Serious Sam 3 Post-Mortem

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Serious Sam 3 Post-Mortem

The resurrection of Serious Sam involves naked bird ladies, cash, and lots of bullets.

Read Full Article

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
Honestly, I want Fork Parker to write a book. Or do a let's play of Serious Sam. Because my god he's one of the most amusing nutjobs I've ever seen.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Blind Sight said:
Honestly, I want Fork Parker to write a book. Or do a let's play of Serious Sam. Because my god he's one of the most amusing nutjobs I've ever seen.
His eccentricity is a welcome change to the usual pre-chewed PR-spiel I'm used to seeing in interviews, statements and articles.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
interesting. a bit too early and not as in-depth as a typical post-mortem, but interesting nonetheless

EDIT: and does "BFE" stand for "butt-fuck Egypt"?

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
deathbydeath said:
depends on who you ask
most say it's "Before First Encounter"
others do go for the comical "Butt-Fuck Egypt"
and some others go for the dramatic "Battle for Earth"

I just go for Serious Sam 3 and that's it =P

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
This was like reading a Cracked article. Awesome. Anyway it was cool hearing the insane story and ideas of SS. In my opinion, this game is what Duke should have been.

disasta121

Dec 6, 2011
teh_Canape said:
deathbydeath said:
depends on who you ask
most say it's "Before First Encounter"
others do go for the comical "Butt-Fuck Egypt"
and some others go for the dramatic "Battle for Earth"

I just go for Serious Sam 3 and that's it =P
A lot of us also thought it stood for "Big Fucking Encounter," since the firs one was "The First Encounter" and "The Second Encounter." It would also have been a play on the BFG from doom. I'm pretty sure that's what Croteam originally wanted it to mean.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Screw EA and Activision CEO's petty squabbles, this guy knows where it's at.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
disasta121 said:
A lot of us also thought it stood for "Big Fucking Encounter," since the firs one was "The First Encounter" and "The Second Encounter." It would also have been a play on the BFG from doom. I'm pretty sure that's what Croteam originally wanted it to mean.
Would be a better play on it than the one in Duke Nukem Forever, at least.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Damn shame, I'll have to spend my savings on presents rather than Serious Sam 3. :(

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
Blind Sight said:
His eccentricity is a welcome change to the usual pre-chewed PR-spiel I'm used to seeing in interviews, statements and articles.
Its an interesting change, I'll give you that, but its no more informative. Without the other guy's statements, we would have gotten no info on the game.
As we all learned from Zero Punctuation, having a comedic/eccentric style is funny, but without substance its hardly a useful game news article/review.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Someone line Fork Parker up as a special guest call-in for next year's Desert Bus. Hearing a guy talk about "bussing bouncy bits" would be something I'd donate for.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
maxben said:
Its an interesting change, I'll give you that, but its no more informative. Without the other guy's statements, we would have gotten no info on the game.
As we all learned from Zero Punctuation, having a comedic/eccentric style is funny, but without substance its hardly a useful game news article/review.
True. But how often do we get anything of substance from PR statements? Not very. Marketing demands that you keep people relatively in the dark to build anticipation and drop morsels.

Or if your product has nothing really specifically special about it, hype the game up and keep the focus on subjective reasoning. When your potential customers start thinking more objectively and you have little/nothing to show for it, the gig is up.

So to summarize:
"If one must speak in nothings, at least make it interesting."

Jelly ^.^

Mar 11, 2010
I honestly forgot I was reading about a new Serious Sam game and thought it was about Postal 3 until I got about halfway through and re-read the title. Embarrassing.

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
So when is that console port coming out hmmm? Nah I'm not that mean.... GIVE IT TO US NAOO!!!!

TinmanX

Apr 29, 2011
:S

Well if no one else will comment on it, I will.

It is good to see a developer is still out there that isn't caving in to and jumping on the bandwagon of modern FPS game design elements (e.g. regenerating HP, cover systems, limited carrying capacities, reduced game and movement speed and incredibly linear/scripted game play). These elements are what I and many others consider to be degrading factors to the game play in modern FPS games.

Two other games released this year, Duke Nukem Forever and Bulletstorm, both should have filled this void but instead were bogged down with modern FPS game design elements. The results speak for themselves, games that were (in my opinion) unplayable and unbearable to watch. Even in today's modern war shooters, what is considered skillful and strategic play usually boils down to camping down the end of a hallway and pressing fire when people appear in a doorway. It bothers me how we went from the glory days of SS/Quake/UT to today's games which in all honesty should be branded as a completely different genre. Maybe something like this: Mostly-First-Person-Shoot-The-Same-Boring-Thing-The-Same-Boring-Way-While-Bobbing-Over-A-Wall-Sucking-Your-Thumb-er ... or something.

This video sums it up pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU

Back on topic however, SS3 is an excellent game that pays homage to the FPS games of older generations. It is fast, difficult and will require some effort, skill and determination from the player to get through (as these sort of games should). Croteam have done an excellent job with the franchise and the revival of the genre. It will last you a good 15 hrs on normal difficulty which is a bargain for a cheap FPS game these days. I would highly recommend it to everyone but I know that it is not the type of game that everyone wants to play these days. Which is unfortunate.