Sequels: When are they best?

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
I think about 2 years between sequels seems to work nicely, anything shorter generally doesn't come out feeling like a sequel, more like an add-on.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Two or three years seems about right. *Looks over at Guitar Hero*

Cargando

Apr 8, 2009
I think the best sequel I've come across is Half-Life 2 but, the release dates are far and few between for it.

Usually I find that in the film industry the second films are generally best as the film-writers still have plenty of ideas, and don't have a solid guarantee that everyone will see it, so they put plenty of effort in.

I think about a year is the best time for a new sequel to be made.

TheGreatCoolEnergy

Aug 30, 2009
Time is much of a factor when it comes to sequels. If they do a good job, then they did a good job. If they do a bad job, 3 more years wont change that

Sipo

Jul 25, 2009
ya def stop at 2 in most cases. except fer final fantasy who should have ended it at 7 =/

Axeli

Jun 16, 2004
Sipo said:
ya def stop at 2 in most cases. except fer final fantasy who should have ended it at 7 =/
Other than the usual FF7 fanboyism, that's pretty silly for the simple reason that FFs aren't sequels or prequels to each other (in the main series anyway).

oneniesteledain

Aug 5, 2009
I think a year or so for expansions, a few years for sequels.

A decade or so seems a little silly (says he who is buying SC2 as soon as it comes out).

Adam

Apr 28, 2009
I think there shouldnt be more than 3 sequals for any one franchise unless the sequal is very different from the game preceding it, for example Final Fantasy. I think the period between sequels should be long 3-5 years

xXRikuXx

Sep 1, 2009
I think a longer time is best, it builds hype and actually gives you something to look forward to even if it doesn't come out for an other year. The thing is occasionaly games dont meet expectation...which sucks but still if they take longer to release it, it will probably be a much better game, and if its not....atleast it is better than it would have been if it was released sooner

TPiddy

Aug 28, 2009
Sequels should really depend on the developers. If they have a lot of ideas that didn't make it into the last release, they could choose to release it as DLC or save it for a whole new game, like the upcoming Left 4 Dead 2. Many people were upset with Valve over releasing it a year later as a separate game, but if the game strays that differently from the first it's a good idea to make it a sequel.

As for timing between them that's really up to the studios and what they've got going on. I'm happy to wait 2 years for a sequel that sequel ends up being Gears of War 2 or Saints Row 2. I have high hopes for Mass Effect 2 and Assassin's Creed 2, both are seeing slightly longer than 2 year turn-arounds due to delays.

The new Halo release is a different take on the universe and as such justifies it being it's own game. Sequels are typically better in gaming because it gives them a chance to get feedback and learn from their mistakes.

However, taking too long could really be a problem for some devs, just look at the upcoming Gran Turismo... the game has been in development for so long and the expectations for it are so high, they may never live up to them. At least with a steady release schedule and cycle the fans don't overvalue games due to extended wait periods.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
I would like less (none, preferrably) sequels. I think that sequels invalidate the original games. I would rather see expansions that add to the game, adding more content to it. In the era of DLC, considering the consoles have been sold with it in mind, it is sad to see few developers take advantage of it, rather choosing to withhold content to milk customers for it.

I still have older games with many problems and glitches that haven't been fixed with patches beyond those that are game-breaking (and in some cases, those still exist). Developers will instead focus on crafting a sequel to the game instead of fixing said older game, essentially shafting the customers that have already placed their faith in the company.

Instead of sequels, develop new games and add to the old ones. That's my take on the subject, and it's sad to see the gaming environment devolve itself into that of the movie industry all for the sake of money. No one takes pride in their work anymore, I guess...

Shepard's Shadow

Don't be afraid of the dark.
Mar 27, 2009
2 to 3 years. Any less the game will probably be bad, any more the game might have "problems".

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
Sequels needs some time after their predecessors...

This way perhaps some time, effort and thought can be put into them. Take Metal Gear Solid for example, the main series is epic. Each one had about 3-4 years between them (if memory serves) and each one was worth the wait, despite their shortcomings.

I also must contradict myself here after the mention of Metal Gear, and just add that I prefer sequels that don't rely on knowing the backstory of the predecessors. I hate having to backtrack to an old PS1 game or even a PS2 era game when a new game comes out to be able to fully enjoy it. Thankfully MGS is the only series I know of where that's an issue and I played the series beforehand anyway, though it's still annoying not experiencing the events of Outer Haven and Zanzibarland without tracking back to the MSX era.

Sipo

Jul 25, 2009
Axeli said:
Sipo said:
Other than the usual FF7 fanboyism, that's pretty silly for the simple reason that FFs aren't sequels or prequels to each other (in the main series anyway).

O IM SORRY. that was stupid of me. i guess u won the nerd-off. congrats

Fluffee

Aug 9, 2009
After 2 the development team should be shipped off to a remote island, like spider man 3, ha ha haaa..... god, everything related to that abomination was like watching a bear fight a kitten, so sad its disgusting.

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
Quality, not the amount of time in between. And on that note, when a developer leaves everything good from the first game in the game and fixes the bad stuff.