is a vendor, not AH.

For AH you have to set the price, which is the only thing that makes it take so long (and the fact you have to click the tab over to sell every time, but that was patched).

There's a good reason that most successful MMOs haven't deviated very far from a standard interface that's been around since Everquest: IT WORKS.
poiumty said:
But we're not talking about auction houses, are we. WoW has always had this selling system.

Also, lots of lag in that wow vid. Must've been patch day or something.
I also played from the first month, and you also missed my point. WoW's starting selling interface (especially the AH, single stacks anyone?) was ALSO bad, even though Blizzard had Diablo I and II under its belt. I said they were equally bad interfaces, as in frustrating and annoying, not equal mechanics. It doesn't really matter if it's vendor or AH. It's item selling. It's the same thing on a certain level.

Sure, this is not good design. My post was more about not always pretending that WoW is not only the best MMO around, but that it's always been that way.

And I've always considered the lag in WoW an implementation feature. ;)
How is "right click on item you want to sell" a bad system?

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
from what I've seen so far since it came out this game is securing a place in THIS [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_commercial_failures_in_video_gaming] page pretty well

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
deth2munkies said:
Your refusal to acknowledge even one of my points when I went a fair distance to integrate yours into my response gives me perfect license to ignore you now.

Have a nice life.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
deth2munkies said:
Your refusal to acknowledge even one of my points when I went a fair distance to integrate yours into my response gives me perfect license to ignore you now.

Have a nice life.
You didn't say a damn thing other than "it's bad". You never said why or anything. Nice try at deflection.