Senate Unanimously Approves Making Daylight Savings Time Permanent

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
There's no reason for kids to be getting up as early as they are.
Doesn't really make a blind bit of difference. It the kids are tired at school, it means they aren't getting to bed early enough.

Although really, the entire structure of sleep and wake is probably not what we're designed for. Virtually no animals have a sort of strict on-off system of wake and sleep as modern humans do, and there's no reason to think our ancestors had such a division either. I think it's very likely as hunter-gathers our ancestors slept during some of the day and were awake some of the night. There's evidence that's what many of us were doing in the medieval era, too.

There simply wasn't the sort of regularity we have now. I doubt the hour here or there from setting clocks forward or back is substantially different from natural variability in sleep from populations that didn't have clocks. Although going back to the notion of us staying up too late, back in the day there was fuck all to do when it got dark: no social media, no TV, no books, nor even significant light to do anything worth a damn except talk and have sex. Most jobs didn't need to be done at particular times. And our pre-industrial ancestors probably worked less than modern full time workers do, as well (at least across the course of a year).

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Doesn't really make a blind bit of difference. It the kids are tired at school, it means they aren't getting to bed early enough.

Although really, the entire structure of sleep and wake is probably not what we're designed for. Virtually no animals have a sort of strict on-off system of wake and sleep as modern humans do, and there's no reason to think our ancestors had such a division either. I think it's very likely as hunter-gathers our ancestors slept during some of the day and were awake some of the night. There's evidence that's what many of us were doing in the medieval era, too.

There simply wasn't the sort of regularity we have now. I doubt the hour here or there from setting clocks forward or back is substantially different from natural variability in sleep from populations that didn't have clocks. Although going back to the notion of us staying up too late, back in the day there was fuck all to do when it got dark: no social media, no TV, no books, nor even significant light to do anything worth a damn except talk and have sex. Most jobs didn't need to be done at particular times. And our pre-industrial ancestors probably worked less than modern full time workers do, as well (at least across the course of a year).
I posted the CDC article about why kids need to sleep later. I have friends whose kids have to get up earlier than I do for work at 8am and depending on where I'm working at, it could be a 40min drive. Why are kids having to get up earlier than that? It's just ridiculous and there's no excuse for it. In the UK, schools start later than the US.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I posted the CDC article about why kids need to sleep later. I have friends whose kids have to get up earlier than I do for work at 8am and depending on where I'm working at, it could be a 40min drive. Why are kids having to get up earlier than that? It's just ridiculous and there's no excuse for it. In the UK, schools start later than the US.
I repeat: kids don't particularly need to sleep later... if they get to bed earlier.

The key factor is that people get enough sleep (about 8-10 hours for adolescents). As long as it's not way off normal circadian cycle - and getting up 6am or after is not - it's mostly fiddling at the margins. I would suggest that a school start time before 8am is nuts on all sorts of levels. After that... not such a big deal.

If a child needs to get up at 6am to get to a school for 8am, (or even 7am for school at 9am) then there's a problem: but it's not one of school start times, it's one of what's taking the child so long to get ready and get to school.