Selling Out

Yoshi Bassist

Apr 16, 2009
Do bands sell out when they go on Guitar Hero, such as Metallica having a whole game, or Mercyful Fate going on there, because it used to be that only hardcore fans new who Mercyful Fate are and now every nerd with a plastic guitar is gonna start being fans because they can play the song on expert. Eitherway, both to me soldout, although I still like them.

ObadiahBlack

Sep 23, 2008
In an economy like this, you can't really blame them for wanting to expand on their incomes (even though they make godsend amounts of money nonetheless) into other avenues, regardless of whether or not they will be called out for "selling out". Some people, like you, like them anyway.

I think, also, that expanding to video game soundtracks increases the potential fanbase. For example, I never heard of Rise Against until I heard "Like The Angels" on Tony Hawk: Underground and "Paper Wings" on Burnout 3, and now I'm a fan. Having a single used on a video game could make a huge difference in what a person listens to.

Yoshi-Pop

Apr 1, 2009
Well Metallica could not possibly sell out any harder than they already have, so having their own Guitar Hero game is just shit on a shitpile(don't just love those old southern sayings?) and as for Mercyful Fate, their not together anymore so I don't really know how a band that for all intents and purposes is just a catalog can sell out in the first place. But to answer your REAL question I don't consider being in Guitar Hero to be selling out, because that would mean that Dethklok are sellouts, and then nothing would make sense anymore.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
They would only be selling out if they hate video games, believe they are evil, and still use them as a method of self-promotion.

Ghostshot08

Oct 22, 2008
avykins said:
They are in the industry to get paid. "selling out" is just a term used by whiney people who don't like everyone else being in on their little club.
Exactly, Most bands enjoy playing their music so why not make money doing something you enjoy. If a band plays a show, no matter how small, where they make money, then why not make more by appearing in a video game. It is only selling out if you only play charity concerts and such.

iggyus

Apr 18, 2009
Well I can understand them. Being in Guitar Hero is huge money and lots of reputation

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
avykins said:
They are in the industry to get paid. "selling out" is just a term used by whiney people who don't like everyone else being in on their little club.
Hit the head on the nail here.

I like when bands I like come to guitar hero/rock band. Since I enjoy their music I can now pretend to play it! The game is a lot more fun when you're playing music you like.

Plus, if it's just DLC the chances are only fans will download it anyways. I'm pretty sure the general populous won't buy the Roadrunner records pack on RB2, but it was the first thing I got!

Gunn01

Feb 13, 2009
I don't think its selling out because everyone wants to get noticed and this is just one way of achieving that. It's just a way to promote themselves. I'm sure being in the game doesnt pay them much... Its the exposure from being in the game that they are looking for.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Metallica didn't need Guitar Hero to sell out.

The final nail in their sellout coffin was driven home when they coerced the government into suing 12 year old girls who were downloading their tunes.

Chickenlittle

Sep 4, 2008
avykins said:
Except for Westwood. It's really too bad EA got a hold of them.

Jeronus

Nov 14, 2008
avykins said:
It is also used by people who don't have enough talent to sell out. Seriously, I don't think their is a sane person alive who wouldn't sell out if they could.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
"They are in the industry to get paid."

I might be the only person ITT to disagree with this statement entirely. I mostly listen to bands that would rather 'chop it off' than to play music for money (as a -main- goal). Then again, I really don't listen to anything mainstream.

ex: At Brand New's concert, they said no cameras were allowed. 'If anyone is here for anything besides just the music, you shouldn't be here'.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I don't think they sold out at all, Guitar Hero is more there to spread the classics.

Griff

Aug 27, 2008
They arent selling out they are just making a bit of monet nd to be honest if it gets kids into good music then i'm all for it

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
avykins said:
/thread

Bibliomancer

Apr 17, 2009
antipunt said:
"They are in the industry to get paid."

I might be the only person ITT to disagree with this statement entirely. I mostly listen to bands that would rather 'chop it off' than to play music for money (as a -main- goal). Then again, I really don't listen to anything mainstream.

ex: At Brand New's concert, they said no cameras were allowed. 'If anyone is here for anything besides just the music, you shouldn't be here'.
And I had never heard of Brand New until I just googled them. I love indie music, and I think if the bands playing don't love what they do, then they shouldn't be putting out music. At the same time, I don't fault someone for trying to gain exposure, or make a buck. For instance, I had never heard of Rise Against until I heard prayer of the refugee on Guitar hero 3. I just heard one of their songs on the radio the other day. Look at all of the people who shoot to the top of the charts after being in an Apple ad. It's not selling out, it's good sense.