Selma Shows the Man Behind the Myth of MLK

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Selma Shows the Man Behind the Myth of MLK

Selma takes us to the promised land with a very human portrayal of Martin Luther King Jr.

Read Full Article

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
I think since Bob brought it up, I wanted to know what people thought of so-called 'respectability' politics, a.k.a. the perceived divide when it comes to, as Bob put it, the less than pristine image of the anti-establishment protesters and the upper class citizens that are pro-establishment but with nicer suits.

One thing I've always wanted to know is where do black or racially minority cops fall on the line?

In any case, Selma sounds like a good movie that I'll try to go see as soon as possible.

MADARAmagekyo

Dec 21, 2012
Thanks for giving us this review, Bob. I tremendously enjoyed "Lincoln" so I'm eager to see this too. It sounds much in the same vein - men who were willing to use their talents for behind-the-scenes manipulation in service of the greater good.

impocalyptic

Oct 31, 2011
Reding this actually gave me shivers. The theater might as well take my money now because this sounds amazing.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I think the problem with the Ferguson protests is that there was no central media personality or manipulator to set the narrative or even put it in a more palatable and understandable lens. At the end of the day, it might have been because it was the wrong thing to try and start the revolution over. By the time more legitimate cases like Eric Garner came around, the general public saw these cases as just overreactions.

After all, the thing that made Selma and the Civil Rights protests so effective wasn't just the media manipulation, it was the content of what was happening. Here was a bunch of peaceful black people in suits, linking arms with whites and religious officials, because they want to do something as simple as voting, which is an American treasure, and look at how southerners react to them.

No matter how one wants to romanticize it, it's simply not the same today. The goal is not as simple as the fundamental right to vote, it's the attainment of some kind of "Mama Bear's Porridge" of police reaction that few people seem to have a single opinion on what is most appropriate.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I believe that no matter what you're protesting for or against, trashing your own hometown and your neighbors' places of business is the wrong way to go about it. People who do that are mostly in it for attention and feeling like a big man. Definitely something the real MLK was not advocating. A couple of months ago, Oakland just erupted in rioting, and that city didn't have any national news making shootings happen. They even shut down a major freeway in the Bay Area to get across whatever point they were making.

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
Righteousness and moral dignity are all well and good, Selma argues, but at the end of the day controlling the narrative, crafting tableaus and tugging on heartstrings is often what gets the job done.

So, one may hope that one day they'll make an expansive biopic about Mother Jones too

Moeez

May 28, 2009
Good to hear that it's great. Was this not chosen for an Escape to the Movies episode because the jokes or snark isn't as easy compared to Taken 3? I'm not the critic, but I wonder if giving the worse movie of the week more exposure over years now is worth it.

Michael Dunkerton

Jan 8, 2013
I'm not seeing the connection between the first part of this review and the movie's message. He's favorably comparing modern protesters to MLK, with the comparison that they both broke the rules and were not so clean around the edges. But while what he describes happening in the movie might be a little devious, it's still very much a Gandhi approach. We're literally talking about a group of people choosing a location because its most likely that violence will be enacted on them and they'll finally get the attention they need as a result. That is worlds away from inciting damage and violence (and murder) on people of a certain profession. No one is saying MLK wasn't strategic or that modern protests shouldn't be strategic. People are contrasting the two by saying that modern protests shouldn't be anger-driven, uninformed, violent and destructive mobs.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
[quote/]a particularly obnoxious set of memes were circulating juxtaposing photographs of protesters led by Martin Luther King (suits and ties, "Sunday best" dresses) and "under-dressed" present-day protesters; the point being made (sometimes with accompanying text) that the difference in attire was also a difference in the seriousness/effectiveness of the protests.[/quote]
uggghh yeah this is bullshit (and a little racist) on so many levels, not to mention when people looooove to bring up MLK as a nice palatable non threatening form of protest compared to anything they consider too "agressive"

though I'm pretty sure he wasn't seen as nice and palatable at the time

Scow2

Aug 3, 2009
Vault101 said:
Did he flip any cars, burn/bomb any houses, or murder any police officers?

lithiumvocals

Jun 16, 2010
Scow2 said:
Vault101 said:
Nope, and yet people were still threatened by him and what he stood for.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
lithiumvocals said:
Scow2 said:
Vault101 said:
Yep. Enough that he was occasionally roughed up by to police and arrested. And there is of course that whole assassination thing...

Michael Dunkerton

Jan 8, 2013
lithiumvocals said:
Scow2 said:
Vault101 said:
Exactly. Having people feel threatened by you is fine. It may even be necessary, depending on the cause. Having people *be* threatened by you, because you are stealing and burning and killing, is not fine, no matter what your cause.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Moeez said:
Good to hear that it's great. Was this not chosen for an Escape to the Movies episode because the jokes or snark isn't as easy compared to Taken 3? I'm not the critic, but I wonder if giving the worse movie of the week more exposure over years now is worth it.
Maybe The Escapist assumed that his audience would be more interested in Taken 3 than in Selma. In which case they were idiots.

Scow2 said:
Vault101 said:
No, but they shot him anyway.

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
Seconding the question as to why Taken 3 got the video review considering both Bob and the viewers are far more interested in Selma. I mean Christ, was anyone actually expecting Taken 3 to be any good?

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
particularly as
Its a sequel
In genre it seems Bob resents the existence of
And would be an exallent contrast to the much dismissed American Sniper and so on.

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
Now, let's see someone make Jesus As A PR Man. I want to see a Last Supper that could easily slide right into Mad Men, because that's probably how it really went down in 33 AD. Oh wait, anyone remember The Passover Plot?