Serious Sam 2

Xombiebubble

Oct 26, 2009
Gasp.
In the wake of Serious Sam 3, I've been replaying my old Serious Sam games. First and Second encounter. Even the Gameboy Serious Sam and, of course, Serious Sam 2.
I really liked Serious Sam 2. It was good fun and I've replayed it many times. but I didn't come here to tell you that, I came here for some opinions.
See, now that Serious Sam is again being talked about, I'm seeing a lot of things posts on various sites of discussion bashing serious Sam 2. People considered it the black sheep of the series and treat it like it never happened.
Well, okay. It took a turn to the goofy side, sure, but its not like The First encounter wasn't. It played pretty much the same. Lots of guns and things go boom in some really cool places. I liked the music and thought it was genuinely funny and camp, if not a little silly.

But dat's just my opinion, yo, and ive never actually spoken to anyone directly with regards to the game. All the negative posts I see are on forums and stuff.

That being said
If you played the Serious Sam series and specifically 2, what did you thnk of it? I liked.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I played about an hour of it and said, "Huh, it's just First Encounter again."

Then deleted it.

Xombiebubble

Oct 26, 2009
Zhukov said:

Then deleted it.
You're referring to Serious Sam 2 and not Second Encounter, right? Some people have confused the two.
Second and First Encounter are pretty much identical. I can see that. Saying that serious Sam 2 is the same as first encounter? I don't see it.

JC175

Feb 27, 2009
I enjoyed Serious Sam 2, but it reeked of trying too hard. It went a little too far in the comical direction, which is why I was a little disappointed that BFE is pretty much HD version of the original. What I'd like to see is a Serious Sam game that walks the line between the two - a realistic but varied setting populated with ridiculous enemies and weapons with just the right amount of badass one-liners on top.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Xombiebubble said:
Zhukov said:

Then deleted it.
You're referring to Serious Sam 2 and not Second Encounter, right? Some people have confused the two.
Second and First Encounter are pretty much identical. I can see that. Saying that serious Sam 2 is the same as first encounter? I don't see it.
Huh. I thought they were the same thing. Shame on me.

Never played SS2. Probably never will.

SS3 was pretty good though.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well it's the split between a well cooked meal and a badly cooked meal, you can have the same ingredients but if you do it wrong it's just wrong.

Best way I can describe what went wrong with SS2 is they tried to make a live action cartoon... none of it fitted together at all.
I would actually go so far as to say it was a garage project parody of Serious Sam, which would be cool as a short cheap indie thing, but when you ask for the big bucks and try sell it as a part of a very cool series... no, just no.

Xombiebubble

Oct 26, 2009
Somonah said:
Xombiebubble said:
But dat's just my opinion, yo,
And with that, your opinion lost all credibility imo.
I'm just trying to use the hip lingo to appeal of the youth of today. if intentionally using stupid language ruins credibility, I'd have none left to ruin so poor grammar for Errybody

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
My biggest issue with Serious Sam 2 was the incorporation of a lives system. I'm all for having a finite number of lives in games where it fits but Serious Sam was never a game where I felt being able to run out of lives fit in. I never made it very far in that game because of that system.

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
Serious sam 2 was badass. It looked gorgeous, and having 2 mates round to play it 3 way LAN was just intense.

It really, really is an awesome game.

AND FREKKING PARROT BOMBS!

Batou667

Oct 5, 2011
Serious Sam 2 is one of the very few games I've ever bought on Launch Day, and likewise one of the very few games I've returned, uncompleted, to the store in disgust a few days later. Make of that, what you will.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Its not a bad game but it goes too wacky for its own good.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I played the shit out of Serious Sam: The First and Second Encounter but never played II unfortunately. I love Serious Sam 3 though...Guess I don't really have anything to say about this then =/