Serious Sam 3 DLC Coming This Fall

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Serious Sam 3 DLC Coming This Fall

Sam Stone is coming back for more in Serious Sam 3: Jewel of the Nile.

Despite the most fervent wishes of Digital Devolver CFO Fork Parker, Serious Sam 3: Jewel of the Nile will not include "digital flesh melons." Instead, we'll get the always-lovable Sam Stone, tons of guns, bigger tons of bad guys and explosions. Lots of explosions. Pretty much exactly what you'd expect, in other words.

The upcoming expansion to the cult-hit shooter will see our intrepid hero take his fight against Mental's hordes to the mysterious Temple of Isis on the topless-beach-free Island of Philae, where another gigantic temple guardian awaits. The pack will feature three new levels - "Gathering of the Gods," "Together Forever" and "Born Again" - plus "the reintroduction of two familiar monstrous faces" and the two secret weapons from Serious Sam 3: BFE [http://www.amazon.com/Serious-Sam-3-BFE-Pc/dp/B006012WA4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1341863203&sr=8-4&keywords=Serious+Sam+3], the laser gun and the sniper rifle.

[gallery=824]

There's not a whole lot new on display in these Jewel of the Nile screens, but that's not terribly surprising. Serious Sam 3 isn't about the evolution of the FPS formula, it's an unapologetic throwback to an era when one guy with all of the guns and none of the cover killed everything that moved in as grotesquely violent a manner as possible and didn't lose a wink of sleep over any of it. If that sounds like a good time to you, this is probably something worth keeping an eye on.

Serious Sam 3: Jewel of the Nile will be out in October, exclusively for the PC.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I wish they'd bring all this to the PS3 sometime. I'd get it if I had a steady job and a good gaming computer.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Hooray! So far this is actually the game I've had the most fun with this year, so you can bet your fannies I'm gonna pick up this expansion as soon as it hits Steam. :D

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Quiet Stranger said:
I wish they'd bring all this to the PS3 sometime. I'd get it if I had a steady job and a good gaming computer.
It's too fast paced for consoles, they'd have to tone it down until it wouldn't even resemble Serious Sam anymore.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
mindlesspuppet said:
Quiet Stranger said:
It's too fast paced for consoles, they'd have to tone it down until it wouldn't even resemble Serious Sam anymore.
I played the ones on xbla, if it's toned down, it's definately not until it wouldn't resemble serious sam anymore".

Did they ever release serious sam 3 on consoles, in fact? I coulda sworn it was going to be on consoles, but I never saw it in stores. Matter of fact, I don't think I even saw it on pc in stores, but that could be because physical PC games are in a decline.

r_Chance

Dec 13, 2008
Big guns? Check. Fast paced? Check. Mass carnage? Check. I'm on it. I like slower paced shooters and RPGs too, but Sam always scratches that old itch...

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Doclector said:
mindlesspuppet said:
Quiet Stranger said:
I played the ones on xbla, if it's toned down, it's definately not until it wouldn't resemble serious sam anymore".

Did they ever release serious sam 3 on consoles, in fact? I coulda sworn it was going to be on consoles, but I never saw it in stores. Matter of fact, I don't think I even saw it on pc in stores, but that could be because physical PC games are in a decline.
The release date for 360 and PS3 hasn't been announced yet for Serious Sam 3.

As for the XLBA versions of SS1st and SS2nd, they had auto-aim, which is a pretty big difference to me.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
mindlesspuppet said:
Doclector said:
mindlesspuppet said:
Quiet Stranger said:

The release date for 360 and PS3 hasn't been announced yet for Serious Sam 3.

As for the XLBA versions of SS1st and SS2nd, they had auto-aim, which is a pretty big difference to me.
Huh. I haven't played it in a while, so I could be wrong, but I don't think there was, and if there was, I'm sure I turned it off. Also, I assume you mean aim assist, because no way in hell was it auto aim metroid prime style.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
mindlesspuppet said:
Not to me. The soul of Serious Sam has always been in killing hordes of varied enemies with an assortment of devastating weapons, and precision shooting doesn't really come into play.

Besides, the aim-assist is an option.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
TheKasp said:
To be honest, I don't play games like Serious Sam with people with your mindset. It is about precise shooting of priority targets while dodging and kiting the hordes. Because the hordes are dodgeable, the big baddies aren't.
You kidding? The biggest enemies are rarely the biggest threats. Most of them attack from a distance with fairly slow moving projectiles, while it's the faster moving melee hoards that provide the most immediate danger. Trying to focus on a reptiloid in the distance while dodging kleers and kamikazes is a good way to get you guts strewn across the ground.

Also, I have yet to see a console FPS where you can have such precise movement that is needed in Serious Sam 3.

Also, aim assist sucks. I can also let someone else play the game for me if I turn on aim assist.
I don't see how movement is less precise with a controller. Aim, sure, but movement? Plus (once again) aim assist is an option, and I think you overestimate just how much it actually does.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Matthew94 said:
It's a decent game but a shit sequel. Every new enemy is shit and just fucks with the flow of the game.

That and it feels way too slow.
Another victim of the modern shooter "realism" (said with massive quotations) epidemic.

I like Modern Warfare. It's fun. But can we stop treating Call of Duty like the template for every fucking shooter? -_-

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
As much as I love Serious Sam 3 and enjoyed every minute of it, I see almost no one online. Has this game even sold? Does anyone play at all? I can't see this DLC going anywhere.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
TheKasp said:
Well, Kamikazi are priority number one because you can't outrun or dodge them. Kleers on the other hand... they are dodgeable and this also quite well. Where the problem comes in if we have a big enemy with a high fire rate of explosive projectiles while playing with other people. The maps in SS 3 tend to throw those guys in areas where you can't spread the player enough to expect everyone to focus on the small guys while dodging the rockets so it would be too risky to keep the big guys alive.

I saw several failures in coop because people tended to ignore the big guys / dodge their projectiles and focus on the small enemies that are less of a threat even in hordes.

Edit: Before we smash our heads in about nothing: You are right for singleplayer. There the big enemies are not that much of a threat.
I'll admit, I haven't had a chance to play BFE myself yet. I'm only going by my experience with TFE and TSE.

Also, minor nitpick here, but if what you say is true then I still fail to see why precision aiming really matters. Bigger enemies are bigger targets, and it helps that most of them don't move all that fast (in TFE and TSE, a few of them never move at all.)