Series that didn't die, or got resurrected

end_boss

Jan 4, 2008
Okay, so now the opposite to my last thread, asking about games that killed their series. I'm shocked that several people mentioned Fallout 3, well before it'll even reach the shelves.

This time, we're going to put a positive spin on things. Which games series have not been killed yet? Which series have you played through, and each game has provided a positive experience?

For me, the Quest for Glory series provides me with five games, all of which I can play and enjoy, and range from "very good" to "brilliant." Certain games do have their quirks that tried to fix what wasn't broken, but they also tended to bring something else to the table to compensate for it. By QFG5, they'd tested the waters enough and came through with a game for which I can't think of any glaring criticisms.

Although a short-lived series, Syndicate and Syndicate Wars were both strong titles, and although I much prefer the original, the sequel was still a great game, and certainly nowhere near making me even think of possibly disowning the Syndicate banner.

The above statement can also substitute "Syndicate" for "Castles" and retain its accuracy.

The Crusader games and the Darksun games, two titles per series, have also done me no wrong, based on the recognition that the fans loved the games for what they were, and everybody was content with more of the same, and so they didn't mess anything up. The only note to make on that is the fact that Darksun: Wake of the Ravager tried to make the sprites bigger, and ended up making them look like ass, but it was still playable and fun.

So, now it's your turn: which game series are still standing tall in your eyes? Which games came out with sequels that actually put forth the effort to give back to the players, rather than be designed to take their money? Which series had heart all the way through?

I'm sure this one will open quite a few more debates and discussions, or at least I hope.

EDIT: I'm also opening up this thread to series that got "killed," and the games that redeemed them. I'm not sure if I can think of a good example of this, but feel free to discuss them. Did any game pull a series out of the mud? Symphony of the Night, perhaps?

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
FF, that series has more momentum now than a fat man in a rocket.

some say its in a slump, though FFX11 did experiment with the combat, i loved it, but i seem to be alone in that regard...

the universe is beautifully deep, the cutscenes spectacular, the scale gorgeous, the equipment spells and classes varied... i just wish when i put on a damn diamond breastplate, Vaan would change clothes damnit!, a little vesty things does not equate to the epicly named armor i buy for him!

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Halo. Yes, you may hate me, but this is my opinion; I'm not forcing you to agree. I liked all 3 Halo games (2 had good gameplay, which is what I look for in a game), and I had fun (and still do, playing the metagame). I can't really think of another game at this moment. I'll add some as I think of them.

- A procrastinator

Iffypop

Apr 2, 2008
I agree. I've found Halo to be a rich universe that has been extremely well executed and the series of books surrounding the plot are excellent. There is far more to that universe than "chief is a badass lol" and I'm really looking forward to any future work Bungie may do on that Universe, even if we see no more Spartans.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
Huzzah!!!!

Bigtime halo fan here, loved all 3 in both gameplay and story, and i think what wont die is its loyal non-fanboy fanbase, i reckon what with all the Halo-bashing, only the toughest survive!

AsbestosKidney

Dec 5, 2007
You know, I am glad that someone mentions the QFG games, I really loved those! Not everyone liked number 5, but I found it really immersive.

A series that really springs to mind is the Total War-series that keeps innovating itself and is still going strong in my opinion.

And the Disciples series, hopefully the third installment will be as nice as the 2nd, which I still play regularly.

In my opinion it was a pity that Sirtech who made the Wizardry games eventually went defunct because of a too small marketing budget. I spent many, many, many hours playing Wizardry 8 (which came out in 2000 or 2001 or something) and I just recently picked it up again.

Oh, and though the Dungeon Keeper series got killed off a while ago, I still find myself playing Dungeon Keeper 1 now and then, and I still love it :p

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
I think Far Cry Instincts increased the popularity of the Far Cry series especially on the console front.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
Well, I think that Spy Hunter died after years of non-use, only to come back in the PS2 incarnation.

Sparkly-elf

Feb 23, 2008
I always tend to go back to the classics. Doom still does it for me. The Hexen and Heretic series, I loved Heretic II better than the first because they changed the combat and game more interesting weapons, put you in 3rd person and the terrain was more expansive, but Heretic I is still awesome.

God of War I always found rather enjoyable, even if I found it quite similar to Prince of Persia, but both were good games, and great series.

Still love half-life, It's just... gah so much fun.

I like Dynasty Warriors, even though it's roughly the same game again and again with more characters and scene changes and alterations to the story-line (however slight).

Soul calibur, BUT for the sole reason that the character designs are incredible, the graphics were really advanced for their time, the voice acting and game direction was very good too.

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
I liked the command and conquer series, red alert 2, generals, command and conquer 2 and 3, all were good fun to play and I don't regret buying each one. Granted Yuri's revenge (red alert 2 expansion) did stuff up the multi-player, but I still loved them all.

I still play renegade and red alert 2 online today now and again.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
From the retro-gaming world: Dizzy, Sonic, and Alex Kidd. Three series that didn't die for bloody ages, although given the quality of their later output they probably should have been put to sleep humanely long before they actually ended.

(Actually... are they still releasing games featuring Sonic? I seem to recall a mention of him in Yahtzee's review of SSBB?)

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Oh yeh, I forgot Half-Life, COD (3 stumbled, but it wasn't too bad) and Devil May Cry (can we forget 2?).

- A procrastinator

Nettacki

Feb 25, 2008
The Tekken series is still alive and strong for me, even after 6 main incarnations and despite some missteps along the way. Same goes for Virtua Fighter.

On that note, I feel that the Ratchet and Clank series on the PS family has always gone strong, never really fixing what was never broken, while still taking a few risks now and then.

Nov 28, 2007
Personally, I have never played a bad GTA game. Sure, the story was a bit poor in GTA:SA, but I didn't play it for the story, I played it for the opportunity to shoot random pedestrians and have an epic flight guarded by police that ended in me skydiving into Area 69. And it delivered in spades on that front. As for resurrected series, Tomb Raider Legend was awesome, and I would be very remiss in not mentioning Metal Gear Solid.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
The Metroid and Castlevania games, although both taking different approaches from their originals, still have some really great games coming out here and there. Sure, some titles are crap, but most of them are still great.

And of course, Dragon Quest is always making itself better and better between each title. And no, I don't count the spinoff stuff like DQM, I'm just talking the actual numbered titles. (DQIX looks to already be shaping up quite nicely)

Apr 25, 2008
The only game that comes to mind in this topic is probably Guild wars...
Guild Wars prophecies seems to be the least-favorite campaign, it was the original one and not as rewarding as it's other campaigns.
Guild wars nightfall definitely revived the game, by bringing in customizable heroes and a decent campaign.
Guild wars factions just sucked anyway.

Jakkar

Mar 22, 2008
Hitman.

Four games in, and only improving, a quite brutally challenging, uncompromising innovator from the start that has never let go of a sense of maturity, combined with some dark humour.

May Io never die. Even if they continue to produce utter shit like Kane and Lynch ._.

And I can certainly add a vote for GTA. From 2d to 3d, seven games from GTA, GTA: London, GTA 2, GTA 3, GTA Vice City, GTA San Andreas and GTA Liberty City Stories, and now an extremely promising looking release just a few days from now... I've never failed to enjoy one.

I hope, against all evidence, that Fallout will be added to this list next time the topic comes about.