Senator Yee Wants You to Send Him a Kinect Instead

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
... What promises to parents? Since when is there a single consciousness within the videogame to make these promises? >.>

Also, on another note, I think us non-American English-speakers ought to be able to be involved with the VGVN somehow; after all, us poor sods tend to get our games localised through America for the most part, and resultant accents aside, that means we get them complete with America's censorship on top of our own.

It'll come later, but if California's efforts go through, there's a possibility it'll have a knock on effect on us poor buggers and all as things go bad for the localisation companies. .. Either that, or, well, out countries might actually be forced to quit being so lazy finally.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
I have an idea that will win us this case:

Buy him a copy of Minecraft. He will be so wrapped up in it that he will miss the court case, we win by default.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"I can only assume these broken controllers must represent the broken promises of the video game industry to parents"
Broken promises? What promises were those, pray tell?
The promises you invented in your head? The promises to hold gaming to a double-standard in entertainment? The promises to kill gaming culture for no other reason than to please a group of old farts who have absolutely no idea what they are talking about?

I don't remember the video game industry making any of those promises. For someone who brags about their support of the First Amendment, you sure do seem hell-bent on undermining it entirely.
If the courts rule in his favor, what's to stop them from overturning previous 1st Amendment rulings on the same precedent? That's really what's at stake here.

Using such logic, the First Amendment might as well read:
"You can create what you want...as long as it agrees with my personal opinion."

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Hypocritical politician is [del]hypocritical[/del] politician.

Maybe someone should send him a Kinect though, to show him that we aren't evil assholes.

Zyphonee

Mar 20, 2010
Gudrests said:
He has to see what this will do if it passes...i really hope they all know its going to fail and they just want the govinator to look bad or something...i mean common guys....these are people's jobs your messing with...and some peoples sanity... i know a few people who just might of lost it if it wasent for people...no not people..friends that they have met over the internet.... this is a medium if any that creates bonds that no movie, book, or anything can make...dont kill it for all the people who love this medium and have fond memories of playing it with people who have passed.
I was discussing that with a friend who, coincidentally, I met because of a game. Games are currently enjoyed by nearly everyone. That means that an otherwise segregated part of society (Geeks) are now starting to be deemed as "Cool", which means that they are obtaining the human contacts and social development that, as socially awkward individuals, they wouldn't obtain, thus encouraging them further to do something meaningful.

wiiwiieddie

Mar 3, 2010
wow. this with the other guy telling us to go to hell makes me think these video game demonizers are steping up to internet trashtalk. this may get interesting.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Zyphonee said:
Gudrests said:
He has to see what this will do if it passes...i really hope they all know its going to fail and they just want the govinator to look bad or something...i mean common guys....these are people's jobs your messing with...and some peoples sanity... i know a few people who just might of lost it if it wasent for people...no not people..friends that they have met over the internet.... this is a medium if any that creates bonds that no movie, book, or anything can make...dont kill it for all the people who love this medium and have fond memories of playing it with people who have passed.

I was discussing that with a friend who, coincidentally, I met because of a game. Games are currently enjoyed by nearly everyone. That means that an otherwise segregated part of society (Geeks) are now starting to be deemed as "Cool", which means that they are obtaining the human contacts and social development that, as socially awkward individuals, they wouldn't obtain, thus encouraging them further to do something meaningful.
I was thinking more along the line of most of the memories i have with my Grandpa (rest his soul) were playing Donkey Kong and Crystal Quest on the SNES..and super mario brothers i think 2?...but..we always used to play anytime i went over..and he died before we beat it...its been about 10 years now and every time im there i sit down and try and finish it...how can someone try to destroy the industry that made that kind of memory?..and i agree with you too...it brings people from all walks of life together..hell..someone i reall care about i met through a video game...and to this day about 4-5 years later...we still stay in contact..and anyone who hurts her is dead if she tells me lol...and she has helped me through alot...i dont understand the idea behind destroying this all?...

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
When will politians learn that it's the PARENTS JOB to monitor what their children play?! The industry has never made any promise that children would never play "M" rated game, but would require ID to buy them, which is more than the film industry does.

In short, this law is the result of lazy parents who want to government to do their job for them. The government and the video game industry are not AND SHOULD NOT BE responsible for parents who choose to give 10 year olds a copy of Halo 3 when they are not old enough nor mature enough to handle it.

Seriosuly, it's a wonder I make it out of bed in the morning, seeing all this stupidity in the government.
Matt_LRR said:
FargoDog said:
Matt_LRR said:
I can only assume these broken controllers must represent the broken promises of the video game industry to parents," Adam Keigwin, the Senator's chief of staff, told GamePolitics.
Fuck you, you smarmy asshole. Pull your head out of your ass.

-m

edit: Sorry, I shouldn't be so angry, but that comment really gets under my skin. What a fucking douche.
I agree.

I never realised the video game industry had made any form of promises to parents. After all, they've been making mature games for adults for a long time now. The fucking parents should be apologising due to the fact they let their precious little children play games that, you know, are designed for fucking adults.
Beyond that - the industry effectively and clearly age rates games, engages in constant campaigns to educate and inform parents, includes age restiction tools in the consoles themselves, and more effectively self-regulates than film or music.

It's parents breaking the promises here. It's parents failing to listen, it's parents assuming all games are kids toys, and it's parents making the choice not to use the tools at hand to be parents.

And it's all fucking bullshit. I'm so sick of hearing this line of "the industry hs to pull it's weight." THE INDUSTRY IS PULLING MORE THAN YOU ARE.

it fucking drives me NUTS.

-m
THANK YOU! This is exactly the point I'm trying to make.

Zero_ctrl

Feb 26, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
Adam Keigwin said:
I can only assume these broken controllers must represent the broken promises of the video game industry to parents.
That's low, sir, not that I would expect anything else.
Quoted for truth.
Hey, I got a message that people don't agree with me.
Let's twist it so they do!
No repercussions to this, nope, not a all.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I don't know.. I'm not sure what having a Kinect would do to the guy.

I mean, we all know regular videogames are mass murder simulators that train children to be unstoppable vicious brutal killing machines, right? I'm sure a device like the Kinect that removes the traditional controller and forces game players to physically act out murder and mayhem would have the power to sculpt a strong willed adult mind as well.

As much as I may not like Mr. Yee, I certainly wouldn't want to see him turned into a mindless killing machine like we all are already.

Now, if you'll excuse me...
*goes off to murder and/or maim something*

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
American politicians, especially conservatives are very interesting species. They see no problem with selling guns to any schmuck who walks into a gun store but they do care about video games a lot. Yep, censoring video games is gonna save America. Screw guns, guns don't kill people, video games kill people apparently. You know it doesn't really matter what becomes of this law. A couple of years from now our generation will rise to power and we know that games aren't bad so we will simply make normal laws.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
Those responses were actually pretty funny. I respect cleverness, regardless of its source.