Senator Leland Yee Arrested On Corruption Charges

HalfTangible

Apr 13, 2011
A politician is corrupt as fuck.

In other news, the sky is blue, Russia's cold during the winter, and the Ku Klux Klan doesn't get along with the Black Panthers.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Oh man, how the mighty have fallen. Do you think it hurt when he hit the ground? So, how long before he starts getting personal letters throwing everything back in his face about the safety of the children and whatnot?

Please do keep us posted on this, escapist. I want to watch this man squirm and burn.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Self-quoting:

UNHchabo said:
Leland Yee also tried to ban all magazine-fed rifles under the Assault Weapons Ban, by claiming that the literal text of the law was a "loophole", after getting sick of everyone pointing out that the current ban only affects cosmetic and ergonomic features [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhC8LpHPbRQ].
...and as it turns out, the charges are wire fraud, and conspiracy to deal firearms [http://www.kcra.com/politics/feds-accuse-sen-yee-of-wire-fraud-conspiracy-to-deal-firearms/25181428].

People are always so fascinated by the things they want to ban...

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
They also got the mayor of Charlotte, North Carolina. Just 30 minutes south of here, no sympathy at all for these corrupt assholes. Nice to see the government doing something good for once.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
UNHchabo said:
Self-quoting:

UNHchabo said:
Leland Yee also tried to ban all magazine-fed rifles under the Assault Weapons Ban, by claiming that the literal text of the law was a "loophole", after getting sick of everyone pointing out that the current ban only affects cosmetic and ergonomic features [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhC8LpHPbRQ].
...and as it turns out, the charges are wire fraud, and conspiracy to deal firearms [http://www.kcra.com/politics/feds-accuse-sen-yee-of-wire-fraud-conspiracy-to-deal-firearms/25181428].

People are always so fascinated by the things they want to ban...
You know, I was just about to quote you about what you said earlier. I was literally going to state that he's even worse than I thought. Regardless of how you feel about guns, you have to admit trying to use a loophole in a law to ban something that the law wasn't intended to ban is pretty BS. And trying to equate what is likely intended to discourage hunting whales and sharks to an attack on Chinese culture is pretty low.

But now to know that he was apparently trying to deal firearms, after the Video Game ban and the attempt to ban gun sales just paints him in the absolute worst light and only proves that politicians are, or at least this one is, as bad as people say. So he's actually even worse than I had thought! That's just some amazing degrees of hypocrisy, there. He may just be up for the coveted "Biggest Hypocrite of the Year" award.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
I admit, I lol'd evilly.

I've always said that the louder that one preaches at people, the more they've got to hide.

PlasmaCow

Jul 18, 2009
y'know, I never did quite understand the rigorous fight you Americans had against criminalising the sale of M rated games to minors.
In the UK it's just an accepted thing that BFCC ratings are legally binding for the retailer to abide by - i.e. an 18 rated game cannot knowingly be sold directly to an under 18 year old, it is literally illegal. Indeed the UK is very proactive on this with all age-restricted products, from video games to booze, most companies have a policy of "if you look under 25, we will ID you", because it keeps them safe from major prosecution if they stick to it.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Senators can be arrested for corruption? Damn, that's news to me.
I'd wager a lot more of them should be in jail.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Public corruption as opposed to private corruption? Is that like racketeering as opposed to tax evasion?

You'd think everyone would want their corruption to be private.

I've completely missed the point haven't I....

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
RA92 said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
RA92 said:
Andy Chalk said:
KGO-TV [http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/san_francisco&id=9480515] in San Francisco reported that the FBI executed a series of search warrants this morning in a "widespread sweep involving suspected gang members."
Can someone elaborate more on that? Was he involved in gang-related crimes?

Maybe he could be the next GTA protagonist.
Well if you read more than the first two paragraphs, or at least skimmed them, you'd have seen that the article says that details of the arrest (ie: what he did) haven't been released yet.
Which is why I asked whether anybody can.
About as many people can tell you about what he did as can tell you about Fallout 4. Nobody. Because the information hasn't been released yet.

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
While I know this is probably going to be controversial as hell and will also probably get me in trouble with the moderators, it just has to be mentioned. Perhaps I'm the only one, but has anyone else noticed that when a democrat says something stupid, does something illegal, or pushes some sort of anti-games agenda, their party affiliation is never mentioned? When a republican does the same, The Escapist always makes sure to slap that 'R' next to their name. But the guy who's so far to the left, he makes Engles look like a conservative? Nope! He's just some 'random anti-games politician.' Just thought I'd add in my two cents.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Ahahahahahahahah. Just desserts. Also, the guy is just a general asshole even without his crusade against video games.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Ferisar said:
Interesting. Would be interesting to know more details as to the nature of his arrest.

Also confused about all this "man this guy tried to make a policy against games so good thing he gets to go to jail"

There's pretty much zero correlation here :p Even less so considering I doubt his crime has anything to do with games. (And if it does then this could be easily disregarded)
there's no direct correlation, however he tried fucking with something we love, lied about it, rallied against it, and demonized it. now he gets to go to jail, where he can rally against having a new lover named "Tank" with equally futile results.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
LysanderNemoinis said:
While I know this is probably going to be controversial as hell and will also probably get me in trouble with the moderators, it just has to be mentioned. Perhaps I'm the only one, but has anyone else noticed that when a democrat says something stupid, does something illegal, or pushes some sort of anti-games agenda, their party affiliation is never mentioned? When a republican does the same, The Escapist always makes sure to slap that 'R' next to their name. But the guy who's so far to the left, he makes Engles look like a conservative? Nope! He's just some 'random anti-games politician.' Just thought I'd add in my two cents.
Where in the article did it say that he was a republican? Did I miss something?

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
grey_space said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
It doesn't. Yee is an extremely left-wing democrat, but the article never once mentions what party he belongs to. But when a republican does something illegal or anti-game or just plain stupid, The Escapist always makes sure to mention said politician is a republican. I'll leave the conclusion to this little thought experiment to you and all other readers of The Escapist.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
LysanderNemoinis said:
grey_space said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
It doesn't. Yee is an extremely left-wing democrat, but the article never once mentions what party he belongs to. But when a republican does something illegal or anti-game or just plain stupid, The Escapist always makes sure to mention said politician is a republican. I'll leave the conclusion to this little thought experiment to you and all other readers of The Escapist.
Ah I see...Absence of something proves something else. Thanks man!

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Get wrecked, noob. lrn2politics.

(I know what's happening here isn't related to gaming, but I got sad when Oscar Pistorius killed his girlfriend, I can be happy when Loland Yolo gets arrested on corruption charges.)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
And would this be news if he wasn't also the "anti-video game" guy, though the two are likely unrelated? Probably not. The fact that he's a Senator is the only real reason needed to believe him corrupt. This isn't some huge moral victory for gamers or whatever.

CriticalMiss said:
He'll never get locked up, he has the best lawyer in all the lands to defend him. Jack Thompson!
More like, he won't get locked up--he's a senator!

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
WhiteTigerShiro said:
RA92 said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
RA92 said:
Andy Chalk said:
KGO-TV [http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/san_francisco&id=9480515] in San Francisco reported that the FBI executed a series of search warrants this morning in a "widespread sweep involving suspected gang members."
Can someone elaborate more on that? Was he involved in gang-related crimes?

Maybe he could be the next GTA protagonist.
Well if you read more than the first two paragraphs, or at least skimmed them, you'd have seen that the article says that details of the arrest (ie: what he did) haven't been released yet.
Which is why I asked whether anybody can.
About as many people can tell you about what he did as can tell you about Fallout 4. Nobody. Because the information hasn't been released yet.
But... what if a Fallout 4 developer happens to frequent the forums?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Its always nice to see a corrup politician get caught. Its a bonus to see one that kept making stupid statement after stupid statement wasting everonyes money in the process.
Sometimes i think there should be some test needed to be passed to determine a person is intelligent enough to even run for politics.

LysanderNemoinis said:
a similar question was posed before. i cant find the link now to that thread but one of the members went through the last 20 politicians mentioned on escapist and concluded that both sides were fairly equally in numbers of named and unnamed. It may depend more on the person writing the article than anything i think.